• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Fighting a Medusa with mirrors?

MarkB

Legend
Personally, if I were in a party going up against a Medusa, I'd be looking at throwing minions at her - specifically, undead and constructs (both immune to her gaze attack since it's Fort-based), and Earth elementals (tremorsense and earthglide means they never need to meet her eyes).

MarkB

Legend
Can't help but wonder, where exactly does an adventuring party come across undead, construct, and earth elemental hirelings?

Summoning spells, for one thing. There are constructs as low as Summon Monster III, elementals on both the Monster and Nature's Ally lists, and wizards can Animate Dead.

EDIT: Oops, the construct I was thinking of was on an alternate summoning list. But there are a few wondrous items which can create temporary constructs.

Of course, that same list of creature types is also a list of ideal candidates for allies / minions of the Medusa, since she doesn't have to worry about accidentally petrifying them.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
One more thought, from the "things players might try" perspective: The old Mutari Nebula trick from Star Trek II. As in "if we can't fight at their level, let's bring them down to our level."

Anything that blinds the entire battlefield, including the Medusa's darkvision, works here. Deeper Darkness is the top candidate, but Fog Cloud could work as well, if you can keep at least 10 feet away from her. That way, the PCs still have their blindness penalties and miss chances, but so does the Medusa, and her gaze weapon is rendered useless.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads