D&D 5E Five new players. 1st level PCs. First monster they meet is...

Wuzzard

First Post
Obviously, the Dungeon Master (from old D&D cartoon) should appear to warn the heroes what they are up against, and should smack those not paying attention with a sharp stick.

jgsugden

Legend
The best first encounter is a role playing encounter.

Don't drop them into combat first as that then becomes the foundation for the game. Instead, present them with a challenge that must be addressed through role playing. For example, if they have the typical, "You're in a tavern..." start, have them begin with a negotiation to get information, a fire they have to figure out how to put out, a murder mystery to solve, catching a thief, etc...

Scorpio616

First Post
Whatever you do, don't throw them against a group of "thugs" that outnumber them 2 to 1. That was my first encounter and I severely underestimated what CR meant (GM's guide wasn't out yet), not to mention the effect of pack tactics.
Yes, the Monster Manual "Thugs" are pretty solid.

I might go as far to say the CR rules might be slightly undervaluing the pack tactics ability.

discosoc

First Post
Yes, the Monster Manual "Thugs" are pretty solid.

I might go as far to say the CR rules might be slightly undervaluing the pack tactics ability.

After getting the GM's guide, I calculated the encounter difficulty again out of curiosity and it was pretty accurate. It came out to 3 times the "deadly" value. In truth, I should have been using 1/8 CR creatures, but I simply didn't know how CR was used.

WotC really made a mistake by staggering the book releases like they did.

Wik

First Post
Game night is in two hours. And we just got a huge change in player roster - so now there's seven PCs. I'll change the monster numbers on the fly.

I'm going to keep the gas spore, but do as [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] suggested and telegraph its presence. I'm going to use an RP encounter first (a crucified ORACLE). And I've thrown in a wounded otyugh that could be befriended or killed (its tentacles are all that's seen, at first).

Scorpio616

First Post
After getting the GM's guide, I calculated the encounter difficulty again out of curiosity and it was pretty accurate. It came out to 3 times the "deadly" value.
One thing to keep in mind is the multiple creature multiplier assumes is all the foes can attack the PCs each round with their best attack routine. If foes have to wait in line, the DM has to use their judgement how difficult the encounter really is.

Remove ads