• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Final playtest packet due in mid September.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
That I don't buy. I don't know anything about a sharp decline in houseruling, and I don't know that the reasons for any such change, if it existed, would be explicable in those terms. If anything, I would guess that this very forum is an example of how the information age has facilitated more tinkering with the game; there's tons of people trading ideas here about how things work and should work.
I know that almost all of our house rules in 1e/2e were to solve problems with the rules. Whenever the rules didn't make sense or when there was a hole in the rules where it just didn't cover a situation. We also took the rules we liked best from 1e and 2e and mixed them together.

When 3e came out, it fixed almost all the problems we had with 1e/2e. We stopped using all house rules entirely. We had no need for them. We felt nearly every rule was better than the equivalent 1e/2e rule. There was some debate over that but we all agreed that we shouldn't change the rules until we had at least given the new ones a chance. Over time we got used to the new rules and nobody was in favor of using a 1e or 2e rule in place of the 3e rules.

I truly believe that there are 2 types of people who like to tinker a LOT with the rules: Those people who play a LOT of RPGs and are into RPG theory and rules theory. These people feel the need to tinker. The second group are those people who don't take their game seriously at all. These groups likely don't know the rules for something and feel that looking up rules makes the game no fun. Over the years they've just made up rules for things on the spot and no one has ever looked up the real rules so the entire group thinks that's the way it works.

I've played at tables with both these types of groups before. But, maybe because I play a lot of Organized Play, the vast majority of the people I play with use the RAW. I've played in home groups with the people I've met at conventions and games days and their home games almost always follow the rules precisely. Like I said....probably because they are used to using the rules precisely as written in Living Greyhawk and Living Forgotten Realms, so they just keep that up in their home games.

I think it's because OP attracts the type of person that likes the idea that we all play with the same rules regardless of where we are from. We like being part of a community. I know for myself the feeling of "belonging to the D&D community" is lessened dramatically when I sit down at a table to play D&D with people and I have no idea how to play their version of D&D because of how different it is.

Ahnehnois

First Post
When 3e came out, it fixed almost all the problems we had with 1e/2e. We stopped using all house rules entirely. We had no need for them. We felt nearly every rule was better than the equivalent 1e/2e rule. There was some debate over that but we all agreed that we shouldn't change the rules until we had at least given the new ones a chance. Over time we got used to the new rules and nobody was in favor of using a 1e or 2e rule in place of the 3e rules.
Well, pretty much the same thing happened for me, except we didn't stop houseruling. Why would we? 3e had new problems to fix, but more importantly, we all had specific things that we wanted out of the game that the rules in the book didn't support. 3e was actually easier to houserule because it was so standardized. Everything scaling forward in 5% increments made it much clearer what would happen. I don't think we played for very long at all before houseruling more than we ever did with 2e.

I truly believe that there are 2 types of people who like to tinker a LOT with the rules: Those people who play a LOT of RPGs and are into RPG theory and rules theory. These people feel the need to tinker. The second group are those people who don't take their game seriously at all. These groups likely don't know the rules for something and feel that looking up rules makes the game no fun. Over the years they've just made up rules for things on the spot and no one has ever looked up the real rules so the entire group thinks that's the way it works.
I think there's a lot more than those two. For instance, there's the common sense group.

For example, refer to a long exchange I had recently about monster identification. I suggested that characters often know certain useful facts about monsters, whereas someone else said that this could not be the case because the rules were very specific about needing to roll a trained Knowledge check to identify a monster and its abilities. I pointed out that the RAW had a wide variety of ridiculous implications; for example needing to make a trained check to identify common animals, to which the response was "well of course there should be an exception for that". Thus, the guy who was vigorously defending the RAW argued himself into saying that they needed significant modification to make any sense.

I doubt that anyone really uses the Knowledge rules for identifying creatures as written. By a strict interpretation, you would need a trained check to identify any creature, even an animal or a humanoid. The way the DCs scale by HD is also ridiculous; I doubt most DMs require a DC 50 check to tell you that a great wyrm red dragon is evil and breathes fire. Even in organized play, I think some common-sense interpretation of these sorts of rules is likely de rigeur.

Many people also handwave things like encumbrance or travel times. Or they throw in a few extra skill ranks for backgrounds. Or they have some weird little quirk about how wands work. All without calling it a "houserule".

The same is likely true for things that charop people catch, like the bag of rats fighter or CoDzilla. There may be some revisions needed to prevent these abuses, but by and large those are things that players avoid or DMs fix, often without even thinking about it.

