D&D 5E Find the Path. What? Why is this a 6th level spell?

Are you asking if you could potentially lose the find the path if a dispell magic is cast by you (the creature)?

Since the range of find the path is "self", then the spell is clearly "on you" so, yes, I'd think a dispel magic could potentially cancel it.
oh, crap. Wrong thread. I meant to post that in my Magic Jar thread! Sorry!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No they aren't. The majority of players don't have any history with what came before, so WotC can say things like, "Volo is a commoner with +4 with Intelligence(History) and Charisma(Persuasion) checks." You don't have to give him fighter and bard levels. No one cares.
The bolded part is incorrect. A lot of people care. Just not you. Some will agree with you and some won't. I won't. Why? Because I care and I like my NPCs to have class levels. I want the internal consistency that you don't seem to care about. A cleric is a cleric. If NPC clerics can do it, so can PCs. If PC clerics can do it, so can PCs.

Reynard

Legend
The bolded part is incorrect. A lot of people care. Just not you. Some will agree with you and some won't. I won't. Why? Because I care and I like my NPCs to have class levels. I want the internal consistency that you don't seem to care about. A cleric is a cleric. If NPC clerics can do it, so can PCs. If PC clerics can do it, so can PCs.
So how many spell levels are you willing to dedicate to Marriage Ceremony?

Well, I have yet to see anyone tell me they've seen it used in a 5e game so that tells me it's probably been nerfed so hard that it's not worth wasting a slot on.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, I have yet to see anyone tell me they've seen it used in a 5e game so that tells me it's probably been nerfed so hard that it's not worth wasting a slot on.
It's nerfed if you add in the same requirements for "familiar" that teleport uses. It's not nerfed if you just need to read or be told about it.

As for my group, we've only had one PC who reached high enough level AND could potentially cast it, and the Bard didn't take it. Not because it was bad, but rather because he wanted something else more.

see

Pedantic Grognard
So how many spell levels are you willing to dedicate to Marriage Ceremony?
Well, ceremony with a marriage casting variant is a 1st-level spell in 1st edition AD&D (Unearthed Arcana, p.32), 2nd edition AD&D (Priests's Spell Compendium, pp.101-107), Pathfinder 1st edition (Quests and Campaigns, pp.24-25), and 5th edition D&D (Xanathar's Guide to Everything, pp. 147–148).

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It's nerfed if you add in the same requirements for "familiar" that teleport uses. It's not nerfed if you just need to read or be told about it.

As for my group, we've only had one PC who reached high enough level AND could potentially cast it, and the Bard didn't take it. Not because it was bad, but rather because he wanted something else more.

And also if the DM determines the material component "has value." if it does, that too is a pretty big nerf.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And also if the DM determines the material component "has value." if it does, that too is a pretty big nerf.
Hmm. I didn't see the component with the object from the location you want to find. That does limit it considerably. I'll be dropping that portion for my game.

Remove ads