• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Happy to see that neither Great Weapon Master nor Sharpshooter are in the 1st-level Feat list. That should help encourage variety.

I feel like Lucky is a strong pick for Humans though. Having essentially 3 points of Inspiration feels strong.
Yeah, still banning that. Weird that it's inspiration but they insist on it being it's own thing. Just lift the inspiration cap and rework Lucky to give you prof bonus inspiration at the start of each long rest. Then do the logical thing and let players decide to spend inspiration after rolling. Boom. Done.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The name 'Ardling' doesn't really bother me, because it's about time the Guardinals got re-introduced into the game. They're the one Great Wheel extraplanar alignment-based creature that's never really been highlighted since like 2E. All the other ones have shown up in the game much more often:

Chaotic Good - Fey
Chaotic Neutral - Slaad
Chaotic Evil - Demons
Neutral Evil - Yugoloths
Lawful Evil - Devils
Lawful Neutral - Modrons
Lawful Good - Angels (or Archons)
Neutral Good - Guardinals

So the fact they are now highlighting the Guardinals by giving them a descendant race for PCs to me is a cool thing. And as far as the name is concerned, I suppose they could have been called 'Ardinals' or 'Guardlings' or something... but 'Ardling' as a descendant of Guardinals works okay too in my opinion.

I also wonder if this new race is being introduced because as they've now obviously been working on Planescape they realized that Guardinals have gotten short shrift these past several editions and they wanted to rectify that. And while they could have put Ardlings into the Planescape setting book... maybe they thought it would be better to just have it be in the PHB as an opposite number to the Tiefling.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
One thing I was surprised about is Crawford saying they wanted players to spend inspiration more freely, but that they were keeping the binary state of having or not having inspiration. If you want players to spend inspiration, you can't only give it to them more often, you have to give them more instances of it. I've seen this in playing Fate and in 5E when I raised the limit of inspiration PCs could have. Once they knew they could have several at a time, poof, they stopped treating them like they were precious and started actually using them.
Inspiration should be changed to the way many tables use it: instead of advantage it should grant a re-roll.

Remove ads