• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

I find it bizarre that they could recognize that virtually everyone house ruled (or at least soft house-ruled) nat 20s and 1s as auto-success or failure outside of combat, bend to that common will, and yet still bizarrely think they can make monster crits on 20s disappear.

But for me the potential dealbreaker is not the above, easily houseruleable thing, but the dark thing lurking on the horizon of probably eliminating class specific spell lists. Dammit WotC, I don't have time to make my own class spell lists. That's the sort of content I need you for.

I mean, I totally get where you're coming from, but like, the sort of people who want a rando anthro are definitely going to be pretty okay with the "angelic wings" deal, because it fits with so much of that stuff. Especially the catgirl types.

So I think this is a stroke of evil genius myself. As soon as they said Ardling my brain said "Here comes some kind of planar Furry...".
This. I mean I have no interest at all in playing the Ardling but it utterly nails a couple of fantasy characters I've seen newbies want to play. It's not my thing and that's completely fine. It is some other peoples' thing and creates characters that are very hard to play in any other way. So I consider "the pretty anthro celestial furry race" to be a good addition to the game. Not my kink but it is plenty of peoples'.

Crawford was at pains to point out in the video that they expect people to playtestvthese Race and Vackground options with 2014 Classes and Subclasses. These are new modules in the same framework.
Yeah, but don't expect 2014 Classes and subclasses to remain unchanged. Right at the end of the video they make it clear they're going to do UAs that "drill down" into specific subjects, and among the examples are individual classes.

So we could potentially see some very significant reconfigurations of classes, because it's not like the old stuff will be "incompatible". If they rejig Monk, completely, the old Monk and old subclasses will still work with 1D&D, just not with 1D&D's version of the Monk, but that's still backwards-compatible (and it really is - I work with software that does stuff like that).

I find it bizarre that they could recognize that virtually everyone house ruled (or at least soft house-ruled) nat 20s and 1s as auto-success or failure outside of combat, bend to that common will, and yet still bizarrely think they can make monster crits on 20s disappear.

But for me the potential dealbreaker is not the above, easily houseruleable thing, but the dark thing lurking on the horizon of probably eliminating class specific spell lists. Dammit WotC, I don't have time to make my own class spell lists. That's the sort of content I need you for.
I think classes and subclasses are still going to pretty often add spells for that class/subclass, and these lists will represent the baseline, so it might not be too awful.

Haplo781

Legend

I don't get any indication that class lists are going anywhere. Just that every spell will have an additional tag.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You're not just a common infantry grunt, you're reading the war manuals of the great theorists. And the equivalent to Clausewitz's On War or Sun Tzu's The Art of War was written by a hobgoblin. Which you, dedicated war nerd that you are, learned to read in the original tongue.

This is one of those backgrounds that seems great for a game starting at 3rd level, but just feels off for first level in 5e. (Same for Gladiator).

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just tested that for you.
I explained the different rule changes, the upcoming releases etc.

I'd say they probably understood about 30% of what I was saying.
And they cared for about 10% of it.

The only question was: ''so I can keep my dice?''.

:p
My casual players are only going to care if they have to remake their characters, and relearn the game.

And if the answer is yes, they’re out. Period.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Absolutely not.

A bad Feat got nerfed to be a terrible Feat. Right now, it's a 1/turn reroll and use either, and it's a bad Feat.

They made it so it's 1/turn AND only if you take the Attack Action, so you can't use it on Opportunity Attacks, can't use it on Bonus Action attacks, and so on. Terrible.

Yeah they mention it at least once, but weirdly neither it nor Long Rest are asterisked when they do (where Long Rest has an asterisk in all other appearances), and don't detail it. Safe to say it probably changed, but not to what (though I'll be shocked if it's not 5 or 10 minutes now).

Most surprising thing here was that Long Rest still heals you to full and still fills half your HD. Was really expecting the default to decrease there.
It seems the only changes to long rest are that it is now explicitly interrupted by any amount of combat (might or might not be a functional change depending on how your DM interpreted the original wording) and that you gain the benefits of a short rest if your long rest is interrupted after an hour or longer (though this is definitely a functional change, it’s probably one we can safely file under “making it work the way everyone was running it anyway.”)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Unintended consequence: The character with the Crafter feat will quickly find themselves becoming the Party Shopper, sent out to make any and all purchases for the group, from getting a round in at the tavern to purchasing huge tracts of land.

The obvious feat chain progression here is Crafter -> Cook -> Barista -> Masseuse.

FINALLY there will be a Druid build that will contribute to the party.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads