log in or register to remove this ad

 

Fiend's Embrace - IC Thread

Malvoisin

First Post
The afternoon sun is already beginning its descent in the sky as you make your way into Eru Tovar. You know little of this frontier town on the edge of civilization, but a quick observation reveals that the town is people by nomadic warriors, commoners, merchants, travelers, and a few adventurers such as yourself. All told, Eru Tovar bustles with activity. Vendors vie with one another to hawk their wares, while travelers and locals clutch their money purses protectively. The smoky scent of rustic food fills the air. Lightly armored men with scimitars and tattoos marking them as Swords of the Tarkhan patrol the streets, ever vigilant in maintaining the peace and enforcing the Tarkhan's laws.

(OOC: Please role-play your character's arrival at the town, and let me know where you want to go. The appointed meeting with Arakk is at the Wyvern's Sting Inn, at sundown...judging from the sun's current position in the sky, that's about an hour from now.)
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Land Outcast

Explorer
Another day, another destiny... Idivien doesn't remove his hood

With one hour for sundown the best I could do would be try and learn anything about this noble before meeting him face to face

"And you keep your beak closed... for the time being" Idivien's voice surprisedly is not muffled by the cloth over his mouth. At the same time a soft voice and a no-nonsense tone, delaying the pronunciation over "s".

Seeing the Swords of Tarkhan, the man's hand shoots instinctively under the cloak and grasps his rapier's serpent-skin wrapped pommel... he relaxes, reminds himself that he is here for a honest work... or at least a not outright dishonest work.

Feeling the Raven's talons tighten their grip, he musters "Yes, search information about the noble". Then he strides towards the nearest inn, tavern, or shop. He will try and find out something about his new employer.

OOC:
1) Do we arrive all together? Or do we find out who we are going to work with at the inn?
2) Gather Information +6
 

Malvoisin

First Post
Land Outcast said:
OOC:
1) Do we arrive all together? Or do we find out who we are going to work with at the inn?

OOC: I had assumed that you would all arrive separately (which strains the limits of credibility, I know; assuming the five strangers just happen to arrive in town at roughly the same time is a stretch, but still, for the sake of convenience... :))
 

The Swords of the Tarkhan swing the heavy door open and Harval Barleybeard is momentarily blinded by the afternoon sunlight.

"'ow many days?" the dwarf croaks out.

They prod at him with their scimitars, herding him out of the stone shed he's been staying in long enough for it to smell like him for a week to come.

"Three days." They drop the dwarf's gear in a pile before him, and the dwarf checks each bit of gear before putting it on, heedless of the reactions his very hairy nude form is provoking, including causing several small children playing on this edge of Eru Tovar to burst into tears. His back is criss-crossed with lash marks and his wrists and ankles still bear welts where he was tied, spread-eagled, to the whipping posts. "Next time, maybe you won't get cute and punch the Tarkhan's own horse."

"... was drunk," is Harval's only reply. The guards snort a little to themselves, as though to suggest the dwarf being sober would be unthinkable. Finally, Harval is fully dressed. He looks from one guard to the other. "Leaving town soon, anyway."

"The Tarkhan's stablemaster will be glad to hear it."

The pair stand aside as Harval ambles down the dusty path, torn between getting a roast bit of meat from a stall or drinking his dinner at the Wyvern's Sting. In the end, he decides to do both.
 
Last edited:

Rayex

First Post
Gnro - Lizard Favoured Soul

Silently walking around the streets, observing and absorbing the life of a "great, big city", Gnro carefully pulls her cowl down to hide her features. These big folk would certainly not appreciate a lizard in their street, she guess.

So this is life in the city. I already miss the forests. Wonder where this Wyvern is though.

Mustering up courage, she slowly walks through the streets, looking for someone nice-looking, perhaps someone blind, to ask for directions.
 
Last edited:

Voadam

Hero
The tall armored elf strides down the thoroughfare shaking the trail dust from his form.

