• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Fantasy Elements

Exen Trik

First Post
Ok so I've had this project bouncing around between my head, text files and my white board for a long time now, with some rambling to my friends and internet acquaintances. But I've gone around in circles too many times, so I've come to post it here, despite not being as nearly complete as I would like. And by that I mean not even alpha, but I hope to get to that point before I finish here.

But hey, I'm not making this just for me. So come on in and let me know what you think! :)

[sblock=Boring Design Philosophy]
The point of this project is firstly to create a fun and playable pen and paper Final Fantasy game, but there is more to it than just that.

As game for Final Fantasy settings, it is meant to not perfectly fit the mechanics or style of any one of the video games, nor is it to be simply blend of some of them into one. It is meant to be any of them, all of them, and whatever mix of them you like. That means it is designed to be modular, with mechanics such as limits can be used or removed without effecting anything else, a half dozen summoner methods that can coexist, or even represent any of the gamut of class/job systems the various games have offered.

In terms of 4th edition D&D, I also seek to create a simple, workable mana point system than can be adapted to other sorts of games and settings. Additions such as Inventory and Capacity are to be flexible and useful tools for all manner of games. I hope that what I develop here can be extended into other settings that may or may not be videogame or even fantasy related. A Sci-Fi world with robots and aliens, where inventory can account for cybernetic implants and capacity used for running programs is very much intended.

Disclaimer: Yes I am most likely insane. [/sblock]

Before going too far off on all the videogame related geekery, let me go over the very basics that set the groundwork for the rest of the ruleset. Besides being the most important part this is also the only part that even approaches being set in stone.

ABILITY SCORES
The following are additions and alterations to the definitions of ability scores in the Elements system.

Strength
-Your Strength might contribute to your Inventory score

Dexterity
-Your Dexterity might contribute to your Inventory score

Constitution
-Your Constitution might contribute to the number of Surges you can use each day.

Intelligence
-Your Intelligence might contribute to your Capacity score
-Magic basic attacks are based on Intelligence.

Wisdom
-Your Wisdom might contribute to your Capacity score

Charisma
-Your Charisma score is added to your magic points at 1st level.
-Your Charisma might contribute to the number of Surges you can use each day.

MAGIC POINTS (MP)
Each character has a certain number of magic points based on their Charisma score, class and level. The range and formulas of magic points mirror that of hit points, with most classes giving 10, 12 or 15 MP + Charisma score at level one, and 4, 5, or 6 MP each level thereafter.

Magic points are used to cast spells, use commands, powers, class features and other effects. Every class has some use for MP in addition to their other Commands, At-Will, Encounter, and Daily powers.

SURGES
Every character gets a number of Surges equal to 6 plus the higher of their Constitution or Charisma modifiers. Each Surge can be used as either a Healing Surge or Magic Surge to recover 1/4 the users maximum hit points or magic points, respectively. Other powers and effects may consume Surges for other ends.

The characters race, class, feats or other features may give provide additional Surges. They may also specifically provide Healing Surges or Magic Surges. These bonus surges cannot be used as the other kind when a power or effect specifies it, and neither can be used when only a normal Surge is specified.

Second Wind
Once per encounter a character can use their second wind to use either a Healing Surge or Magic Surge.

INVENTORY
The inventory mechanic is introduced to manage the various and numerous items available in Elements, as any respectable Final Fantasy game should have.

Inventory Score
A characters Inventory score is equal to 1 + 1/2 level + the higher of their Strength or Dexterity modifiers, if positive. This represents the ability of a character to carry items on their person for quick and easy use, by either sheer carrying capacity of pouches and belts and the like, or the finesse to store and retrieve items efficiently.

This is distinct from the absolute carrying capacity determined by the characters strength, since an item buried at the bottom of a bag isn't readily available as a dagger sheathed on at your side or a potion on your belt.

Inventory Uses
Each point of inventory is a slot that can be filled with a weapon, ammo, potion or other item. By default this is a single weapon item or a handful of arrows, but certain class features, powers, gear and other effects can allow for more items of inventory slots, and alternative uses for them.

Typically an item in inventory can be used with a standard action or along with another related action, such as firing ammo. Class features and feats may allow certain inventory uses as minor or other actions.

CAPACITY
Capacity was developed in order to reflect the various methods of obtaining, using and managing of traditional powers of final fantasy such as spells.

Capacity Score
A characters Capacity score is equal to 1 + 1/2 level + the higher of their Intelligence or Wisdom modifiers, if positive. This score shows how many manners of powers you can have accessible at any one time. The greater the mental prowess of the user, whether it be through intellect or intuition, the greater the range of abilities at their disposal

Capacity Uses
The normal use of Capacity is to determine how many Commands the user has available. Each class and job has a set of commands at their disposal, that can be used to alter their attacks, cast spells, effect their movement and allow special actions in battle. Most of these commands, except for some of the most basic, have MP costs needed to use them.