But, maybe because I play a lot of Organized Play, the vast majority of the people I play with use the RAW.
This is not exactly my area of expertise, but as I understand it, organized play games do make certain modifications to the published game, particularly restrictions on what you can play. For example, the wikipedia page for Living Greyhawk lists quite a few and even calls them "houserules". Everyone may be playing under the same set of modifications, but they are not exactly playing the game as it was originally written, because the game as written does not work for their purposes. Which is my point, it never completely does.

I know for myself the feeling of "belonging to the D&D community" is lessened dramatically when I sit down at a table to play D&D with people and I have no idea how to play their version of D&D because of how different it is.
I can't say that I ever thought to look at D&D as a whole as some kind of community. My people, the ones I learned with and/or taught to play, are my community. In fact, when my group broke after high school and went off to college, we all seemed to have the same experience. We checked out the local college gaming community, looked at it and said "what are these people doing?", and quit gaming for a while. We later reconvened when we came back from our respective colleges, and bring in a new person every now and then.

That being said, even though we all were turned off by the other parts of the D&D community, it was mainly for two reasons. The first was that some seemed to be drifting more towards the cosplay/LARP hobby, which is fine for them but which is not at all what I do for fun, and then there were these kinds of hypercompetitive combat-oriented gamers, the sort who try to try to win. Conversely, when we got back, we reacted by going to a more "literary" style of D&D; less miniatures, more plot, character, and theme. I've still never seen these mysterious people who use only the RAW, who purchase and play someone else's published adventure, or who play 4e (and we left college after 4e came out).

Personally, I really don't want a sense of a greater community, and I don't really care what other people do; if they're having fun with a quasi-wargame or dressing up as their characters it doesn't really affect me. I just want my game to work my way.

To me, an introduction with new gamers consists largely of explaining how my game differs from the "default", and them learning about me through those changes.

Last edited:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Well, pretty much the same thing happened for me, except we didn't stop houseruling. Why would we? 3e had new problems to fix, but more importantly, we all had specific things that we wanted out of the game that the rules in the book didn't support. 3e was actually easier to houserule because it was so standardized. Everything scaling forward in 5% increments made it much clearer what would happen. I don't think we played for very long at all before houseruling more than we ever did with 2e.
I just don't think our group ever considered we had an agenda to put forward. Our goal was always to simulate a fantasy world in the best way possible. The rules simply facilitated that. What happened when a fighter fought a dragon? We had no idea but we had to assume the rules were the best compromise of "realism" and simplicity. We liked that there were rules for everything since our combination 1e/2e game at the time was plagued with arguments over the rules all the time since the game lacked so many rules. Constant arguments over how far people could jump, what happened when you leaped on a giants head and stabbed him in the eye, whether armor affected your ability to run for long periods of time, and so on were the order of the day during our games.

2e was written in a style that said to us "these rules are just the beginning of a vast fantasy world simulator, you'll have to make up the rest of them based on what you think is most realistic". When we read 3e, it read (to us, at least) less like a fantasy world simulator and more like an actual game. It gave rules for 95% of the situations you'd come across in a typical game so we didn't need to make up any of our own. The rules made it clear that certain actions just weren't allowed in the game, things like Called Shots. You also couldn't try actions that required a feat to perform. That was the point of feats, they unlocked options for your character.

It completely changed our mindset when playing D&D from "Try anything and hope the DM makes up a good rule to simulate what you are trying to do" to "The rules tell you what you can do, pick one of those options or have the DM tell you no."
I think there's a lot more than those two. For instance, there's the common sense group.

I doubt that anyone really uses the Knowledge rules for identifying creatures as written. By a strict interpretation, you would need a trained check to identify any creature, even an animal or a humanoid. The way the DCs scale by HD is also ridiculous; I doubt most DMs require a DC 50 check to tell you that a great wyrm red dragon is evil and breathes fire. Even in organized play, I think some common-sense interpretation of these sorts of rules is likely de rigeur.
That's correct. We played it almost precisely as written. I wouldn't tell anyone anything about a great wyrm if they didn't make the DC 50 check. Though most people didn't need it. I never say anyone in OP break this rule either. We had one DM who enforced it a little more rigorously than the others, I remember.

