D&D General Fighter/wizard

Hey

I'm looking for any info and see if anyone has ever played a fighter/wizard multiclass that used specifically enchantment and divination?

How would one go about playing one and what would be a good name for that class?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's a slightly unusual combination as I think more often the wizard focus is bladesinger. Though I could definitely see a Echo Knight Fighter / Diviner Wizard combination working quite well with that theme. Both classes are tapping into seeing a bit into the future, and unrealized realities. Sort of a fate manipulator.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I did this back in 2e, it was fine since Enchantment spells worked on a lot more things than they do these days. I wouldn't do it in something like 5e. Most Divination spells are too limited in scope to be very useful in my experience.

As for what to call the character? Loreblade? Battlecharmer?

ECMO3

Hero
Hey

I'm looking for any info and see if anyone has ever played a fighter/wizard multiclass that used specifically enchantment and divination?

How would one go about playing one and what would be a good name for that class?

Just about any Wizard dip is good on a fighter because Wizard spells are so good.

I've seen Battlemaster/Diviner dip very early in 5E. It worked well. I think he also got the lucky feat and was constantly rerolling dice or replacing dice.

I have seen a lot of Bladesinger-Fighters, I personally am not a fan of that though. If I want that kind of character I am probably just staying Bladesinger as the fighter levels are not doing a lot for you and dragging you down. For an armored fighter I think Abjuration or Divination is a better dip.

I don't think Enchantment Wizard is a good subclass for this gish-type build because Hypnotic Gaze is an action. If you are using this you won't be attacking and if you are not attacking, what are the fighter levels doing for you (armor and action surge maybe .... but a Cleric dip could get you armor without losing spell slots?). Theoretically a Enchantment Wizard - Battlemaster with quick toss, Superior technique and martial adept would be viable on a thrown weapon build. Do hypnotic gaze and still get to attack as a bonus action, and with superior technique and martial adept you would be able to do it like 5 times or so between short rests, which is a lot.

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
2 levels of Fighter works on just about every character build in existence, since Action Surge is just that good. And starting with 1 level of Fighter before going Wizard is also worth it for armor + concentration saving throw proficiencies. That's not exactly a Fighter/Wizard build though, that's just a Wizard with spell progression delayed 1 level to pick up some optimization goodies

Horwath

Legend
EK+War wizard is good.

there is only that many 1st level slots that you can get and getting "budget shield" as at will as a reaction or +4 to saves for not using a leveled spell the next turn is small price for EK. you will mostly be using green flame blade or booming blade anyway.

ECMO3

Hero
2 levels of Fighter works on just about every character build in existence, since Action Surge is just that good.

It is not an entire spell level good.

For example a 3rd level Wizard/2nd level fighter can action surge and cast shatter twice in a single turn one time a day and is then out of their biggest spells for the rest of the day. A 5th level Wizard can cast fireball twice a day and shatter another three times a day while also having a better save DC.

When it comes to concentration spells; the multiclass can cast hold person and paralyze a single humanoid and take it out of the fight until he manages a save at the end of his turn or he can put up a web that restrains enemies but they don't lose their actions. The single class can cast Hypnotic Pattern or Fear twice a day and take a bunch of enemies out of the fight without follow on saves and it works on anything not immune to frightened or charmed.

And starting with 1 level of Fighter before going Wizard is also worth it for armor + concentration saving throw proficiencies. That's not exactly a Fighter/Wizard build though, that's just a Wizard with spell progression delayed 1 level to pick up some optimization goodies

The armor is significant, but a think a heavy armor cleric subclass is a much better way to do it because you don't lose the spell slots and pick up a couple spells. The Constitution save is a downgrade from the Wisdom save which the Wizard gets, especially if you play into high level.

IME fighter levels are not very good unless you are using weapons or unarmed strikes a lot in combat.

Last edited:

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
It is not an entire spell level good.
That's debatable, it depends highly on the campaign. I would tend to side with you and go pure Wizard for the fastest spell progression and because Wizards in shield + heavy armor just seems dumb. But I've seen others advocate for the Fighter dip and I can see how it could be worth it

Another option to consider is the Eldritch Knight fighter subclass. Although from memory you have to pick half your spells from invocation/Evocation and you’re a 1/3rd spellcaster, so probably not what you’ve looking for but still thought it worth a mention.

Remove ads