Fiend's Embrace - IC Thread

Malvoisin

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
"Oh? Three Dragon Ante? Well, you'll have to explain the rules to me, but if you don't mind a beginner playing with you ..." Harval grins wolfishly as he sits at the table with the gamblers, picking a bit of roast beast from between his teeth with a fingernail.

Even as Harval sits and readies himself to take the local rubes to the cleaners (he hopes), he glances up and can't help but notice that the same skinny, cloaked fellow [Idivien] from the vendor's cart on the street is now in the Wyvern's Sting. The stranger approaches the bar and speaks to the barkeep, while his pet bird pecks at some sort of pastry on the counter.

Land Outcast

Explorer
To Idivien's eyes, most of the locals appear to be pretty savvy, and they keep their coin purses clutched close at hand. Apparently, in an unforgiving land such as this one, the people learn to be aware of such things...perhaps they learned the hard way.
Then not exacltly like home

Idivien nods and thanks the barkeep,
"And ssend a bottle of good wine to Mr. Arakk's room"

Then he looks at the crow and gestures him to return to his shoulder, but the pie looks far more interesting... until the tiefling says "Itss okay if you don't mind the localss... It doessn't look like they'd have qualmss about getting a free meal. Pie-filled crow" at this the Raven shoots to peck his hand but Idivien removes it from the bar at time, and the crow, offended -if a crow can be-, returns to his shoulder.

So Idivien makes his way through the tables, the smoke, and the patrons' racket.
He finally gets to the hallway, and knocks on the door twice.

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Then not exacltly like home

Idivien nods and thanks the barkeep,
"And ssend a bottle of good wine to Mr. Arakk's room"
The barkeep nods brusqely, turning to other patrons. "As you like, it will be there soon."

Land Outcast said:
So Idivien makes his way through the tables, the smoke, and the patrons' racket.
He finally gets to the hallway, and knocks on the door twice.
After a brief moment, the door is opened by a handsome man in his mid-forties of average height and proprtionate weight. His long black hair is tied in intricate braids, decorated in the current southern style with red and gold ribbons. He wears fashionable clothing and jewelry that hints of wealth without being ostentatious. His demeanor indicates confidence and intelligence.

In a strong voice he says, "Welcome, I am Arakk, thank you for answering my summons. Please, come in, enjoy some refreshments."

Arakk leads Idivien into the room where a table has been set up with a wide variety of food and drink. A fireplace blazes in the corner, around which have been assembled several chairs and a divan. Arakk seats himself and sips at a cup, waiting to see who else will arrive.

Attachments

• Arakk.jpg
    Arakk.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 80

Rayex

First Post
Gnro - Lizard Favoured Soul

Seeing the other foreign-looking man speaking to the barkeep and entering the room, Gnro takes a few minutes to work up the courage to approach the barkeep.

"I am supposed to meet somewhere here...." her voice trails of in uncertainty of how to continue. She quickly decided not to.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Through the din of the bar, Harval hears the name he had been waiting for, and glances around until he sees where it came from. Glancing at his cards, he sighs; it was a good hand, too.

"Well, boys, I thank you for this lesson, but I'm out." Folding, he nods to the other gamblers with a small nod and heads for the private room, scratching his bicep.

Voadam

Legend
With a creak the door to the Wyvern's Sting opens and the tall elf enters, his eyes scanning the room darkly.

Brushing past the small cowled figure shrinking from the barkeep Aeligim strides up purposefully and catches the heavy-set man's eye, locking his attention. "Where is the man called Arakk?"

Land Outcast

Explorer
Definetely not a fool, for sure not one to doublecross...

"My pleassure Ssir, my name happenss to be Idivien" The tiefling waits for Arakk to sit, then takes a chair in front of the nobleman. His movements reveal fluid grace, and the darkness of his face is intensified by the contrast with the light from the fireplace.

He removes his hood revealing a marble-white skin, sharp factions, and two penetrating dark emerald eyes, all this framed by short raven-black hair. But he does not remove his scarf, and while staring at the fire, the Raven is looking fixedly at Arakk from the divan.

Almost imperceptibly, Idivien unbuckes the sheath of his rapier and lets the sheathed weapon fall at his feet. A good measure of repect is always needed
"I ordered a bottle of wine for your room, but it lookss like you are well provided... Sso, what bringss us to ssuch a welcoming land?"

Malvoisin

First Post
(OOC: I'm just going to NPC Ortak's arrival at the inn so we can keep things moving.)

