Firearms in D&D?

Corlon

First Post
well, I guess thats a really good system if I've ever seen one, I was going to use the DM guide stuff because I'm to lazy to make my own, even though it isn't really realistic. In my campaign, the gnomes are the ones with the technology, and most of them use guns. I think I'll just copy this to word and read it more in detail later:D .

Shirt Guy John

First Post
Okay, an update: I added two feats (in bold in the main post), and the core class write up for the Gunslinger. Looks like fun, and I might have some people to play test it all for me....

As always, comments are welcome. :D

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Shirt Guy John said:
Okay, an update: I added two feats (in bold in the main post), and the core class write up for the Gunslinger. Looks like fun, and I might have some people to play test it all for me....

As always, comments are welcome. :D

The class looks solid- the only change I might make is adding Perform(Gunplay) to the skill list, but I could also see why one might want to keep that a cross-skill.

I will need to copy this down and hand it off to my group for my next campeign.

FD

Shirt Guy John

First Post
Well, i know it's been a while since I toughed this thread, but in my never-ending quest to find and back up and restore the D&D homebrew stuff that was erased by a fellow student at my school, I came back on here to get my own stuff, and I decided "Hey, this stuff might be worth working on still!"

First off on my newest update (after what, a month or two?), I think that I'm gonna drop the whole "Curse of the Divine" thing in favor a a more simple roleplaying-only drawback.

Secondly, I'm going to work out recoil rules(what effect the gun's "kick" has on the weilder. I'm thinking subdual damage here, but that's just an initial inkling). I'm also goin to work out which non-pstol weapons can be held in one hand and what the drawbacks of that will be(Greater recoil effect for starters).

Third, in my recent recovery-act of my homebrew stuff, I stumbled across a race that would allow me to tie the modern-ish fireamrs into a high-magic campaign setting. Here's what i'm going with for right now, and It will be added to the main post when I get some kind of response:

Origins of Technology(ie. Where Guns Came From)
================================================
In times long past, the minor race now known only as the Temps(homebrew race focused on time manipulation) decided, like most races have done at some point, to greate their own secluded utopian comunity. The entire population of the race's largest city-state agreed to a plan to take the city out of the standard time-stream and into a faster one. A device that combined magic and machinery was created for this purpose, and when everything had been prepared, it was activated. The entire city-state was instantly and violently torn from the normal time-stream. To all who viewed the edge of the affected area, it appeared as if a shimmering blue barrier of electricity and force had encapsulated the city. Time inside the barrier flowed much, much, much faster than the "real world" outside of it. The Temps went through many generations in the course of a few weeks on the outside. Technology advanced at a steady pace inside the city, and many new objects were created. Among these were the firearms. Soon the city began to run low on resources, as the population growth had been far more than had been expected. Several groups were sent out into the "real world", but to the dismay of those inside the city, no help ever came from the outside in(they did not know that the blue-lightning barrier that represented the friction between the two time-streams was destroying all living things that passed through it. In a game sense, it dealt out 20d10 damage to each person passing through it.) Soon a conflict began, and two sides formed. There is no precise record of how it occured, but at some point in the conflict, which was escalating to the level of a civil war, one of the sides damaged the machine that kept the city in its own time-stream. After that, it was only a matter of days before the city returned to the normal time-stream. The warring Temps barely noticed, and carried their conflict on until a truce of some sort was reached. Most of the city itself lay in ruins, and much of the technology had been damaged or destroyed. What did remain was abandoned. Everything the Temps had created was forgotten-except the Firearm. Guns had been the one thing that had taken up the most time inthe last few generations, due to the civil war. The art of Firearm crafting, design, and use was spread by the surviving Temps throughout much of the land. Firearms instantly earned the hate and fear of the Gods. The Technology was centuries-millenia even-from being rightly crafted. The weaponry was an abomination, a relic from a time not-yet-come. Among the divinly righteous peoples, all firearms were considered sacrilige(amazingly almost all religions, even alignment opposed religions, agree on this fact).

As in the past, comments, questions, and general replies are very, very, VERY welcome.

Jeph

Explorer
Whay Hasn't Anyone Mentioned Sleeping Imperium Yet?!?!?!?!

Basically, Sleeping Imperium is a badass site that is down right now, but had awesome rules for firearms. They were quite flexable, and allowed you to make anything from a pirate pistol to a pump-action shotgun to a high capacityelectromagnetic gatling machinegun. I'm dead serious.

I'd suggest using those rules, and maybe adapting your feats to them -- actually, most of your feats would work with those rules right now -- actually, I'm about to yoink them for use with guns in my campaign -- 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . -- YOINK!!!!

[pimp]
I'll email them to you, and anyone else who wants them. Drop me a line at Jeph88@Mindspring.com if you want more info, but didn't make it to the site before it closed down.
[/pimp]

Jeph

Explorer
Whoops, noticed that you don't get email through Enworld! If you really don't care about the SI rules, then just ignore me, but if you want to know more just click on the email above. I would post them on the boards, but it's a .pdf, and I really don't want to go through all that time to transcribe it.

Remove ads