D&D 5E Fighting Style for Melee Knife/Dagger Use

Coroc

Hero
As a DM, I don't let players 'suffer' for making a decision to use a weapon (or other option) that is less efficient, but character appropriate. If a rogue uses a dagger because it fits his character better than a rapier, I'll make sure that the difference between the dagger and rapier (in terms of damage) is closed or overcome.

For example, I might let them find a magic ring that does not require attunement that allows them to roll a d8 for damage with any piercing weapon, or they might find a poisonous sheath that allows them to deal an additional d6 poison whenever they hit on an attack made before the end of their next turn after drawing a dagger from the sheath.

Good idea, but depending on campaign and style. What I tend to do is let my players find appropriate magic weapons if their choice is not to odd, so if there is a dagger user n.p. at all magical daggers are amongst the most prevalent weapons.
If it were a light pick or something like that the chances are more slim. But in that case I normally let the char find a smithy who can forge such a thing for him.
But that is only for more or less vanilla campaigns. I won't do that one in Ravenloft or DS.

Due to the nature of rules a dagger is the weakest weapon around, something that's only used as a last resort weapon by most classes, and only effective (in it's versatility as something that can be thrown) by Rogues and Monks of a high enough level. But a dagger in the hands of someone who knows how to use one effectively can be a very deadly. I don't want to bother for now in a Fighter subclass that specializes in dagger fighting. So my ideas so far are.

Knife Fighting
When attacking with a dagger in melee it does 1d6 damage, while grappling an opponent the dagger does 1d8 damage instead.

Isn't that just objectively worse than the style that gives you +2 damage when using a single 1H weapon?

1d4+2 averages 4.5

1d6 averages 3.5

1d8 averages 4.5

So to get the same average damage you'd need to grapple.

I guess if you can get both styles then this has a point, but is it only Fighters who can?

Versatile Mastery
Instead of mastering a single weapon, you have practiced tirelessly with a variety of them to become lethal with anything you pick up. All one handed weapons you use deal 1d10 damage and count as finesse.

This enables all kinds of wacky builds! Two daggers? No problem! Rogue with blackjacks? Sure! Dwarven Handaxe Rogue? Cool! Just want to keep your options open for any cool magic item you find? Absolutely. Want to spin around with two tridents? You do you, weirdo.

dave2008

Legend
Versatile Mastery
Instead of mastering a single weapon, you have practiced tirelessly with a variety of them to become lethal with anything you pick up. All one handed weapons you use deal 1d10 damage and count as finesse.

This enables all kinds of wacky builds! Two daggers? No problem! Rogue with blackjacks? Sure! Dwarven Handaxe Rogue? Cool! Just want to keep your options open for any cool magic item you find? Absolutely. Want to spin around with two tridents? You do you, weirdo.
to far IMO, but I appreciate the out-side-the-box thinking!

NotAYakk

Legend
Knife Fighter
When using a dagger you gain a +1 bonus to hit and deal 2d4 damage instead of 1d4, and when you grapple a creature you can make a free attack on that creature with advantage.

Design notes:
2d4 is close to 1d4+2, but it is doubled on criticals unlike static damage bonuses. It also works with dual-wielding or dueling style (if you stack styles). OTOH, if you go knife+free hand, you can use the free hand to grapple and get an attack anyhow. The +1 to hit makes it extremely tempting for rogues, who want to connect more than anything.

This also permits the two-knife build that throws one knife, then grabs and stabs, etc.

dave2008

Legend
Knife Fighter
When using a dagger you gain a +1 bonus to hit and deal 2d4 damage instead of 1d4, and when you grapple a creature you can make a free attack on that creature with advantage.

Design notes:
2d4 is close to 1d4+2, but it is doubled on criticals unlike static damage bonuses. It also works with dual-wielding or dueling style (if you stack styles). OTOH, if you go knife+free hand, you can use the free hand to grapple and get an attack anyhow. The +1 to hit makes it extremely tempting for rogues, who want to connect more than anything.

This also permits the two-knife build that throws one knife, then grabs and stabs, etc.
I like it, but I would go with a bonus action instead of free action.

Esker

Hero
Here's a stab (pun intended) at a dagger-wielding feat. The focus is on being able to react quickly when using daggers, rather than giving attack or damage bonuses. I think it works better as a feat rather than a fighting style, one because it provides a few different situational benefits, and two because it should be available to rogues, not just classes with fighting styles; and it also works together with either dueling or TWF style.

Opportunist
You are particularly quick at drawing and striking with daggers. You gain the following benefits:
  • When wielding a dagger in one or both hands and no other weapons, if you take the Dodge action on your turn you can use your bonus action to ready an attack with a dagger.
  • When you make an attack using your reaction, you can draw a dagger as part of that attack. If you are already wielding daggers in both hands, you can make an additional attack with your off-hand. This attack counts as engaging in, and otherwise follows the rules for two-weapon fighting. If the initial attack is triggered by an enemy leaving your reach, you have advantage on both attacks.
  • If you draw a dagger as part of the attack action on your turn, you can make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, contested by a target creature's passive perception. If you succeed on the check, any attack you make with that weapon against that creature before the start of your next turn has advantage. Once you use this feature you cannot use it again against the same target until after you roll initiative.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You can use Sharpshooter with thrown weapons, can't you? So throw those daggers!
Only the parts where you can attack at long range without disadvantage and ignore half and 3/4 cover. The -5/+10 trick requires you to make an attack with a ranged weapon, which daggers are not.

Remove ads