Most DMs allowed players to bring their own knowledge to the table because in OP you've likely played 50 adventurers, each under a different DM. The DM had no idea what your character had experienced in the past and therefore couldn't say "You've never seen this creature before". Because it was likely you HAD seen that creature before just with a different DM in a different adventure.

So, if a player showed up and said "Yeah, I fought one of these before, they are immune to fire." it never really called for a knowledge check. It's only if no one had any idea what the creature was that anyone even called for a monster check. If no one made it, we shrugged and proceeded to figure out it's powers by trial and error.

Basically, we used a "If something is common enough, you already know information about it. You couldn't have gone through life without knowing that the pointy eared guy over there is an elf. But you need to make a check to know that elves don't sleep as that's not completely common knowledge. Unless one has ever told you that, in which case your character knows it and won't ask for a knowledge check."

The same thing applies to animals and such. I assume most people know the name of a bear but if they want to know more, they'll need a check.

After all, D&D is a middle ages level world where most people don't even know how to read and the vast majority of people haven't even left their village their whole lives. We tend to assume knowledge is in short supply.
Many people also handwave things like encumbrance or travel times. Or they throw in a few extra skill ranks for backgrounds. Or they have some weird little quirk about how wands work. All without calling it a "houserule".
This has not been my experience either. We did none of these things. Some players would forget to calculate their encumbrance and it would always make the DM angry when they found out. I knew one group who gave extra skill ranks for backgrounds, though that's a house rule they developed about 5 years into the lifespan of 3e/3.5e and they explicitly called it out as a house rule(and their only one).

The same is likely true for things that charop people catch, like the bag of rats fighter or CoDzilla. There may be some revisions needed to prevent these abuses, but by and large those are things that players avoid or DMs fix, often without even thinking about it.
We all acknowledged that most of those abuses were perfectly within the rules. There's a reason Clerics and Druids were some of the most played classes in Living Greyhawk. They were overpowered. The bag of rats was considered cheesy and we all jointly agreed not to do it so we had more fun. But no one ever houseruled it away.
This is not exactly my area of expertise, but as I understand it, organized play games do make certain modifications to the published game, particularly restrictions on what you can play. For example, the wikipedia page for Living Greyhawk lists quite a few and even calls them "houserules". Everyone may be playing under the same set of modifications, but they are not exactly playing the game as it was originally written, because the game as written does not work for their purposes. Which is my point, it never completely does.
The "houserules" of Living Greyhawk mostly consisted of "These feats, classes, and spells aren't allowed". There were a couple that were modified in affect, but only due to the necessity of the format. For instance, the modular nature of LG adventures meant that absolutely no effect continued from adventure to adventure. So any spell that was permanent ceased to function at the end of the adventure.

I also don't really consider "We aren't allowing this feat" a house rule. Banning stuff due to power levels always happens. The only house rules I ever implemented were of the "this isn't allowed" variety.
I can't say that I ever thought to look at D&D as a whole as some kind of community. My people, the ones I learned with and/or taught to play, are my community. In fact, when my group broke after high school and went off to college, we all seemed to have the same experience. We checked out the local college gaming community, looked at it and said "what are these people doing?", and quit gaming for a while. We later reconvened when we came back from our respective colleges, and bring in a new person every now and then.
I think I had to become "part of the community" out of necessity. My very first game was played with my brothers and my next door neighbor. We played once. Then, much later, I played on a BBS in a play-by-post game. Actually 3 play-by-post games. Since we didn't even know each other's real names, we had to be very clear about the rules. Though, at that time I didn't even know the rules. I just knew that if I told the DM I was attacking the monster he used some magical process and told me what happened.

Then, when I joined my first real D&D group, our group had 13 people in it and we voted each week on what game to play amongst the 20 or so games that were running in our group. We had 2 Rifts campaigns, 2 Star Wars, 8 D&D, a GURPS, and so on. With so many people in the group and so many games(all of which had different DMs), we had to keep things standardized or we'd go insane.

Then, after only a year of being in that group, they switched to playing only every second week. So I started my own D&D group on the off weeks. I convinced a bunch more players to join my group. We also developed a list of games we'd vote on every week for that group.

We'd lose players fairly often and have to recruit new players to join us to make sure we stayed at full strength. We found this process was easier as long as we played by the rules. Too many house rules and when we'd explain our game to someone they'd throw up their arms and say "That doesn't sound like D&D to me and refuse to join".

