First attempt at homebrew monster

Zarithar

Adventurer
I needed a low level giant constrictor snake for an adventure I am running, and this is what I came up with... please let me know if it seems reasonable/balanced :cool:

Snake, Giant Constrictor

These large snakes inhabit tropical jungles and marshlands, laying in wait to constrict and swallow their prey. They grow up to thirty feet in length.

Snake, Giant Constrictor Level 3 Soldier
Medium Natural Beast XP 150
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +9; Low-light vision
HP 48; Bloodied 24
AC 19; Fortitude 17, Reflex 16, Will 15
Speed 6, climb 6, swim 6

Bite (standard; at-will)

+10 vs AC; 1d8+ 3 damage
Target is grabbed until escape

Constrict (standard; at-will)
+8 vs Fortitude; 1d12 + 6 damage
Affects target the constrictor has grabbed. Target is dazed until the end of the constrictor's next turn.

Alignment: Unaligned
Skills: Stealth + 6
Str 18 (+5) Dex 16 (+4) Wis 14 (+3)
Con 16 (+4) Int 2 (-3) Cha 10 (+1)

Snake, Giant Constrictor Tactics
Ambushes prey from shallow water or trees, attempts to constrict and crush the victim to death before consuming.

Snake, Giant Constrictor Lore
Nature DC 15: Giant constrictors are commonly encountered in jungles and marshes, killing their prey by crushing with their deadly coils. The skin of these reptiles has value to leatherworkers for use in making clothing, armor, and other goods.

Mesh Hong

First Post
All in all its not bad, infact for a first attempt it is pretty good. (but then I suppose it is just a level 3 Crushgrip Constrictor from the MM)

The HPs and Defences all seem correct.

Bite
I think this should probably by 1d8+4 damage according to your STR stat.

Constrict
I think this should probably be 1d10+8 if you want to keep it in line with the original. The fact that this is the same max damage is just a happy coincidence.

Other observations
Your description for your tactics section describes the construictor as a lurker...maybe you should consider rebuilding it as a lurker to see what difference it would make?

Remove ads