The exact method of obtaining and assigning Commands depends on exactly which class you are and what options are being used in your game. By default you learn as many as you can handle, that you qualify for, when you obtain a given level. Other options may tie commands to equippable items, granted as rewards, or stolen from your foes.

Last edited:

Exen Trik

First Post
CLASSES
The list of classes is not completely final, there's a couple I may add later. But these are the essential classes that represent the archetypes of most Final Fantasy settings. For now I am including a summary of the classes, later I'll fill in stats for each as they develop.

Warrior
The essential martial expert, utilizing weapons and heavy armor like no other. Fills a role slightly more striker based than a 4e fighter. Their Strike commands allow them to always deal enough of the right kind of damage, get through defenses, or weaken the target.

Thief
Where the rogue is a master of separating targets from their hit points, a thief and their Steal command provides more options. When your opponents carry potions to heal themselves and monsters draw strength from elemental stones, relieving them of what they possess can swing the tide of battle more than pure power. Of course a thief can also confound their foes in other ways as well, and if they need raw damage they can deliver.

Monk
The Final Fantasy monk is a very different thing than typical D&D monk. They are very much a defender and tank, exchanging weapons for powerful martial arts and chi techniques, and armor for excellent health and countering abilities. Their Martial Arts command is both a physical and mystical set of techniques, allowing not only ways to damage but to gain tactical advantage on the battlefield.

Scholar
The scholar is potentially many things, but always at least a master of one. Their Lore command works in combination with skills, items, magic, or some fusion thereof to attain unique and powerful effects and use gear no one else can. They can also share their knowledge with their allies for advantage, or use knowledge to befuddle their foes.

Black Mage
The essential attack spellcaster. Be it blasting and striking, raw damage or status inflictions, Black Magic is all about putting the hurt on the enemy. They have many ways to achieve this aim, and make better use of mana to this end than others. But they have a bit of a glass jaw and so try to stay out of the thick of battle if that can't end it outright.

White Mage
The yin to the black mages yang, White Magic is the art of healing, support and not a little smiting. Tougher than their arcane counterpart they are better off with weapons and more survivable toe to toe. And those weaker in physical strengths can also use powers of radiant might. But their magics true purpose is to heal and defend their allies, keeping them from deaths grasp and pulling them from from it when it takes hold.

Red Mage
The Red Mage dabbles in not only white and black magics, but also in the way of weapons and armor. He focuses not in a single one of his many talents, but on using them in conjunction to achieve unique effects. Be it channeling spells though his weapons, enhancing himself or his allies, or harassing his foes with deftly cast magics the Red Mage is a unique and efficient combatant.

Blue Mage
(complete later)

JOBS
(complete later)

Last edited:

Exen Trik

First Post
WARRIOR

Role: Defender (Striker)
Hit Points: 15 + Constitution score at 1st level; +6 on level up
Magic Points: 10 + Charisma score at 1st level; +4 on level up
Surges: +3 Healing Surges
Defenses: +2 Fortitude

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, scale, plate; heavy shields, light shields.
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged, military ranged.
Class features: Provoking Challenge, Combat Superiority, Warrior Focus.
Skills: As Fighter

Provoking Challenge: (Complete Later)

Combat Superiority: As 4e Fighter

Warrior Focus: The Warrior can specialize in one tradition of weaponry and tactics. You gain a +1 to attack rolls with the listed group, and receive an additional class feature when wielding those weapons. Choose one of the following options:
-Archer: Bow and Crossbow; you do not provoke opportunity attacks from adjacent enemies for making ranged attacks
-Barbarian: Axe and Hammer; you deal +1 damage per tier.
-Lancer: Spear and Polearm; your shifts are 2 squares instead of one.
-Fencer: Light Blade; you add your weapons proficiency bonus to your AC.
-Squire: Heavy Blade; you add your weapons proficiency bonus to your adjacent allies AC.

COMMAND: Warrior Strike
(complete later)

POWERS

DOUBLE ATTACK Warrior At-will 1
At-Will ◊ Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Target: One creature, or two adjacent creatures
Attack: Strength (melee) or Dexterity (ranged) vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] damage each hit. Against a single target,
make two attack rolls and use the better of the two.
If both attacks would hit the target, add your attack
modifier to the damage dealt.
Increase damage to 2[W] each hit at 21st level.
Boost: +1 MP. When attacking two creatures, you
can apply a different Strike command to each.
Against a single target, you can apply two Strike
commands simultaneously.

BRAVER Warrior Encounter 1
Encounter ◊ Weapon, Limit
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Special: You must be bloodied to use this power
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage
Miss: Strength modifier damage
Special: If you have hit points equal or less than your healing surge value, double your Strength modifier to damage on a hit or a miss.

MIGHTY STRIKES - Warrior Daily 1
Daily ◊ Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC, two attacks
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier each hit.
Special: If the first attack hits, the second
attack becomes a critical hit if it also hits.

(complete later)

Remove ads