Though, I admit, I dreaded meeting new D&D players at the time. Since it was before the internet there was nearly no standardization. I ran into one player who went to high school with me. He told me about his campaign where they regularly defeated 200 demons at once with their artifact level equipment that their DM invented, like a sword that auto killed on a 15-20 roll and also shot a 20d6 fireball that only harmed enemies every time it was swung. The idea that someone would just use the magic items listed in the book and simply fight orcs was so foreign to him that I wondered why they were even using D&D as a ruleset if they were just going to make stuff up. We may have argued over the stuff the rules DIDN'T say, but we followed most of the non-optional rules in the book.

I think I mostly wrote off the D&D community as nearly impossible to talk to since no one played the same game at all. Which is why most of our new players came from people who had never played before so we could teach them to play properly.

That's precisely why we enjoyed 3e so much when it came out. It finally had rules in it instead of a bunch of random guidelines that people would ignore. From that point onward, we noticed that when we had to replace players we could find people who already knew the rules and played the same way we did. 3e caused me to start posting on message boards since I wasn't afraid of running into other D&D players anymore. There seemed to be this sense of community that wasn't there before. This was partially fostered by the growing internet at the time as well. And places like Eric Noah's 3rd Edition News, which I followed daily and posted my excitement about the new edition.

It was after a couple of years of playing 3e that I heard about Living Greyhawk. The idea of being able to play in a campaign that spanned the whole world was super exciting to me. I love meeting new people. Especially new people who like the same things I do. The idea that I could go elsewhere and randomly join a D&D group and have instant friends was awesome.

That all came to a head when I met a girl in Australia and I visited her for a year. I went to a foreign country, not knowing anyone. Within 2 weeks, I discovered the store that ran Living Greyhawk that was listed on the WOTC website and I showed up with my character and I had a group of 20 D&D friends immediately. We all had the same adventures in common and the same rules in common so we all had stuff to talk about immediately. I'd go out to games day, play the same 2 adventures for 8 hours, then we'd go out for food and discuss the differences in how we played the same adventures and the funny anecdotes that happened: "When we fought the fire elemental, we used a spell to push him into the energy wall blocking the corridor and he took a large amount of damage" "That's awesome. We should have thought of that, it would have made it a lot easier. That elemental nearly killed all of us."

That was only possible because we used the same rules. I've tried to have those conversations with people who had a large number of house rules. They always feel like we're talking past each other:

Me: "It was so funny. A mind flayer stunned everyone except the rogue for a long time. So our rogue had to fight him solo. But luckily, the mind flayer had to wait to use its power again, so the rogue was actually beating him single handedly since he had a ring of invisibility and got in a sneak attack..."
Other person: "Our group house ruled the duration of the mind flayer's mind blast because we felt it was too long. So that would never happen at our table. Plus, we don't allow rogues to get sneak attacks simply because they are invisible because that's overpowered."
Me: "Alright....nice talking with you as well."

Greg K

Legend
Regarding 3e house rules, I had a whole bunch of house rules for 3e- just as many as with 2e. If I ran 4e, I would have just as many.

Some of my 3e house rules:
1. Fewer Absolutes (Sean K Reynolds)
2. Book of Iron Might Maneuvers (Malhavoc)
3. Magic item creation system replaced with slot item creation from Artificer's Handbook (Mystic Eye Games)
4. Lots of changes to clerics including spontaneous divine casting (UA) and tailored spell lists by deity (DMG)
5. Wizards having to find their spells (DMG) and losing metamagic feats from their list of bonus feats
6. Changes to number of class skills per level for classes with 2+int skill points per level
7. multi-classing including having to find a trainer, time to train, prerequisites, and the new class not granting armor proficiencies, weapon proficiencies or good save bonuses (get them through feats)
8. changed/removed several phb spells
9. Unearthed Arcana: several class variants, variant class abilities, weapon groups, incantations
10. banned most WOTC supplemental content (races, classes, prcs, feats, spells, new mechanics) in favor of 3rd party material .

Looking at 5e playtest packets, I would have just as many-if not more house rules with regards to classes. However, playtest packets are not the final product so I am hoping that things will be more to my liking when the final product is released.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
It completely changed our mindset when playing D&D from "Try anything and hope the DM makes up a good rule to simulate what you are trying to do" to "The rules tell you what you can do, pick one of those options or have the DM tell you no."
That's interesting. I'm not sure what actually changed your mindset though. Our is pretty much the same, and is more towards trying stuff and hoping the DM sees it the way you do. I've had a lot of that with the last few sessions I've run especially.

