• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Sir Brennen

Legend
you are free to go back over the last month every time this comes up and I called it 5.5/6/anniversary edition and I was told nothing was changing you can use or mix and match 2014 phb and 2024 phb...
Told by who? I don't recall any official mention that it would be the case, and I really didn't expect that degree of compatibility to ever be the case.

We do not know that these are all the races that will be available for the entirety of the playtest. It's jumping the gun just a little, tiny bit to say that since half-orcs and half-elves aren't in this very first playtest doc on the very first day that therefore they are gone from D&D.
in the interview Crawford said they replaced half orc... I will admit I assumed this applied to half elf too.

I just see my feedback already that both of those need to stay distinctive.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
And yet, because the all-important math isn't being changed, somehow all this stuff doesn't make this a new edition? This is at least a 1e-2e shift.
Right now, it's just a reframing of the various character build elements with some slightly different philosophies used. The change is about at the level of a base 4e->Essentials to me. Now, if they do something like make pre-2024 subclasses not work with 2024 classes, or change the skill list, then we're at a level of change where I feel like "backwards compatible" isn't credible.

And honestly, 2e really didn't need to be called a different edition, anyway. I'm not an expert on 1e, but I recall very little changing other than level limits being raised and NWP being made standard. Was there anything that stopped a 1e half-orc assassin from being playable in a 2e game?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
That doesn't preclude that option any more than an Arcane spell list means they can't give Wizard Subclasses unique spell lists.

It just means Warlocks would get their own cool dark spell list that could also be applied to other "Dark" spellcasters and things that isn't the same as the Wizard list.
There is no reason for all warlocks to share a "dark" spell list. Firstly, not all warlocks are dark, secondly there is no reason for all warlocks to have tentacles and hellfire. And thirdly, why shouldn't sorcerer have "dark" magic? Sorcerers and warlocks have very close themes.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
yes you can just use the 2024 book... but is that still useing the 2014 booK? as for how much power it is, I don't know but it more likely then not will get you told "Here, use this book instead"
So, from the DM side. If you're DMing using the 2014 book, and a player you trust didn't understand and shows up with the 2024 book and a character for it - do you let them play it or make them convert it?

Told by who? I don't recall any official mention
I'm sorry I don't remember using 'official mention' either... in fact my argument for months has been NO PEOPLE ON THESE BOARDS DON"T KNOW WHAT IS COMING.... so I would say the exact opposite of official. but boy was I told it over and over and over again.
I really didn't expect that degree of compatibility to ever be the case.
neither did I... infact I have been saying so since the announcement of it, and being told I was wrong

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I don't understand how folks think this is a completely new edition of D&D. It feels more like someone's house-rules for character creation to me.

Besides. I think that branding it as a new edition right now, when all of the 5th Edition graphs are up and to the right, would be a really bad idea.

EDIT: I read the FAQ over on D&D Beyond, and...it didn't spark joy. I might be mistaken about this being a new edition.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads