• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

OB1

Jedi Master
I just skimmed... there is no short rest in the glossary, or in any mechanic. The feats very much (except skilled and tough) changed so I don't see how it is backwards compatible when 2 feats with different effects are in the game?
It's mentioned in the long rest section that if you don't complete the long rest but got at least 1 hour in before the interruption, you benefit from a short rest.

Also, thank god, they clarified that combat during a long rest means you have to start the rest over.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm reasonably OK with linking bonuses to background. My favorite idea would be +1 from race, +1 from class, +1 from background, but this is better than just willy-nilly putting them wherever you think they'll give you the most benefit.
But since you can do a custom background, I'm guessing it will effectively still be willy-nilly.

At this point, having them just be part of the ability score generation process seems easiest to me. (Here, use an array, points, or roll.. then put a +1 and +2 in two different spots).

Which again, isn’t an “accident”. It’s the DM preventing character death/consequences. Which is fine. Some people want to tell a story over a game with stakes and threats and that’s absolutely valid. No wrong way to play. But there is no such thing as an accidental death of a player.

Oh don't mistake me for saying you're having badwrongfun with your playstyle. For me I don't like it because of the randomness. I play Pathfinder 2, where higher-level monsters crit the hell out of players! I just think the randomness of how it is implemented is somewhat problematic in this case. Just my opinion, not at all saying you are wrong. :)

Remove ads