• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Firefly I'm Pissed!!!!

Welverin

First Post
Crothian said:
People were not watching it.

You don't know that and neither did Fox. The ratings are based on the viewing habits of five thousand people and for a country with over 280 million people it would take some damn good sampling for their results to be accurate.

trancejeremy said:
Anyway, IMHO, the big problem with the show was it had too many characters, and many of them look alike. I tried watching it, but could never tell anyone apart except for the guy that was on the X-files and the captain. Especially the women - they all have the same hair color.

May I suggest glasses? While you have a point with the number of characters, there's no way they all look a like.

Last edited:

Ranger REG said:
...Space: Above and Beyond...

Was really sorry to see this one and Brisco County Jr. go. Given time, I'd probably be able to say the same of Firefly, but based on what they did put out, not so much. In a sense I'm glad it was cancelled though, because (I think anyway) I'd rather have Joss make a great movie than do a series, and I'm guessing there wouldn't have been a movie if the series was still going. And, if the movie does well and the series gets picked back up, all the better.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
What strikes me funny is that the fact that a cancelled show got a DVD set... Well on second thought "funny" is the wrong word, maybe unique or interesting... Maybe they are trying to make amends like mistwell suggested. :)

I've never seen the show btw.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Welverin said:
The ratings are based on the viewing habits of five thousand people...

Technically, it's five thousand households, containing over 13,000 people. Still not a very large sample size, but if we are going to criticize them on technical issues, we needs to be accurate.

For Nielsen's defense of their small sample size, look here.

Crothian

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
What strikes me funny is that the fact that a cancelled show got a DVD set... Well on second thought "funny" is the wrong word, maybe unique or interesting...

Not that unusual. Sports Night has been out on DVD for over a year and it got canned in its second year.

buzzard

First Post
Welverin said:
You don't know that and neither did Fox. The ratings are based on the viewing habits of five thousand people and for a country with over 280 million people it would take some damn good sampling for their results to be accurate.

Well since that is the accepted practice among networks, did you expect them to use some other means to determine viewing? Maybe spilled animal entrails or something? Nielson rating are imperfect, but it's not like there's another measure out there.

buzzard

theRogueRooster

First Post
Folks, keep in mind that the Firefly movie is nowhere near being a done deal. All we know at this time is that Joss is working on a script. There has been no green light for the movie as of yet...

But I do have all my fingers and toes crossed that we see some reincarnation of Firefly, be it movie, tv, or cave painting.

I wonder how much better Firefly would have fared if Fox had misrepresented it as a reality show set in space than by misrepresenting it like they did as a silly sci-fi comedy?

-tRR

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
theRogueRooster said:
Folks, keep in mind that the Firefly movie is nowhere near being a done deal. All we know at this time is that Joss is working on a script. There has been no green light for the movie as of yet...

But I do have all my fingers and toes crossed that we see some reincarnation of Firefly, be it movie, tv, or cave painting.

I wonder how much better Firefly would have fared if Fox had misrepresented it as a reality show set in space than by misrepresenting it like they did as a silly sci-fi comedy?

-tRR

Are you sure? It looks like it is in production already. It looked green lighted by Universal. It was announced here:

http://hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1969026

and if you check IMDB, you will see it is "in production". Joss even mentions the movie, briefly, on the DVD. Looks like more than just a "nowhere being done deal" to me, though I certainly could be wrong.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
SynapsisSynopsis said:
Was really sorry to see this one and Brisco County Jr. go. Given time, I'd probably be able to say the same of Firefly, but based on what they did put out, not so much. In a sense I'm glad it was cancelled though, because (I think anyway) I'd rather have Joss make a great movie than do a series, and I'm guessing there wouldn't have been a movie if the series was still going. And, if the movie does well and the series gets picked back up, all the better.
But rarely do they revive a small-screen TV series that upgraded to silver-screen theatrical feature. Besides, I doubt that FOX would pick it up again. If the movie do well, then it may warrant another theatrical sequel, where the real money lies. And the actors would consider the move to movie from television as a boost in their acting career.

I apologize for not mentioning Brisco County, Jr. I often confuse it with a UPN series, Legend, starring Richard Dean Anderson and John DeLancie (now starring in SG-1 in a regular and a recurring roles, respectively).

Remove ads