• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Bagpuss

Legend
19. Critical hits are being nerfed, since you don't reroll and add all damage dice, but only the Weapon damage. No more sneak attacking rogues rolling buckets of d6s on a critical unless they word it carefully in the Rogue class description. It is also possible, now, to have a weapon damage that does... no damage dice. Net and blowguns, maybe? Were people using those routinely?

Yeah perhaps it was done to nerf attack roll spells doing critical hits, but it also nerfs Sneak Attack, Superiority Dice and Smite, so the martial classes get screwed over even more. Not a change I like.

halfling rogue

Explorer
The cool thing about 5e D&D is it's modularity and flexibility. How I run D&D with my group is surely different than another group, but it's still recognizably D&D. I assume this is how it's been from the beginning of D&D in general, but they did emphasize it with 5e. (We're not the target audience for most products that hit the shelves. I don't buy any fluff books, or any 'player forward' books, or even monster books. I do buy adventures though. That is, if they are worth it. I want good adventure design that I can use and have fun with.)

But the ironic thing about flexibility and modularity is that it needs a core that doesn't break. So long as they build around that core and not re-invent it, I think it could work. Saying X, Y, and Z are 'options' works. But the trend I'm seeing is to tinker with the core. A flattening of the races/backgrounds/etc. I get that such things are optional, but it really feels like they just want to have everyone create a character just like someone chooses a 'skin' in Fortnite or something. Create whatever statblock you want and then skin it however you'd like. If that is the direction they're going to go (loose the attributes! no specific racial bonuses!) the core doesn't break at that point, but it does become mush. And you can set it up in such a way that it is compatible with the past version, but it will ghettoize the past versions playing only past versions, because the new stuff becomes more unwieldy, in ways that may be compatible, but creates an increasing amount of work (and wasted material) for people who are just going to strip that stuff out in their own games. At some point, for many, the cons of the material being produced will outweigh the pros.

I bet that for most tables it will be 2014 phb or 2024phb... I do wonder though, will there be 2014+tasha +motm tables that just do 1/2 upgrade?
If they are committed to the coexistence of both phb, they will certainly allow to use both in AL and other official events. Will it be enough to encourage it too for private table? Quite less obvious. They will probably disallow to make character using both phb at the same time, avoiding a fiesta of shenanigans.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
i'm not sure you can say for sure one way or the other on either of these... and I will take my 'not normative' experence with 100's of players over your 'normative' with a few friends
Anecdote versus anecdote. Hundreds are no more representative of millions than a dozen. But you know who does have data on what people actually do...the designers making this material.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I hope that's the case (since I want some pretty significant changes to some classes), but I remain curious how much they'll let themselves be constrained by a desire to be backwards compatible with subclasses in old books. We'll know a lot more once the class playtest docs start dropping. Agreed though that I don't expect there to be some massive outcry, most people I've talked to are broadly positive what we've seen so far.
Welp...no book is entirely made up of Subclasses. So they could break all of the Subclasses and Xanathar's could still be technically used.

Alternatively and more likely...they could have a paragraph in a sidebar providing a "conversion" proces, as they do here describing how to mix 2014 Races with the new Backgrounds.

Remove ads