Most DMs allowed players to bring their own knowledge to the table because in OP you've likely played 50 adventurers, each under a different DM.
Metagaming doesn't strike me as playing by the RAW.

Basically, we used a "If something is common enough, you already know information about it. You couldn't have gone through life without knowing that the pointy eared guy over there is an elf. But you need to make a check to know that elves don't sleep as that's not completely common knowledge. Unless one has ever told you that, in which case your character knows it and won't ask for a knowledge check."
Sounds reasonable. Not what the rule says. By the rules, you don't know what an elf is without a trained check. You can't even tell that it's an elf. Your interpretation is fine, but illustrates my point that everyone changes things a little.

I also don't really consider "We aren't allowing this feat" a house rule. Banning stuff due to power levels always happens. The only house rules I ever implemented were of the "this isn't allowed" variety.
That does, however, go back to the post that started this. I think charop folks can catch some problems, but some of them are things that some DMs just ban anyway. As long as most DMs aren't banning the same things, those things should probably stay in the rules.

I think I had to become "part of the community" out of necessity.
In a way, I kind of feel sorry for you on that level. I've basically had the same group, with changes in membership, from the beginning. Which is more important to me than the rules. I imagine not everyone has the luxury of playing with close, long-term friends. It does change things.

I think I mostly wrote off the D&D community as nearly impossible to talk to since no one played the same game at all.
I can't say I ever spent a ton of time talking about D&D to people I haven't myself played D&D with for years. Occasionally, but I tend to think it's wiser not to reveal this dubious hobby in mixed company, and I have a lot else going on.

That's what ENW is for, in my book.

That's precisely why we enjoyed 3e so much when it came out. It finally had rules in it instead of a bunch of random guidelines that people would ignore. From that point onward, we noticed that when we had to replace players we could find people who already knew the rules and played the same way we did. 3e caused me to start posting on message boards since I wasn't afraid of running into other D&D players anymore. There seemed to be this sense of community that wasn't there before. This was partially fostered by the growing internet at the time as well. And places like Eric Noah's 3rd Edition News, which I followed daily and posted my excitement about the new edition.
Fine, but really contrasts with my experience. To me, the message of 3e was that instead of a bunch of confusing subsystems, you have one rule: d20+modifiers vs DC. Everything else is negotiable. If you want a level 1 fighter with +2 BAB, you're not likely to win that negotiation, but it's at least clear what that means and why that's a bad idea. All the DMs I played with used this newfound clarity as an excuse to make up new rules, often with bad results. No one played the same game. Didn't stop anyone from playing.

I turned to online forums in large part out of an effort to make better houserules. I figured if I bounced ideas off of others, and stole their ideas, my game would improve in quality over my somewhat haphazard compatriots. Seems to be working.

My 3e mentality has always been that character creation is a negotiation process between player and DM. The RAW are some nice examples, but it's more about the player articulating a vision for a character, and coming to an agreement with the DM about what a reasonable mechanical representation is. Changing the rules to get there is de rigeur. I think we only had a few truly RAW characters when we were first learning the system. Now there's practically a new class written for each character.

Anyone new wants to come in, I walk them through things, and they learn.

2e was written in a style that said to us "these rules are just the beginning of a vast fantasy world simulator, you'll have to make up the rest of them based on what you think is most realistic". When we read 3e, it read (to us, at least) less like a fantasy world simulator and more like an actual game. It gave rules for 95% of the situations you'd come across in a typical game so we didn't need to make up any of our own. The rules made it clear that certain actions just weren't allowed in the game, things like Called Shots. You also couldn't try actions that required a feat to perform. That was the point of feats, they unlocked options for your character.
Not what I got out of it at all. To me, 2e seems more like a game with a set of arbitrary rules, while 3e feels more like a world simulator. In fact, I don't usually use the term "campaign" and never "adventure". I say "game". The game is the thing I run, the rules are a set of guidelines that give us a common language and define how the world works.

I've also never found that 3e did adequately cover 95% of situations. The last few games I've run had tons of weird cases where I couldn't find or didn't care to look for a RAW answer, and we're pretty expert at this point. The great thing is that now we have a shared sense of how things should work, and we often ignore RAW minutiae in favor of getting the game going. Again, the simplicity of d20+modifers vs DC helps us do that.

It is entirely legitimate, but it does seem odd to me some of the culture changes that editions seem to inspire, above and beyond the rules themselves.

Remove ads