• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.

Fighting With Style, Fighting Styles as Level 1 subclass choices

FrogReaver

Explorer
@Garthanos With respect, I do not care about not picking examples of zero to hero narratives. I’m not here to follow every possible rabbit hole of a debate that ever presents itself. Rand is a farmboy, his dad barely trains him, and I’ve read these books 7 times. You aren’t going to badger me into agreeing with you, so just drop it.
I've no idea who Rand is, but we need more of this!

Horwath

Explorer
That seems like a good bit more oomph than what other fighting styles get
Not really, as those cantrips compete for Action slot with weapon attacks, all other fighting styles add power to existing weapon attack or armor.

They add more versatility than power.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My solution to the thread is don't play zeros... start at a slightly higher level then there is less inclination to front load the class;

In general I think the first 4 levels were designed to draw out multi-classing as a multi-level resource expenditure and from a character design point of view making level 1 more feature heavy increases class dipping

If nothing else its a potential problem to keep your eyes open for.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Explorer
I doubt that the numbers actually keep up relative to Extra Attack. Thus, “less impactful as you level” rather than “don’t scale”.
Slightly less so sure as your base attack goes up in damage slightly as you gain ASI's. But that's really the only negative type scaling provided to the fighter's damage based fighting styles.

A fighters weapon damage only goes up a tiny fraction as they level. generally from 9.5 to 11.5 or 11.33 to 13.33.

doctorbadwolf

Explorer
Bravo!

Though I suppose it was more of the opposite.

Is snooze quit a thing?
Yeah that middle slog isn’t called “the slog” by fans for nothing.

I usually skim it on a reread. It’s probably only Eye Of The World I’ve actually read 7 times.

But hey, I’ve also read The Silmarillion a few times, and I’ve read every word of Tolkien’s appendixes, so...I may be an outlier.

Mistwell

Adventurer
Not a fan of your Eldritch Knight option. I agree they could use something though. Maybe choose one wizard cantrip, and you're able to cast it a number of times a day equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum one)?

Xeviat

Explorer
How much do you value a fighting style? It's not worth a whole feat. +2 to damage is kinda worth +2 to hit. +2 attack stat is +1 to hit, damage, saves, checks, and some extra stuff. It's maybe half a feat.

Magic Initiate gives 2 cantrips and 1 1st level spell slot. So giving 2 cantrips and more stuff would be worth more than Fighting Style.

FrogReaver

Explorer
How much do you value a fighting style? It's not worth a whole feat. +2 to damage is kinda worth +2 to hit. +2 attack stat is +1 to hit, damage, saves, checks, and some extra stuff. It's maybe half a feat.

Magic Initiate gives 2 cantrips and 1 1st level spell slot. So giving 2 cantrips and more stuff would be worth more than Fighting Style.
I think a fighting style is worth 2^(-1/2) feats.

Advertisement