Rayex said:
Seeing the other foreign-looking man speaking to the barkeep and entering the room, Gnro takes a few minutes to work up the courage to approach the barkeep.

"I am supposed to meet somewhere here...." her voice trails of in uncertainty of how to continue. She quickly decided not to.
Rather than risk a prolonged conversation with the human tavern keeper, Gnro follows the cloaked man, and proceeds down the hallway and gingerly enters Arakk's private room. "Welcome," the nobleman calls out, "you have nothing to fear from me."

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Through the din of the bar, Harval hears the name he had been waiting for, and glances around until he sees where it came from. Glancing at his cards, he sighs; it was a good hand, too.

"Well, boys, I thank you for this lesson, but I'm out." Folding, he nods to the other gamblers with a small nod and heads for the private room, scratching his bicep.
Harval follows shortly behind Gnro, ambling into the appointed meeting room. His eyes linger over the table of refreshments as Arakk bids him welcome as well.

Voadam said:
With a creak the door to the Wyvern's Sting opens and the tall elf enters, his eyes scanning the room darkly.

Brushing past the small cowled figure shrinking from the barkeep Aeligim strides up purposefully and catches the heavy-set man's eye, locking his attention. "Where is the man called Arakk?"
The barkeep spares a moment for direct eye contact, and takes Aeligim's measure. Then he abruptly states, "Down that hall, first door on the right," and points the fiend hunter in the right direction, before turning away. Aeligim strides away, following the rough looking dwarf into the room.

Land Outcast said:
"My pleassure Ssir, my name happenss to be Idivien" The tiefling waits for Arakk to sit, then takes a chair in front of the nobleman. His movements reveal fluid grace, and the darkness of his face is intensified by the contrast with the light from the fireplace.

He removes his hood revealing a marble-white skin, sharp factions, and two penetrating dark emerald eyes, all this framed by short raven-black hair. But he does not remove his scarf, and while staring at the fire, the Raven is looking fixedly at Arakk from the divan.

Almost imperceptibly, Idivien unbuckes the sheath of his rapier and lets the sheathed weapon fall at his feet. A good measure of repect is always needed
"I ordered a bottle of wine for your room, but it lookss like you are well provided... Sso, what bringss us to ssuch a welcoming land?"
Arakk reclines in a relaxed pose, and does not give any perceptible reaction to the tiefling's removal of his hood. He casually sips his wine, nodding in approval when the rogue lowers his weapon to the floor. "Patience, friend, let's allow these others to get settled, thus, I'll not need to repeat myself. The night is young, is it not?"

Finally, a fifth person enters, looking somewhat relieved that he has found the right place. He is a thin and unassuming human with curly brown hair and green eyes, dressed simply. The most eye-catching feature of this man is the mechanical hawk of silver and iron which perches upon his shoulder.

Looking out the window at the evening sky, Arakk notes that the sun has now set completely. With a small sigh, he says, "Only five then? Well, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, Eru Tovar is hardly a paradise, is it?" He gives a wry smile.

Once everyone has been seated, Arakk continues, "Now then, let's get down to business..."

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
Arakk launches into his proposition with little preamble. "Some time ago, I purchased an antique desk at auction which had belonged to a wizard named Zarlag. While restoring it, I stumbled upon a secret drawer which contained a hauntingly rendered map fragment and a number of notes. One portion of those notes indicated that a potent magic cloak named Fiend's Embrace may be hidden in a place called Cold Stones Keep. The map that accompanied these notes shows the location of this mysterious keep - it lies deep in the Cold Marshes.

"I wish to sponsor an expedition into the Marshes to follow the map to Cold Stones Keep, explore it, and determine if Fiend's Embrace is still hidden within its walls. I will give you a copy of the map and relevant journal notes to aid you in your journey. I will pay full market value for the cloak if you can find it for me. I will also provide you with cold weather clothing, and any other mundane gear you deem necessary to outfit your journey. Finally, I will provide each of you with a healing potion, as a gesture of good faith. More than fair, by my estimation. So then," Arakk says with a smile, "are you interested?"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
"Well," Harval says, stroking his beard, mentally counting how far to go until his weregild debt is repaid, "'at depends on what 'fair market value' might mean."

He eyes the motley collection that have assembeld with them, suddenly subtracting some of the fair market value from the plus column of his internal accounting ledger.

"And where did you find this lot?"

Remove ads