D&D General First official D&D game product you owned?

What was the first official Dungeons & Dragons product you owned?

• Original 1974 boxed set

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Original D&D supplement (Blackmoor)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • D&D Basic set (1977/1981/1983)

Votes: 79 45.1%
  • D&D BECMI set (Expert/Companion/Master/Immortals)

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • D&D Rules Cyclopedia

• D&D Basic/BECMI general supplement (Creature Catalogue)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D&D Basic/BECMI setting supplement (D&D Gazetteers)

• D&D Basic/BECMI adventure (Keep on the Borderlands)

• AD&D 1e core (MM/PHB/DMG)

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • AD&D 1e general supplement (Deities & Demigods)

• AD&D 1e setting-specific supplement (World of Greyhawk)

• AD&D 1e general adventure (Tomb of Horrors)

• AD&D 1e setting-specific adventure (Dragonlance modules)

• AD&D 2e starter set (First Quest/Introduction to/Adventure Game)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • AD&D 2e core (PHB/MM/DMG)

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • AD&D 2e general supplement (Tome of Magic, Player's Option series)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • AD&D 2e setting-specific supplement (Dark Sun Campaign Setting)

• AD&D 2e general adventure (The Rod of Seven Parts)

• AD&D 2e setting-specific adventure (Ravenloft modules)

• D&D 3e starter set (Adventure Game/Basic Game)

• D&D 3e core (PHB/MM/DMG, 3.0 or 3.5)

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • D&D 3e general supplement (Book of Nine Swords)

• D&D 3e setting-specific supplement (Magic of Faerun)

• D&D 3e general adventure (The Sunless Citadel)

• D&D 3e setting-specific adventure (Eberron modules)

• D&D 4e Starter Set (2008/2010)

• D&D 4e original core (PHB/MM/DMG)

• D&D 4e expanded core (PHB 2/3, MM 2/3, DMG 2)

• D&D 4e Essentials core (Rules Compendium, Heroes of the Fallen Lands, DM's Kit, etc.)

• D&D 4e general supplement (Martial Power, Heroes of the Feywild)

• D&D 4e setting-specific supplement (Dark Sun Creature Catalog)

• D&D 4e general adventure (Keep on the Shadowfell)

• D&D 4e setting-specific adventure (Seekers of the Ashen Crown)

• D&D Next general adventure (Dead in Thay)

• D&D 5e Starter Set (includes Essentials Kit, Stranger Things)

• D&D 5e core rules (PHB/MM/DMG)

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • D&D 5e general supplement (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything)

• D&D 5e setting-specific supplement (Eberron: Rising from the Last War)

• D&D 5e adventure (Storm King's Thunder)

• Other (please specify)

• I've never owned an official D&D product

• (late add) D&D Basic set (1991/1994, New Easy-to-Master/Classic)

• Poll closed .

Jer

Legend
Supporter
The '83 Basic set (Metzner) was my first, followed shortly by the '81 Expert set. I believe both were being sold at either Toys R Us or Target and my mom picked them up for me for my birthday and Christmas respectively (I think I got Star Frontiers the same Christmas because my mom thought it was another D&D boxed set).

I'd been playing D&D for a little bit before I got that first boxed set because the older brother of a friend ran a campaign for us, but once I got that basic boxed set I became the forever DM among my own group of friends.

I had a friend who sold me a few 2E revised edition books with the black covers. In the pile was some stuff from a basic starter set with the same color schemes, layout and type face as the 2E revised books. The adventure in it was set in the Dalelands of the Forgotten Realms and one thing that I distinctly remember was there was an extra Dale, Silverdale. Never saw it mentioned before or since. I never knew where the book was from because it was loose, thrown in with the rest of the books I bought. I wonder if this was from the set youre talking about?
I dont recall a Daleland adventure being included with the starter set I had. However that does remind me of the adventure that came with the 2e Forgotten Relams grey box. All those books were grey though. Interesting.

R_J_K75

Legend
I dont recall a Daleland adventure being included with the starter set I had. However that does remind me of the adventure that came with the 2e Forgotten Relams grey box. All those books were grey though. Interesting.
This was definitely a revised 2E book of some sort, not the 1E Grey Box style. I only had the one book, a few monster sheets and some other odds and ends which I can only assume were from a starter set. It's been 25 years, so I don't remember all the particulars. It may have been a short adventure at the back of the starter book as opposed to a standalone book. I've always wondered where they were from, I've looked but never was able to find it,

Weiley31

Legend
Googling around I just found this read through thread of it. Might engage in a bit of threadnecromancy...

You know, I happen to be something of a Threadomancer myself.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
A beat-up old AD&D DMG I found at a used book sale. I knew it was for the game my friends’ older siblings played and wouldn’t let me play, and I was so excited to teach myself how to play it. I was very confused when I tried reading it, and it felt like half the book was missing. There were some rules but they were lacking crucial context. Mostly, the book seemed to be talking about rules that I couldn’t seem to find anywhere. The obtuse writing style didn’t help.

Yardiff

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure I owned the Basic box set with the blue and white rules book, and had B2 Caves of Chaos in it. We also had the AD&D MM and PHB with some Arduin Grimoire dungeon modules such as Caliban and the Howling Tower. We didnt know that these items were from different but similar game systems.

I (eventually) managed to gather together all the looseleaf MCs, and they take up (counts) seven binders on my bookshelf. But the idea of a properly alphabetized version is appealing... I think there are a few still missing on DTRPG, however (and a few that are on there apparently have errors).
along with the actual MCs, there were MC pages scattered amongst several products... The Horde had a few, not sure about the other 2E boxed sets...

Remove ads