D&D 5E Five new players. 1st level PCs. First monster they meet is...

discosoc

First Post
One thing to keep in mind is the multiple creature multiplier assumes is all the foes can attack the PCs each round with their best attack routine. If foes have to wait in line, the DM has to use their judgement how difficult the encounter really is.

That's more for "wave" encounters, but yes I'm aware of that.

Wik

First Post
Well, session was done. The notes I posted on facebook:

Session Notes:

Kigen playing Balasar, a Black Dragonborn "Knightly" Barbarian
Maggie, playing Bunny, an albino half-elven bard
Eshu, playing Nikolai, a human cleric of life worshipping Polymni
Alex, playing Tarinn, a gold dragonborn wizard with an abundance of caution
Raven, playing Jinxx, a tiefling bard with a penchant for suffering
Sebastian, playing Hubert, a creepy human warlock of the elder gods

The party of neophytes is sent at the request of Domnik, a prominent merchant, to rescue his prize racing horse, Windchaser. Naturally, kobolds are involved - the little scamps.

Along the way, the party finds an oracle who has been strung up in a box canyon. With the milked-over eyes of a prophet, she drops cryptic hints, before succumbing to her wounds. The party forces their way into a kobold cave, battling kobolds and an axe beaked critter.

The party then finds a strange shrine dedicated to Valagr, the fury of undeath. Hubert snuffs the candle, and is cursed to vulnerability to undeath effects - this will bite him in the butt later!

The party then finds a pool of green slime. Wisely, they avoid it, but inspect a corpse of a kobold who was once lowered inside. Balasar and Hubert find a platinum coin hidden inside, and secretly keep the funds.

Making their down a side passage, Balasar triggers a kobold trap, and then sees a kobold body covered in fungi. He triggers it, and finds some weird religious materials in a pack. Around the corner, they find a fungal, floating eye over a chest. Tarinn hits it with a spell, and it explodes!

The chest, covered with poisonous fungus, is bashed in by Balasar ("oh, if only we had someone who could pick locks!"), which destroys the potions within. But hey, at least there was loot. And a nice handaxe that Jinxx pockets.

The party doubles back, and finds a sword in a stone. Balasar, knowing it's a trap, pulls out the stone anyways, because hey, why not? It animates and tries to attack him. It does an alright job, but not enough to stop a raging barbarian.

the group then invades a room filled with kobolds and a strange, two-headed dog. Things get a bit rough. Jinxx hits a kobold with a laughter spell, incapacitating him, while everyone else gets bashy. Eventually, they prevail, and interrogate the surviving kobold, a talkative little fellow named Jibjub.

Jinxx repeatedly pokes him in the eyes, nearly blinding the poor fellow, to repeated cries of "what the hell!?" Tarinn does a bit of negotiation, as they both speak draconic, for good effect. Jibjub gives a bit of advice, and is thoroughly cowed by Jinxx and Bunny's combined "good bard, bad bard" routine.

The party quickly makes its way onward, with Nikolai destroying a kobold watchman with a heavy crossbow through liberal use of a sacred flame. He doesn't last long.

Then we trigger the main battle - three kobolds, two skeletons, and a kobold "king" covered in strange eye jewelry that seem to answer questions. The "king" is a bloated corpse.

The party gets fighty, and as Tarinn uses burning hands spells and her breath weapon, all is well. Until a ghoul comes up behind the party and nearly kills Hubert. Luckily, Bunny is nearby with her quick viscious mockeries (she's a quick-witted one!), and the ghoul becomes flustered enough that it's not able to feast on unlucky warlock (his recent curse by Valagr makes him highly susceptible to ghoulish paralysis).

The party prevails, makes its way back to Baeshaba, and sells loot. Everyone makes 220 experience points, putting the party well on its way to 2nd level.

IMPORTANT FINDS:
* A Fair amount of financial gains.
* A handaxe that is slightly magical, with an obsidian head. It deals an extra point of damage. Currently in Jinnx's possession.
* An unusual military pendant, being worn by Balasar.
* A fancy tricorn hat, claimed quickly by Hubert ("I am, after all, a sailor. In a desert. Whatever.")
* A wand of firebolt. Claimed by Tarinn, though it's probably not all that useful.

CAMPAIGN EFFECTS:
* Jibjub the kobold left the dungeon alive, though perhaps somewhat blinded by Jinxx's tortures. What will become of him remains to be seen.
* The "Tribe of the seven eyes" kobolds are hindered, if not eliminated.
* The cult of Valagr has been encountered - the presence of a cult of undeath doesn't bode well for Baeshaba...

the game got a bit strange, because of my open door policy. Basically, my table consisting entirely of newbies somehow morphed into a table of people who had all played before! I changed my monster list on the fly as a result, and ran the game by ear. Everyone had a blast - I had everyone tell me it was better than "the other game I'm in". Which is great. It was also the first time in YEARS that I've run a game entirely for people I'd never played with before.

Lots of fun. Monsters that I included were kobolds, a gas spore (easy fight, terrified party!), an axe beak (fun!), a zombie, a ghoul, skeletons, a death dog (mean!), and a pool of green slime that was wisely avoided. The party avoided the room with the wounded otyugh.

Most, if not all, want to return next week. Which means the game is working. Hopefully I get a different party, though - I want a rotating player base!

Quartz

Hero
So, running a game. Five of the six players have never played D&D before. They're all first level characters - I have no idea what yet, chargen is tomorrow.

It's probably too late now, but with new players, pre-generate the character sheets.

Remove ads