D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
While I agree with the end-goal of enabling more mixed race options without having to create a new, unique racial statblock for every possible permutation, I am curious how the removal of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs will be represented with the Dragonmarked versions in Eberron...
Maybe they'll somebody go back and do a new version, but there's no particular reason you can't use the Eberron Dragonmarked races with 2024 material.

OB1

Jedi Master
After reading them and thinking thru them for a hot minute, the new crit rules are really starting to grow on me. I'm assuming that both monsters and classes (rogue sneak attack, for example) will have rules exceptions for what happens on a crit, Opens up a TON of design space.

Now to go back and read thru the new classes and feats. Feeling pretty optimistic about OD&D right now :)

Having played in a game where some used OD&D, some B/X, and some AD&D for their characters... I wonder if the biggest determinant of whether a half edition is a break might be whether players who want the old stick to just using it instead of trying to cross-book min-max, and how angry everything makes the DM.
100% I think that is it... 3e died to 3.5 because few if any tables used both, 4e and essentials worked because few if any tables drew a line 'this or that'

Remove ads