With the witch Elenora dead her pact making coven split and fled to the corners of Oerth. Aeligim's best lead, wrested from the dying breath of one of her goblin servitors, was that Sayla had flown to the Cold Marshes to attempt to restart the Brown Circle and complete her bargains with fiends. This collector's expedition would be just what Aeligim needed to enter the Marshes and get a feel for the unknown land and perhaps learn of a good guide for the area he could convince to help him track down the dangerous fiendslave and whatever minions she is gathering.
 

Malvoisin

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Idivien strides towards the nearest inn, tavern, or shop. He will try and find out something about his new employer.

OOC:
2) Gather Information +6
Idivien looks around, and notices a merchant hawking meat pies, sausages on a stick, and other hearty fare from a streetside cart. He approaches, just as a dishevelled, battered looking dwarf with thick reddish hair is walking away. The tiefling makes an inquiry, to which the merchant stops and thinks for a moment.

Idivien: Gather Information (1d20+6=21)

"Arakk, Arakk, let me see...yeah, I hard of 'im. Not from around these parts, I think he's from one of the cities way south, not sure which. He's a merchant, I guess, but he acts like some kind of nobleman. Spreads a lot of coin around, I hear. Speaking of which, that's got to be worth something to you, right?" The meat seller holds out a greasy palm, and smiles showing his filthy teeth.
 

Malvoisin

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Harval ambles down the dusty path, torn between getting a roast bit of meat from a stall or drinking his dinner at the Wyvern's Sting. In the end, he decides to do both.

Harval stops at a merchant's cart long enough to pick up a plate of salty, greasy meat. He wolfs it down before taking a half dozen steps away from the cart, even as a strange fellow with a dark head covering and a raven on his shoulder approaches.

Thirsty now, as always, Harval turns in the direction of the Wyvern's Sting.
 

Malvoisin

First Post
Rayex said:
Mustering up courage, Gnro slowly walks through the streets, looking for someone nice-looking, perhaps someone blind, to ask for directions.

Gnro spots an old woman seated on the step of one of the many low wooden buildings that make up Eru Tovar. She decides to try her luck, and heads over to ask about the Wyvern's Sting.

The old woman, fortunately, is half-blind but also a bit hard of hearing. Gnro has to shout her request three times, but finally makes herself known.

"Eh? EH? Oh, the Wyvern's Sting, sure, it's just a block thataway." The crone points down the road. "But, what's a little girl like you want at a place like that, hmm? It's no place for kids."
 

Phyrrus

First Post
Walking down the street of Eru Tovar, it took Ortak about five minutes to solve the mystery of why people grew silent and stared at him as he passed by them. At first he thought his time on the road had made him unfit to walk the street, but while he did carry the smell of the road on him, he felt it was no worse than many in the frontier town, and still a great deal better than some that roamed the street. It was not until Korto repositioned himself on his shoulder that Ortak realized that the townsfolk stared not at him, but at his familiar. Korto’s silver skin caught the fading rays of the sun and magnified them creating an aura that Ortak knew the hawk loved. While Ortak had long since embraced Boccob’s tenets of humility, Korto thrived on being seen for what he was, a sentient work of art. Ortak could only imagine how his companion’s ego would grow as time passed and the hawk became more aware of itself and its surroundings.

Stopping to wipe his brow off with his sleeve, Ortak recalled all he could of the local customs and laws of the area. While his main field of study had always been the more obscure facets of history and how magic had shaped it, all of Boccob’s followers normally could be counted on knowing a little bit on a broad range of subjects.

[sblock] Knowledge check (history) +10[/sblock]

As his mind to began to sort through the collected information within, Korto began to grow impatient of staying in the shadows of a building and voiced his displeasure by readjusting once more, allowing his talons to put the slightest pressure on Ortak’s shoulder.

Resuming his walk, as well as wondering for the thousandth time on who was truly in charge of their relationship, Ortak began scanning the wooden signs with names and pictures burned into them.

I can’t imagine that with a name of the Wyvern’s Sting it should be too hard to find.
 
Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
"Arakk, Arakk, let me see...yeah, I hard of 'im. Not from around these parts, I think he's from one of the cities way south, not sure which. He's a merchant, I guess, but he acts like some kind of nobleman. Spreads a lot of coin around, I hear. Speaking of which, that's got to be worth something to you, right?" The meat seller holds out a greasy palm, and smiles showing his filthy teeth.

*craw* *Fatball!* *craw* *craw* the Raven spits out and descends from Idivien's shoulder to be nearer to the meat pies.

Under the cloth, the tiefling smiles.

Worth something to me? Who does this simpleton think I am?

First starts speaking at normal volume, but then says in a confidential tone "Sstrangers are around" And ignoring his hand leans towards the man, with hushed tones, making an effort to keep off his odd pronunciation of the "s", he adds "I hate using that stupid "s" accent, surely cooperating with the Swords is worth something to you... this Arakk being here from the south is spreading quite a bit of coin around, and the Tarkhan's interest is roused... strangers are entering the town"

After this, he stands straight again, winks, and moves his hand to his pouch. "And I could alsso usse a pie"

OOC: Bluff +8 plus any situational modifiers
 
Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
Phyrrus said:
Stopping to wipe his brow off with his sleeve, Ortak recalled all he could of the local customs and laws of the area. While his main field of study had always been the more obscure facets of history and how magic had shaped it, all of Boccob’s followers normally could be counted on knowing a little bit on a broad range of subjects.

Knowledge check (history) +10
Ortak Knowledge (History) Check (1d20+10=20)

[sblock=Ortak]Ortak recalls that the territory of the Wegwiur is a hard land, barely civilized. The Tarkhan's word is law in these parts, and the laws are simple, straightforward, and subject to change as the Tarkhan sees fit. Strangers are scrutinized constantly, with nonhumans always under threat of suspicion. The Wolf Nomads are intermittently in conflict with their distant kinsmen, the Tiger Nomads, each branch viewing themselves as the 'purer' version of the nomadic tradition. Eru Tovar originated as a simple stockade, and grew over time into the large town that it is today. The Wolf Nomads hate the forces of Iuz the Old passionately, and conduct forays and raids against his armies on a semi-regular basis.

(OOC: If there are more specific details you'd like to know, feel free to ask!)[/sblock]
 

Malvoisin

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Under the cloth, the tiefling smiles.

Worth something to me? Who does this simpleton think I am?

First starts speaking at normal volume, but then says in a confidential tone "Sstrangers are around" And ignoring his hand leans towards the man, with hushed tones, making an effort to keep off his odd pronunciation of the "s", he adds "I hate using that stupid "s" accent, surely cooperating with the Swords is worth something to you... this Arakk being here from the south is spreading quite a bit of coin around, and the Tarkhan's interest is roused... strangers are entering the town"

After this, he stands straight again, winks, and moves his hand to his pouch. "And I could alsso usse a pie"

OOC: Bluff +8 plus any situational modifiers

Idivien Bluff Check (1d20+8=22)

The vendor swallows hard as the smile melts from his face. He stammers, "One...one of the...the Swords? Forgive me, lord, I did not recognize you with...with the veil. So sorry. Allow me, I would be honored..." He quickly grabs hold of a steaming meat pie and places it gingerly in Idivien's cloth-wrapped hands. Then he grabs the handles of his cart and trundles away up the street as fast as he can.
 

Land Outcast

Explorer
As the cart departs, the Raven takes flight up to Idivien's shoulder.

Idivien shrugs to himself.

"Let's sseek thiss man who likess sspending coin then" The tiefling walks towards the Wyvern's Sting with a calm pace, scrutinizing each person he sees, more out of custom than of need.

When he enters the Inn, still with the pie on hand, he looks for the one who could be his employer, if he is nowhere to be seen he sits at a table.
 

Malvoisin

First Post
The Wyvern's Sting is easily found, as it lies near the center of Eru Tovar, and seems to be a popular destination for locals and travellers alike for food and drink. The inn's battered sign creaks as it swings in the cool breeze; the facade of its namesake, a faded carved wyvern, snarls with menace.

