Fiendish Servant (bollixed 'bout blackguard badguys)

Corwin

Explorer
So a Fiendish Servant eventually picks up SR when the blackguard reaches 19-20 ChL. It gets SR equal to the blackguards ChL+5.

So what? The fiendish template already provides SR equal to the creatures HDx2 (maximum 25).

Let's take a fiendish warhorse as possessed by as blackguard with 16 ChL's. At this point it has yet to have the special SR provided by the blackguard class feature.

Yet, as a 4 HD (base) creature with +6 HD (for blackguard ChL), it has SR 20 (due to being fiendish).

Am I missing something here? What gives?

Is it something as silly as the rule unintentionally suggesting the fiendish template is not actually used? Is there a semantics problem here? It seems obvious that the servant is indeed fiendish.

hong

WotC's bitch
At character level 20, the SR from the blackguard list (25) exceeds that from the fiendish template (24). Moreover, this is only for the fiendish horse. A blackguard can have other servants, some of which are mentioned in the text (bat, cat rat, etc). These would have less HD than the fiendish horse, so the blackguard ability would grant a bigger benefit.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Btw, the SR of the fiendish warhorse does not improve with the additional HD granted by increased Blackguard character levels.

Just as Paladin's mount doesn't improve its SR, if it is a celestial warhorse.

Corwin

Explorer
Sorry, I took so long to respond, it's been a long weekend. So, back to business...

hong said:
At character level 20, the SR from the blackguard list (25) exceeds that from the fiendish template (24). Moreover, this is only for the fiendish horse. A blackguard can have other servants, some of which are mentioned in the text (bat, cat rat, etc). These would have less HD than the fiendish horse, so the blackguard ability would grant a bigger benefit.

I can see your point, to an extent. But even something as small as a toad will have SR up through the levels. The blackguard class description seems to say that the servant doesn't get any SR until its master reached 19-20 ChL. It just seemed odd to me. And even then, the final SR for the blackguard feature is only going to bump it by a few points. It's not like the ability is finally something to notice.

AGGEMAM said:
Btw, the SR of the fiendish warhorse does not improve with the additional HD granted by increased Blackguard character levels.

Just as Paladin's mount doesn't improve its SR, if it is a celestial warhorse.

Could you please give me a reference? I've looked in the FAQ and eratta and can find no such rule.

The bonus HD apply to the creature. It's saves, BAB, etc. go up by this bonus as well. Why wouldn't anything else HD related? I can't seem to find a rule to contradict this. Nor can I figure out why it should. Fiendish is fiendish and its SR is based on its HD.

I just couldn't figure out why it says what it says if it is what it is. ;)

New thought:

Should a blackguard be allowed to apply his fiendish servant ability to a dragon as a paladin can with his warhorse ability (re: DotF)? Of course, he would have to take the Leadership feat just like the paladin, and be of sufficient level, etc.

But, I'm thinking it should work the same, no?

[editted for a few glaring typos]

Last edited:

Remove ads