D&D 5E Finesse Paladin - Opinions Wanted

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Is a finesse paladin viable in 5E?

Yes, I know that "anything is playable," but is it advisable? How far behind a traditional Strength paladin would a Dex one be?

manduck

Explorer
I was under the impression that a Dex paladin was more viable than a Str paladin, over all. If you're going sword and board, all martial one handed weapons do the same damage, d8. So you don't lose out choosing rapier over longsword or warhammer. Plus Dex adds to initiative, which is always good. The dex based skills can see a lot more use, like stealth. Plus most dex paladins do just fine with acrobatics if they don't take athletics. I believe Dex offers more skills than strength. Plus dex saves can tend to be more common than strength saves, depending on your DM.

Plus light armor plus dex bonus can get you just as good an AC as heavy armor. So Dex paladins tend to have more options with skills, can do equivalent damage, have better range attacks, have a better initiative bonus and can get a better score in a more common saving throw. Dex paladins aren't behind strength paladins at all.

manduck

Explorer
I should also throw in, playing a strength paladin in no way puts you behind the curve. I play one and he's a beast. It's just whichever play style suits you better and how you see your character. If you're leaning towards dex, you'll be just fine.

Horwath

Legend
It works great IMO.

only thing is that you have heavy armor proficiency which is of no use if you have high dex.

maybe if you could trade heavy armor for one more class skill it would be great.

Rapier and shield is good combo.

As far as rapier and longsword debate, longsword should be 1d10/versatile 1d12 damage.

SilanthosKB

First Post
so I have a question if you do build and Paladin with high dex what does the dex restriction from Armor affect. Do it only limit the ac increase for dex or does it affect all things dex based?

cheezitmojo

First Post
so I have a question if you do build and Paladin with high dex what does the dex restriction from Armor affect. Do it only limit the ac increase for dex or does it affect all things dex based?

If I understand you correctly, the Dex restriction on medium or heavy armor only affects your AC. If you have an 18 score in Dex and wear plate, you still get a +4 on initiative, Dex saving throws and ability checks, and to any weapon attacks that use Dex as a modifier.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
My wife played one for a year and a half. It worked great.

I actually find DEX builds to be a little OP, especially in games without feats--even then, they're better, but there are some options-Shield Master and Great Weapon Mastery that give a little balance to the STR build.

Remove ads