• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting a black dragon...

James McMurray

First Post
That's why he said it would hamper the dragon's actions.

Though if you are going to do it, you'd be better off dropping one of them every so often and creating a new one with that turn's minor action, even further muddling up where you are.

Dracorat

First Post
Oh I see - by using his standard to do a second sustain.

Don't forget also that a party could just use AOE attacks in the cloud from outside the cloud without the -5. Some classes get at-will AOE attacks.

ceswiedler

First Post
My two cents:

I think in general the DM should play monsters 'to the hilt' and always go for the PC's jugular.

However, I think it's possible, if not likely, that dragons and other egotistical monsters won't be paranoid enough to play the way some of you are suggesting. Unless the dragon has advance knowledge that the PCs are a serious challenge, I think it's very plausible that it wouldn't bother to plan ahead or fight as if its life depended on it. To it, the PCs are just little short-lived two-legged twerps, and it's undoubtedly killed much more dangerous-looking opponents many times before.

Did Smaug recoil in terror and immediately fry a little hobbit who walked into his lair, or was he intrigued and completely nonthreatened? Did he fight the humans and dwarves in the most advantageous way, or did he (try to) destroy them in a way which would send them fleeing to tell the world of his terrible wrath?

Now, I think it's also likely that the dragon will have the sort of paranoid escape routes, traps, etc. available in case he/she turns out to be overmatched; but I don't think a dragon would use those tactics until it determined that it wasn't going to win the 'easy way'.

And finally, there's nothing stopping the DM from creating a truly paranoid dragon who destroys its enemies in the most pragmatic and efficient way. If you do that, however, I think it's worth letting the party know that, through rumor or legend.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I read the scenario, thought "doesn't sound too hard for my Wizard" and then read the thread where everyone said essentially "you need a Wizard".

It's good to see scenarios where the Controller is clearly important :)

evilbob

Explorer
Our party of 5 fought a level 5 black dragon at level 3 or 4 or so, and we managed to pull it off - but yes, it is VERY, very hard. The -5 to all attacks against the thing just ruined most of our dailies, and I'm sorry but getting thunderwave to connect was just about impossible due to its solo-monster-sized fort. After about 10+ rounds, it was getting pretty sad. Boring, actually. Two things really helped:

- We figured out some good tactics. If the dragon is sitting in its cloud, just run away (and spread out). If you're outside it's breath range, it can't hurt you and you can still throw bursts into its cloud against it. Also, be sure to ready ranged attacks for when you can see it.

- The intimidate skill is a standard action that is a skill check against will and can force a bloodied foe to surrender. That's how we beat it. You ALWAYS know when a dragon is bloodied - look for that.

Otherwise, good luck. They're rough on low-level guys.

DracoSuave

First Post
How to avoid Cloud of Darkness:

If you are in it, stop being in it. Go away. Find cover. Force the dragon to fight on -your- terms. Ready actions to beat it up when it is forced to leave its cloud. Area and Close attacks.

But, and this is a huge but...

DO NOT STAND THERE LIKE AN IDIOT AND TRADE BLOWS WITH A LURKER YOU CANNOT SEE.

It is a Lurker. Can you see it? No? Then you will not win. This is true for ALL Lurkers.

Fighting a dragon on its own terms is a recipe for TPW, each and every time. Don't blame your failure to embrace the battlefield on the dragon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads