Level Up (A5E) Fighting Tradition Brainstorm: Help Appreciated

VenerableBede

Adventurer
I think it would be fun to get more out of the Beastmaster by making a fighting tradition themed around commanding your animal companions to perform special actions they might not otherwise be able to do. Obviously the initial distribution for this tradition would be pretty limited as currently only two classes get “pets”, rangers and artificers, and of those two only rangers get combat maneuvers and exertion. Still, I think there’s potential here.
If you read this and have ideas that you would be willing to share, please let me know :)

Anselm

Adventurer
I haven't read it myself but there might be some inspiration available in the beast heart from mcdm (assuming this is not going to be a for sale thing). I believe they designed the class from the ground up to support pets.

I haven't read it myself but there might be some inspiration available in the beast heart from mcdm (assuming this is not going to be a for sale thing). I believe they designed the class from the ground up to support pets.
I've got that book and like it a lot (way more than the illrigger) and think there is definitely some inspiration to be had there.

As for the OP's question for a companion based tradition I think some good options would be allowing a companion to attack as part of your attack (maybe you sacrifice one of your to give to the companion which also gives it bonuses), maybe a stance that gives bonuses when flanking with your companion (if it boosted the DC of maneuvers and made them more effective would honestly be a better touch than just a bonus to hit or damage), something that bases the maneuver's abilities off the companion's movement (so maybe flying companions have a specific action only they can do, etc.).

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
@ReadyButNot has the best idea, here!

Take a look at what Spirited Steed does... but more than that: Think about what it would be cool to command your pet to accomplish.

You and your companion are under your control. Their damage output is factored into your own for balancing purposes against other archetypes. So don't be afraid to have the pet do the "Bulk" of the work, or even do things that a normal animal 'Can't' like stealing a specific item from your target, making intimidation checks on your behalf, or straight up giving you perception bonuses by drawing your attention to potential dangers.

I also think you should take a look at both Mist and Shade and Tooth and Claw for inspiration.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Thanks, all! :) I already had a few ideas and I was planning on borrowing here and there from other other traditions (taking inspiration). This still helps with the idea that Spirited Steed, Tooth and Claw, Mist and Shade, and Sanguine Knot might be the most translatable.

Remove ads