OD&D First Character Death

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My very first character ever (in Bluebook D&D) died in the first scene to a magical stalactite I forget what they called them falling from the ceiling. One die roll... an death.
1570705088948.png

Care to share yours?

Coroc

Hero
well those are things people die from...

My 5e character did go down while fighting the green dragon in LMOPD. Luckily my party had the gold to buy me a raise.

It was my first character to die, of any edition, not counting computer games of course

mortwatcher

Explorer
Most campaigns I play in fall apart before my character get's into any opportunity to die.

I think my first death was to 3-handed statue that we didn't figure out the puzzle for and instead fought it, and so I died. That's the only one I had, and a few close calls.

Oofta

Legend
Every elf or half elf I've ever played has died. Nothing spectacular, just bad rolls on my part or good rolls on the DM's part. I keep thinking the next one is going to survive.

On the other hand, I've never had a non-elf PC die. It's a curse.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Every elf or half elf I've ever played has died. Nothing spectacular, just bad rolls on my part or good rolls on the DM's part. I keep thinking the next one is going to survive.

On the other hand, I've never had a non-elf PC die. It's a curse.
Get thee hence to a Cleric dude ;)

Telvin

Explorer
1st level fighter died to a banshee wail (it was a TPK). That was in 1980 or so using the Advanced D&D rules set. Playing in the big sandbox world from Judges Guild, on the City State of the Invincible Overlord map.

Mister-Kent

Explorer
Two unconventional deaths before the first normal one:

1E Advanced (technically we were playing Labyrinth Lord, the OSR version), my crafty elf swore allegiance to the Big Bad - technically to save the rest of the party's lives, which their characters could not know. He and his wicked master died at the hands of his former party members and the Forces of Good (TM). :confused:

Another game, my reckless half-orc rogue jumped aboard a speeding hay cart to rescue a popular damsel. Swashbuckling was not her forte, and due to the bucking of the cart she accidentally impaled the hostage on her rapier. She was imprisoned and was threatened by the prison guards. It turned out to be the last session, so as far as history knows she died in prison. :confused: (until I ever decide to revive her for a future campaign that is! She's Schroedinger's Rogue!)

Then I had one character torn up by wolves. Very straightforward. I actually haven't lost a character since.

Oofta

Legend
Just to be clear: absolutely none of my elf PC deaths have been memorable. I'd be okay if they died heroically. But no. I think the first one fell to his death after missing the trap. Another just walked around the wrong corner and became a pincussion (the DM said it was the first PC he had ever killed). In 4E it was a couple of 1's in a row on death saves after dropping to 0. In 5E it was the DM critting and then rolling all the damage (including the base) and then maxing out all the die resulting in instant death because the PC was already hurt. I think I'm forgetting at least one.

In no case have I ever had an elf get past 3rd level.

P.S. I did also remember one other PC dying that wasn't an elf, but the DM that only ran for us one time. He had us all roll up 2 PCs (one of mine was an elf that died in a flooding room) and then killed off all the PCs one after another. Including the guy that was killed by a giant hand coming out of the wall. My human cleric could have survived as the last PC standing but at that point I was so disgusted that he effectively committed suicide so I'm not sure that really counts.

Remove ads