D&D 5E "Fixing" assassinate.

Horwath

Legend
The problem with that is there just isn't a situation where this is going to work out in your favor compared to simply attacking and hiding twice.

reposition is always good option.

Maybe high priority target is out of range or behind cover.

This gives you one more round of movement.

Also, as I mentioned, maybe you do not want to be in the open every round. Low on HPs, low armor, maybe you are ranged rogue and low on arrows and you want every arrow to REALLY count.

Also if you have poison on weapons, why not spent half the doses for same poison damage?

G

Guest 6801328

This fixes the problem of surprise with losing initiative and having a non stealth party.

That sounds like the opposite of a problem. Seems to me that if you are with a non-stealth party and you lose initiative, you most definitely should not have surprise.

G

Guest 6801328

I actually love the Assassin's 9th and 13th features, but they needed to be ribbons on top of some more combat-pillar features at those levels.

They wouldn't have to be much, either. Maybe proficiency bonus to initative at 9th, crits on 19-20 at 13th?

Yeah, fair enough. They don't suck, they're just too situationally (campaign?) dependent. And to have two subclass abilities like that back to back? If you're in a campaign where there isn't a lot of urban roleplaying and intrigue, your subclass might literally give you no bonus from 3 to 17.

Horwath

Legend
3.5?

We are 3rd level and having a stroll through the memory lane. Last time we played 3.5e was in 2013-14.

Next campaign will be DMed by other friend or me in 5E

Remove ads