D&D 5E Five new players. 1st level PCs. First monster they meet is...

Wik

First Post
So, running a game. Five of the six players have never played D&D before. They're all first level characters - I have no idea what yet, chargen is tomorrow.

I want to get the game off to a good start. I have the dungeon set up so there's a monster to pass before entering the canyon dungeon. What should that monster be? What's the most interesting or memorable thing for a group of complete newbs to meet first that will get them "hooked"?

redrick

First Post
If you want to be traditional, you really can't go wrong with the good old goblin. Relatively easy to hit, low enough hp to one-shot with a good hit, but not autokill. Dangerous to first level PC. And the nimble escape feature is a simple, visible way for the monster to "do something tricky" that makes them more dangerous. Plus everybody loves roleplaying goblins!

Honestly, I think the first encounter from LMoP is a GREAT example of 5e combat. Drills home the value of surprise, cover and mobility. Over very quickly. Kills off a PC or two before the players get too attached.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I mean kobolds and skeletons and goblins are classic.

Whatever they are, just make sure it isn't a meaningless fight.

Give it some character and a purpose.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
It's stereotypical, but a Big Beefy "Death Knight", his meek Necromancer wizard ally, and his two skeleton pals who have bows.

Maybe a Hobgoblin, a Goblin, and two skeletal dogs? :)

Or a Chimera. :)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Two giant vultures, feeding on the remains of the previous group of adventurers to have delved the dungeon. They are interested in picking clean the bones of these corpses, not in attacking the PCs, but will defend themselves if attacked, taking wing and withdrawing if reduced to half hit points. The glint of something valuable that the adventurers stole from the dungeon draws the PCs' eyes, and it's soon to be in a vulture's stomach.

The vultures, if they aren't killed, most certainly attack any wounded PCs that later emerge from the dungeon.

A single, perfect feather plucked from an undamaged giant vulture would be useful to a druid, who can use it to wild shape into an animal that can fly, even if the druid's current level doesn't allow for that. (The medicine of the feather is consumed in the doing.)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So, running a game. Five of the six players have never played D&D before. They're all first level characters - I have no idea what yet, chargen is tomorrow.

I want to get the game off to a good start. I have the dungeon set up so there's a monster to pass before entering the canyon dungeon. What should that monster be? What's the most interesting or memorable thing for a group of complete newbs to meet first that will get them "hooked"?

Three balors riding a terrasque. GO BIG OR GO HOME.

...of course they're being followed by a troupe of kobolds, and the three balors say "We'll leave these interlopers to you."

No joke, though - consider something that speaks to some aspect of the big bad in the dungeon, something related to it, something to whet their appetites for the big battle they've got coming up.

mearls

Hero
I'd go with something that would make for a fun roleplaying decision that can have a big effect on the rest of the campaign, like a devil crucified to a tree and bound in a pentagram. It's dying. If they let it go, it promises render them one service in the future.

Do they help it, or let it die? Who put it there and why? Being a devil, it of course will make up whatever story it takes to escape, but it is required by the dictates of Hell to hold up its bargain.

I think that kind of thing gets across what makes tabletop RPGs unique.

Remove ads