D&D 5E Fighting Style for Melee Knife/Dagger Use

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
As a DM, I don't let players 'suffer' for making a decision to use a weapon (or other option) that is less efficient, but character appropriate. If a rogue uses a dagger because it fits his character better than a rapier, I'll make sure that the difference between the dagger and rapier (in terms of damage) is closed or overcome.

For example, I might let them find a magic ring that does not require attunement that allows them to roll a d8 for damage with any piercing weapon, or they might find a poisonous sheath that allows them to deal an additional d6 poison whenever they hit on an attack made before the end of their next turn after drawing a dagger from the sheath.
This is my preference as well. Give the folks who make suboptimal weapon choices for RP reasons a bone in the form of a nice magic item or something.

NotAYakk

Legend
I like it, but I would go with a bonus action instead of free action.
I can see why as a general rule; but you are already giving up a damage instance to grapple.

It does grant advantage, and you do get the grapple. But I was thinking in terms of a rogue, where the grapple wasn't the point: the stab was.

Quartz

Hero
Only the parts where you can attack at long range without disadvantage and ignore half and 3/4 cover. The -5/+10 trick requires you to make an attack with a ranged weapon, which daggers are not.

Daggers most certainly are ranged weapons. PHB p149. Range 20/60.

Quartz

Hero
Nope, they're listed under the heading of melee weapons. Having a range does not a "ranged weapon" make. (If it did you'd have to use DEX with spears, javelins, handaxes, etc.)

Actually, yes it does. PHB p147, Range. See also PHB p14, last paragraph. The example given is a hand axe.

Esker

Hero
Actually, yes it does. PHB p147, Range. See also PHB p14, last paragraph. The example given is a hand axe.

Range. A weapon that can be used to make a ranged attack has a range shown in parentheses after the ammunition or thrown property.

It says that you can use these weapons to make a "ranged attack"; not that they become "ranged weapons". Note that in the text above the weapon tables it says:

Every weapon is classified as either melee or ranged.

and then goes on to list a bunch of melee weapons, followed by a bunch of ranged weapons. They are disjoint categories.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ninja'd ^ :)

Sharpshooter works with "ranged weapons", not just on "ranged attacks". Yes, you can throw a dagger to make a ranged attack, but it is not a "ranged weapon" as it is listed under melee weapons, not ranged weapons.

Would it hurt anything to allow thrown weapons to work with SS, not really, but that isn't the current ruling.

Esker

Hero

Also the paragraph you refer to says just the opposite of what you're saying it says:

For attacks with ranged weapons, use your Dexterity modifier for attack and damage rolls. A melee weapon that has the thrown property, such as a handaxe, can use your Strength modifier instead.

It specifically sets thrown weapons (like handaxes) apart from ranged weapons.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The Range trait is different than the Ranged Weapon category. Ranged weapons use Dexterity for attack rolls and damage rolls, while melee weapons use Strength. If having a listed range made something a ranged weapon, hand axes and javelins would key off Dex, and would be unable to be used with Strength since they lack the Finesse property.

Quartz

Hero
You clearly haven't read my cites. PHB p14 says you can use Strength with a thrown weapon attack.

And there is no ranged weapon category. Range is a property (PHB p147). Notice that the weapon proficiencies granted to classes are divided into Simple, Martial, and Simple plus a few (q.v. Bard), or a select group (q.v. Wizard). Classes aren't granted Simple Melee and Simple Ranged Melee.

Remove ads