D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's a little spread out. It doesn't leave any room for revisions or other releases, like the full feat list or updates to spells. I'll put my money on them releasing classes in packs of three or four at a time. Something substantial enough to get real feedback on, but not so huge to overwhelm testers.
They said a year, and Mayne a year and a half. Since the Classes are probably what theybare primarily going to test, seems about right. They have never, wver put Monsters through UA, and theybalready appear to have those changes worked out per MotM.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Really, I love the new build-a-background guidelines and moving the ASI to backgrounds too.
Which is completely and utterly pointless.

People complain about ASIs in races, so they make them "floating". Now, they move them to backgrounds, which by default are completely customizable anyway so the ASI are, in fact, still floating; making the "change" utterly pointless.

It's like, when with the devs finally get it. Just make ASI part of generating ability scores or bake them into the numbers by default...

Anyway, bowing out.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Honestly, I haven't seen anything so far to suggest a 2014 character and 2024 character can't play at the same table with no conversion necessary, but maybe I'm missing something.
I should clarify, my initial very negative reaction was more about how people described the new stuff than about the media itself. Rewatching the video while not freaking out, it does seem to be that they want to be able to make PCs with stuff from any point in 5e’s publication life, without any conversion.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Just looking over the backgrounds, weird that they're listing out specific languages. I know that it includes a statement where you can swap things out, it's just weird that backgrounds like charlatan knows Infernal or cultists knows Abyssal (rather than choose Abyssal or Infernal). For every background except criminal, it just seems like they're trying to shoehorn in the language choices.
Keep in mind, they’re presenting create-your-own-background as the default and the pre-written backgrounds as examples. They give a specific language for the same reason they grant a specific tool, and a specific feat, and specific ASIs, and specific starting equipment: because they’re for if you just want to pick a background and call it a day instead of making all those choices yourself.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm not sure I do. Languages are burdensome to implement in any case. I like the fact that the deaf across species can speak to each other, even if they don't come from the same culture.
I’m not saying I don’t want Common sign language to exist (which would allow deaf and hard of hearing people from across cultures to communicate). I just want other sign languages to exist so that deaf and hard of hearing people can communicate with each other within their culture without being understood by others. That’s the main use for languages in D&D anyway, right? Everyone speaks Common, so you don’t need other languages to be understood. You need them so you can speak to your in-group without being understood by folks outside of it.

Last edited:

Remove ads