D&D (2024) Fighters if superiority dice was something all fighters get

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
I'm not opposed to it, but I think that the fighter manuevers need to be expanded upon and beefed up. Maybe level-gate (or require multiple SD for) some options and give more options so that at higher levels you're not simply picking the manuevers that simply liked less than the ones you initially chose.
They could do these the same way that they do Warlock Invocations and just call them Martial Maneuvers. Fighters would have the same number as a Warlock of their level has invocations. Other characters would have a few, maybe none unless they took a feat to gain some. Some Martial Maneuvers would be class restricted (Rogues should be able to take Dirty Trick, but not Divine Deflection, etc.)
If you are concerned about caster/non caster balance maybe anyone who can cast has their number of maneuvers reduced by the highest level spell they can cast.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
The dice and consumables should have been a bonus to regular default actions.

1. Crush: Target makes CON save or target is knocked prone. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  2. Disarm: Target makes STR save or target is disarmed. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  3. Distract: Target makes INT save or target is distracted (next attack has advantage). Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage
  4. Envenom: Target makes CON save at disadvantage or target is poisoned. (Must have poisoned weapon) Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  5. Feint: Target makes WIS save or target falls for feint. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  6. Hamstring: Target makes STR save or target's speed is halved until end of their next turn. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  7. Goad: Target makes WIS save or target is marked. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  8. Knock Down: Target makes STR save or target is knocked prone. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  9. Menace: Target makes WIS save or target is frightening until end of your next turn. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  10. Sand: Target makes DEX save or target is blinded until the end of their next turn. (Must have sand, mud, or dirt) Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  11. Trip: Target makes DEX save or target is knocked prone. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.

Naw.

If I want consumable resources that refresh on a rest I'll play a caster.

Eubani

Legend
No thanks. I personally don't care for the superiority dice concept or the artificial limitation of X times per some type of rest. If I can attempt to trip someone in combat, why can't I always try to trip someone? If it's a question of having the right set of circumstances, why is that set of circumstances artificially limited?

If anything were added I would want some other mechanism. Something along the lines of always allowing a trip attack [edit: as a bonus action] but if you fail the enemy gets a free opportunity attack with advantage because it's a dangerous maneuver. Well, that and having everyone fall over constantly could get old.

Then again I don't have a problem with fighters in combat.
The answer is that you can always always do things like trip, it's just that the Battlemaster is better at it thus gets a mechanical bonus. Just because one class/subclass gets a bonus to something that does not mean others cannot attempt that action, they can just without said bonus.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Naw.

The idea is to decouple the resources from the action.

Disarm, Feint, Knockdown, Trip, etc can all be don't without dice. So everyone could do it. Wanna trip. Go Trip. No feat needed for access or to un-nerf it.

Dice are just used to deal damage (or raise the saving throw DC).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Naw.

Yea, but it doesn't need to be either/or. There's plenty of room in the game for a class with martial tropes with limited/no resources and a separate one with more complex resource management.

Eubani

Legend
I call foul on the designer side. If they gate maneuvers to a subclass they do not have to support it like they do with spells for spell casters. Some level gated improved maneuvers would be nice. Weapons are non granular and maneuvers are subclass gated, meaning they have an excuse to do as little as possible for Fighters, little to no effort for Fighters has been their historic behavior over the last 40 odd years except 4e.

Bill Zebub

Yea, but it doesn't need to be either/or. There's plenty of room in the game for a class with martial tropes with limited/no resources and a separate one with more complex resource management.
Sure, but that’s not what the title of this thread says.

Bill Zebub

The answer is that you can always always do things like trip, it's just that the Battlemaster is better at it thus gets a mechanical bonus. Just because one class/subclass gets a bonus to something that does not mean others cannot attempt that action, they can just without said bonus.

Speaking only for myself, I don't need the design principle explained. I get it; I just am not interested in playing it.

I don't really enjoy playing classes where the gameplay requires deciding whether to spend a resource now, or save it for later. I much prefer trying to figure out what is the optimum decision in the moment. Both are a kind of gambling, I suppose, but I prefer the latter.

For that matter, I'd like to see Action Surge relegated to a subclass.

Or I can just keep playing rogues.

GreyLord

Legend
Make it simpler with Champion instead of SD.

Treat them a little like the NPC warrior, but they still get the fighting style. Then they can also get a +2 somewhere between 3rd and 5th level which they can add to as a bonus to hit or a bonus to damage.

This increases to a +3 at 9th level, a +4 at 13th, and a +5 at 17th level. Make it something static so easier to understand with limited options.

Or, a similar idea, is to simply give them expertise, but instead of having it with a skill like the Rogues, give it with a weapon or weapon class.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases