• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fixing the Monk Class

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I've found monks to be worse, and rogues easier to fix just by giving them skill modifier boosts and mostly removing the changes PF made to nerf sneak attack. But yes, Rogue is also getting a significant number of buffs in my houserules.

If you want, these are my current ideas for fixing rogues. I'm toying with some sort of high level ability to replicate epic skill check uses a limited number of times per day as well.

[sblock]Rogue (all changes also apply to Ninja):
- Gain a good will save progression.
- A Rogue gains a bonus to Initiative equal to half his Rogue level. Starting at level 8, a Rogue may choose (before rolling) to take a -10 penalty on his Initiative roll if there is a surprise round and he can act in it. By doing so, the Rogue gains a full round of actions in the surprise round. At level 16, a Rogue always gains a full round in the surprise round, without needing to take the penalty. At 20th level, a Rogue can always act in a surprise round.
- Every 3rd Rogue level, choose two skills. You gain the Skill Focus feat with these skills.
- Sneak attack works under concealment but not total concealment.

Relevant to Rogues but not directly part of the class:
- Blinking allows you to sneak attack.
- Enemies balancing without 3 Acrobatics ranks can be sneak attacked.
- You can sneak attack with splash weapons against a target you hit with the primary (not splash) damage.
- Acrobatics: Only contains Balance and Tumble (new skill called Athletics contains Jump and Climb). No longer a Barbarian class skill. Can be used to roll on a landing (DC 15) to reduce falling damage by 10 ft (you can still also jump down with the Athletics skill, also). Without 3 Acrobatics ranks, if you stand in an area that requires balance checks, you lose your dexterity and dodge bonuses to AC. Tumble DCs follow 3.5's rules (ie, base DC 15 and so forth, the enemy's CMD is irrelevant, etc...).
- Weapon Finesse: Any weapon that can be finessed can use the wielder's dexterity modifier instead of strength on attack rolls without need of this feat. This feat allows a creature to add his dexterity to damage with any light weapon or weapon with the finesse property instead of strength. You do not gain extra damage from wielding a weapon two-handed as you would with strength, and your damage is still modified by any strength penalty you may have (in addition to adding your dexterity modifier).
[/sblock]

EDIT: I disagree with you on the AC. Monk has great touch AC, but especially early on, his AC lags other melee characters. Combined with his d8 HD, this makes him very squishy. Say you have a Monk with 16 Wis and 14 dex (and 16 str, and a 14 con if this is not my houseruled monk...poor MAD monks...). You have an AC of 15. Any melee character has better AC than you. And while they're getting +1 armor and possibly shield for 1000 gp each, you're waiting till level 4 before yours actually goes up a point. Yes, he can benefit from mage armor, but that's not something you can expect the first few levels.

My change barely even bumps the progression much, it's just a small boost to try and help the monk keep up. Current progression caps at +5, mine caps at +7.

Have you considered a flat boost? say +2 at first level or +1 at first level and +1 at second? The yield would be the same AC wise and would give the boost at the most fragile levels.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I'm wary of making the class too front-loaded for dipping. I know the 1st commandment of optimization is not to lose a CL, but even so, I don't want to make Monk 1 too tempting for a Druid, for example.

1Mac

First Post
And Con still isn't useless. It's still used for Endurance checks, holding breath, and the only stat that outright kills you when depleted to 0 (Monk just gets some time before it happens to make low con less dangerous, but it still happens).
I've said what I think of extra resilience against Con-draining attacks. I don't think it will come up so often to justify bumping up Con for your monk. Ditto drowning, which I had forgotten about. To use my standard from before, I surmise a Fighter will want to Intimidate effectively more often than a monk will crave an extra couple of rounds underwater before having to make Fortitude checks.

Endurance checks? Here I must plead ignorance. 4e has an Endurance skill, but I thought PF continued to roll all of that up into Fortitude saves, like 3e. [Edit: Do you mean the sort of Constitution checks that the Endurance feat enhances, for running, forced marching, and so on? Those still all seem like very peripheral uses of the ability, but I could concede it's a matter of opinion.]

I still don't understand why you think a RAW monk with weak to moderate Constitution doesn't have a good enough Fortitude save.

To derail the thread to more copacetic territory, I like the Rogue changes you propose. Have you considered giving the Rogue full BAB for sneak attacks, a al Trailblazer?

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Yes, I meant forced marches and other things the Endurance feat benefits, which are Constitution checks.

And I'd rather not give the Rogue situational full BAB. I think they should be medium, and I've found through Monk that situational full BAB is annoying to deal with.

