• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
But these aren’t racial ASIs. They are background ASIs.

Soooo…..

Well, they're proposed to be background ASIs instead of racial one's, and WotC is seeking comments on everything, right?

I'm going to comment that I wish they just let the ASIs float and folks could justify it however they want.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Depends on what fantasy means to you. It seems to me that to you it means, "literally anything is possible, and reality as we Earth humans understand it has no meaning". That's not a world, even a fantasy one, that I want to play in.
There’s a line somewhere between "literally anything is possible, and reality as we Earth humans understand it has no meaning" and “my character who is ostensibly a hero in a fantastical world just feels like Some Guy who happens to own a sword.” Where exactly that line is varies from person to person, and it tends to be a rather fine line wherever it lies.

Personally, I think the best benchmark to use is heroes of myth like Heracles. I think that should be the benchmark for high level (by which I mean like 11+) martial characters. YMMV.

Ixal

Hero
But these aren’t racial ASIs. They are background ASIs.

Soooo…..
Background ASI do not make sense.
Your training and life choices are already reflected by the standard array and a background doesn't necessarily lead to an ASI. A good for nothing ne'er do well would not build any abilities with his lifestyle and a noble is not automatically charismatic.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
No, they're not. You're just making things up.
I mean, it kind of feels like reaching the human maximum takes both? (I'm not going to be the next Michael Jordan no matter how hard I work, and it feels like Michael Jordan wouldn't have been MVP material if he went out for the chess team or had taken up video gaming full time instead of working out for basketball).

Remove ads