• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
In my mind? No. But that's a call Erik will have to make. Me, I just think it's a little late to start asking them to make changes since the product is slated for 2006..and generally it takes about 5-6 months for the product to finish layout after the initial write ups. I'm just saying...

JoeGKushner

First Post
James Jacobs said:
All I can say to this is to wait and check out the book. There's no way a book like this can be perfect for everyone, although we're trying to get as close to that goal as we can without going insane in the process. I do know that in the sections Erik and I have done, only 10% or so would fit into the category of "new player options." I know that I certainly agree that we've got more than enough new feats, tactics, spells, and equipment for PCs—anything new at this point needs to be justified and supported by flavor and story.

I can say this, though: a lot of those new options for PCs aren't necessarilly good for "fighting" demons, but ARE pretty good for PCs who want to gain new powers and abilities by consorting with them or summoning them to use them as minions or to steal powers from them.

Back in the day, when Bard Games was around, they had this little class called the Necromancer. They bargained with and summoned demons. Neat little class. Maybe between this and the Death Master from the Dragon Compendium, I can recreate a little of that terror.

Hey all! :)

Regarding Abominations versus Demon Lords/Princes. Both are Quasi-deities in the official rules. So it basically boils down to the inherant power of the creature.

However, abomination Hit Dice is representative of size to some degree and similar size abominations would seem to have more Hit Dice than the average Demon Lord/Prince.

I think if we were to create a level playing field that they would all be on the same steading though. By that I mean the ELH monsters were designed specifically for epic play, whereas the Demon Lords were designed more for non-epic (or borderline epic) play.

Although its interesting to note that the power increase of the 3.5 Balor has it fairly close to the power of an Infernal. Presumably that means if anything, the Demon Lords/Princes will get a slight boost when updated to 3.5...?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
more than likely, it would seem. there is no guarantee (in fact, id' say it's not particularly likely) that there will be archfiend stat blocks in FC1 since they are elsewhere already, though there could be an update (in the form of, extra skill point here, fixed DC here), or there could be stats for lords not already detailed elsewhere.

however, Erik dropped a nicely vague hint in the direction that there will be clarification on the power levels themselves of the archdemons. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads