D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm....not sure how to answer that. Are you saying you don't find Powerful Build to be less colorful/evocative/flavorful than +2 Str?

I keep hearing that without fixed racial ASIs the races are all identical. But if that's true, then Elves and Halflings and Tabaxi are already "identical". Do you find that to be true?
No, but I also don't think Powerful Build is a particularly flavorful ability. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Honestly, if they would just split heritage and culture all of this would be so much easier. But I guess WotC thinks people can't handle one more decision point.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
A retread of an older meme.

Obviously.png

Micah Sweet

The thing is, if they make any significant changes to the core class at all, it's likely to become incompatible with some subclasses, and once that happens, there's no point trying to make it compatible with others - it'd almost be worse to have, say, a 6E Fighter compatible with 50% of old subclasses than one cleanly compatible with 0%. And it's not breaking their word if 5E classes only work with 5E subclasses, so long as mechanically they fit into the 6E system generally.
Corporations do love their semantic arguments.

Micah Sweet

If they are committed to the coexistence of both phb, they will certainly allow to use both in AL and other official events. Will it be enough to encourage it too for private table? Quite less obvious. They will probably disallow to make character using both phb at the same time, avoiding a fiesta of shenanigans.
I really, really don't think they are committed to both phb. I think they want to change the game, and are seeing how far they can take it. If they don't expect most people to use the 2024 edition and DDB when the time comes I will be very surprised.

Remove ads