Finally! (but why?)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
No EN World last weekend

So EN World was down for pretty much the whole of the last two days. I'm really glad it's back now, but what the heck happened? :-S

weem

First Post
I second that ;)

It must have just come up as I was here about 10 minutes ago and it was still down - was down all day yesterday and much of the day before (iirc) - at least for me.

---edit---

Oh, and an idea... maybe there could be an EN World Twitter, or some other location to post information in the event of downtime (which is not an uncommon thing here) - a place to go and see, "Aaahhh, that's what's wrong". I've seen a number of other businesses/popular sites do this.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Many of the pople are on Facebook and they don't seem to post updates on the site there so I don't think being on Twitter would help.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
So EN World was down for pretty much the whole of the last two days. I'm really glad it's back now, but what the heck happened? :-S
Machine was up, as was the web-server; it just dropped connections. Why? I don't know; could be the return of the mail spool demon. Not sure why that happens either.

'Course, I'm not an admin.

Thanks to the ENWorld hatred in just that small thread, I won't be going back.

What?

What?

What do you consider ENWorld Hatred? Because the only negative thing I read in that thread is:

I know Enworld has lost large quantities of material in the past from problems.

and

ENworld is generally a slow site, and I get a "took too long to respond" error every once in while browsing it even when it's "up". Testament to its popularity, I'm sure. But when it doesn't respond for two days in a row, at all, I begin to suspect hackers, or something else unplanned.

and MAYBE

Maybe their "nuke from orbit!" server upgrade fund drive had a meltdown or something.

But none of it reads to me as "hate" and a reason to dodge a site...

LightPhoenix

First Post
Ninja attack. Pirates riding dinosaurs were brought in to stave them off.

I don't know that there are any sites that are used during outages. At least, I am not aware of any that the admins use. However, there are often posts by board members at the ENWorld Livejournal community site, so you can at least see if it's you or not.

Nice guidance. This outtage was my first time ever going to that site (I've seen it referenced many times). That's the first thread I read. Thanks to the ENWorld hatred in just that small thread, I won't be going back.

Huh?

I didn't detect any vitriol ... just some speculation.

What bothered you?

Remove ads