Firefox 2.0 Question

XCorvis

First Post
Seonaid said:
So, how is 2.0 different/better than previous versions? I wasn't really basing my decision on getting/not getting 2.0 on the tab options. I've just found that, recently, companies have been "improving" their products and I haven't liked the new versions of many downloadable applications.

Best feature: Spell check in text entry fields. A lot of folks weren't happy with how the tabs work now, but they've mostly found extensions that put it back the way they liked. The improvements are mostly incremental, not ground breaking, and you might disagree with other interface choices. Don't feel like you have to upgrade, but if you do, you'll find some stuff you like.

lkj

Hero
Yah, I'll agree. There are a fair number of improvements/additions. But those are best explained with a link:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

That said, it is incremental. There's not dramatic shift in style or functionality, at least at first glance. By and large, I don't find any killer app that kicks it over 1.5. But I like most of the improvements, like the spell check and such. The exception of course is a minor grip with some of the tabbed browsing stuff. But, as noted, the beauty of firefox is that it's eminently tweakable.

AD

sckeener

First Post
Spell checker is the only plus that I am seeing in my upgrade to 2.0.

I've had more browser crashes since I migrated to 2.0 than I did with 1.5.

Things I've found annoying...
close buttons on every tab (I changed it to be on the right again)
tabs that go off the screen but available via drop down (I reduced the min characters for tabs from 100 to 20)
the crashing...it seems that it crashes once a day...​

the pluses IMHO
spell checker
restore sessions for those crashes...it even restored my text I had typed in once for an enworld post!​

Seonaid

Explorer
Well, I got the upgrade due to circumstances somewhat out of my control (namely, someone uninstalling Firefox on my computer), and I love it. I don't like the drop-down thing, but everything else so far I've liked. It's never crashed for me, I like the tab close buttons, and the restore sessions are great! When I shut down my computer from the log-in (instead of from the start menu) once because I forgot I had something open, it saved my EN World post info too. That was awesome. :D And my tabbrowser preferences add-on works fine, once it was upgraded as well.

Seonaid

Explorer
Eh, I actually really like the Tabbrowser Preferences a lot. It does exactly what I want, and Tab Mix Plus doesn't seem to add anything. I like the idea of alphabetizing my tabs, but I never have so many open that it's really an issue.

Thanee

First Post
Did they fix the tooltips issues in 2.0?

Very long and multi-line tooltips were not displayed correctly with older versions of firefox.

Bye
Thanee

sckeener

First Post
I think I have about 28+ tabs open at once daily every morning for sure.

Every morning I ctrl (or open apple) -click every bookmark on my google homepage so that they are all loaded up and ready for me to read.

XCorvis

First Post
sckeener said:
I think I have about 28+ tabs open at once daily every morning for sure.

Every morning I ctrl (or open apple) -click every bookmark on my google homepage so that they are all loaded up and ready for me to read.

You know you can bookmark a group of tabs and open them all at the same time, right?

Remove ads