Inside, the air is thick with the smoke of flaring oil lamps and a roaring corner hearth which staves off the evening's chill. The interior is loud and raucous. Fur-clad local hunters and farmers, herdsmen and traders, mix with road weary travellers, all eating and drinking, talking and laughing. The patrons crowd at the rough-hewn bar or at ramshackle tables, while a handful of waitstaff tries to keep up. There is no evidence of who in this crowd might be Arakk, or even if he is present at all.

Actions?
 

Land Outcast

Explorer
Just like home

Idivien walks up to the bar and calls out the barkeep, at the same time he leaves the pie on the table with evident disgust. The Raven descends from his shoulder and starts pecking at the meat pie.

While he waits for the barkeep to arrive next to him he entertains himself seeing how careless people is with their moneypouches; and remembers that that's nothing compared with how careless they usally are about trusting in strangers. People can lose more coin trusting the wrong people than carrying their coins in a bowl on their head.

Bless their carelessness

He doesn't waste his voice shouting out over the crowd to ask what he's come to ask, and when the barkeep approaches him: "Iss there anyone who might be waiting for me here?"

The crow rises his head from the pie for a second to look at the barkeep, as if daring him to say something against him being there on the bar, eating. And then returns to his pie.
 

Rayex

First Post
Gnro - Lizard Favoured Soul

Looking around herself, carefully keeping the cowl on, the little "halfling" finds a table in a quiet corner. She'll order a glass of watered ale, carefully keeping her face in the dark, as long as possible.

An Inn... So many people gathered in one place, and they all seem so careless. She sigh quietly to herself. Well, if this is where I'm supposed to find this... Arakk? I better wait for him here.

She'll sit quietly, sipping her ale, and watch people in the commonroom, trying to learn how to better blend in.
 

"Oh? Three Dragon Ante? Well, you'll have to explain the rules to me, but if you don't mind a beginner playing with you ..." Harval grins wolfishly as he sits at the table with the gamblers, picking a bit of roast beast from between his teeth with a fingernail.
 

Malvoisin

First Post
Land Outcast said:
While he waits for the barkeep to arrive next to him Idivien entertains himself seeing how careless people are with their moneypouches...

To Idivien's eyes, most of the locals appear to be pretty savvy, and they keep their coin purses clutched close at hand. Apparently, in an unforgiving land such as this one, the people learn to be aware of such things...perhaps they learned the hard way.

Land Outcast said:
Idivien doesn't waste his voice shouting out over the crowd to ask what he's come to ask, and when the barkeep approaches him: "Iss there anyone who might be waiting for me here?"

The barkeep, a heavyset man with a bulbous red nose responds, "Well, if you mean that noble from the south, he's booked up a private room through there." The man jerks a finger over his shoulder, indicating a short hallway leading off from the main common area of the tavern.

Land Outcast said:
The crow rises his head from the pie for a second to look at the barkeep, as if daring him to say something against him being there on the bar, eating. And then returns to his pie.

The barkeep spares one glance for the gluttonous raven, but that's all. Apparently, he's a bit too jaded to make a fuss over the bird.
 

Malvoisin

First Post
Rayex said:
Looking around herself, carefully keeping the cowl on, the little "halfling" finds a table in a quiet corner. She'll order a glass of watered ale, carefully keeping her face in the dark, as long as possible.

An Inn... So many people gathered in one place, and they all seem so careless. She sigh quietly to herself. Well, if this is where I'm supposed to find this... Arakk? I better wait for him here.

She'll sit quietly, sipping her ale, and watch people in the commonroom, trying to learn how to better blend in.

There doesn't seem to be such a thing as a 'quiet corner' in the Wyvern's Sting on this night, but Gnro does find a table with a short leg that wobbles badly. No one is sitting there, so she climbs into a chair and waits for one of the overloaded servers to get to her and take an order. Meanwhile, she observes as a thin man wrapped in a cloak [Idivien], approaches the bar and speaks to the barkeep. His manner of dress marks him as a non-native traveller, much like herself.
 

Presents for Goblins

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top