NilesB

First Post
Ask yourself this: Do I want Monks focusing on Mobility or on Full-Attacking?

If mobility, rewrite/replace flurry of blows so that a Monk isn't expected to need full attacks to function offensively.

If Full attacking, deemphasize movement powers that the Monk will never have the actions to use in favor of damage and survivability.

If need be you can create two different Monk classes.

Last edited:

Wiseblood

Adventurer

If mobility, rewrite/replace flurry of blows so that a Monk isn't expected to need full attacks to function offensively.

If Full attacking, deemphasize movement powers that the Monk will never have the actions to use in favor of damage and survivability.

Almost exactly what I was just thinking today. You are a Thread Necromancer and a Mind Reader.

I was thinking the martial artist (Chuck Norris (the guy that can slam a revolving door) and Bruce Lee a rolled into one beater of a**)

and the Mistic? Monk? IDK this guy would get the Wuxia things the insane jumping (or flying), flaming fists, Blindsight.(Tai Lung, Neo, Li Mu Bai)

Wow I would play a monk then.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer

Why not leave that up to the player? Every other combat class tends to have multiple ways you can play it, why not have both be viable and let the player choose? Furthermore, why can't you switch between the two, based on the encounter/threat? With Rushing Torrent, skirmishing and mobility is viable. With full BAB and slightly less squishiness due to hp being tied to Wis, stand still slugfesting is viable. Or I hope it is, othrwise I didn't do enough.

Stormonu

Legend
Back before PF, I was working on my own changes. I'm curious to see what you think of this approach.

[sblock]
Bonus Feat: At 1st, 3rd and 5th feat, the monk gains a bonus feat from the list of monk feats available.
Insightful Defense: At 1st level, when unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC.
Weapon Skill: At 2nd level, monks train with the use of weapons to augment their unarmed attacks. While generally striking more devastating blows with unarmed attacks, the monk’s armed attacks are generally more accurate. When attacking with a weapon a monk is proficient in, he has a good Base Attack Bonus. This also affects the monk flurry of blows attack bonus when using monk’s weapons, as shown on the table below. A monk uses his normal BAB, not his weapon BAB to determine qualification for a prestige class or feat.

Monk Talent: At every odd level, a monk gains a special talent from the list below. Some monk talents have special requirements before they may be taken.
Abundant Step (Su):You must have 10 monk levels to take this ability.
A monk with this ability can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door, once per day. Her caster level for this effect is equal to her monk level.
Charm Touch (Su): You must have the Diamond Body ability to take Charm Strike.
Declare you are using the charm strike before you make an attack roll. If you hit with a unarmed touch attack you do not deal damage but instead the victim must make a Will DC 10 + 1/2 monk level + Wis modifier save or fall under the effects of a Charm Person spell that lasts 1 minute/level. You can only attempt a charm strike on an individual once per day, and may only keep on individual charmed at a time.
Cobra Fang (Su): You must have 7 monk levels to take Cobra Fang.
As a full–attack action, you can make a single unarmed strike that poisons the target. Cobra Fang (Touch; Fort DC 10 + ½ monk levels + Wis modifier; Init: 1d10 Con; Sec: 1d10 Con).
This ability may be used once per day.
Damage Reduction (Ex): You must have a base Fort save of +5 or higher.
The monk gains DR 1/–. This increases by 1 every 5 levels.
Defensive Stance (Ex): You must have a Base Attack Bonus of +1 or higher and the Stability ability to take Defensive Stance.
When a monk adopts a defensive stance, she gains phenomenal strength and durability, but he cannot move from the spot she is defending. He gains +2 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, a +2 magic bonus on all saves, and a +4 dodge bonus to AC. The increase in Constitution increases the defender’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the defensive stance when the Constitution score drops back 4 points. These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are. While in a defensive stance, a defender cannot use skills or abilities that would require her to shift his position. A defensive stance lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A monk may end her defensive stance voluntarily prior to this limit. At the end of the defensive stance, the monk is winded and takes a –2 penalty to Strength for the duration of that encounter. A monk can only use his defensive stance once a day. For every 4 monk levels, and never more than once in a given encounter, the monk can use defensive stance an additional time per day. Using the defensive stance takes no time itself, but a monk can only do so during her action.
Devotion: You must have a Will save of +5 or better and the Still Mind Ability.
The monk can cast a handful of divine spells, as shown on the table below. To cast a spell, a monk must have a Wisdom of 10 + Spell level. The spells are chosen from the Sun, Travel, Law and Protection domains.

(Paladin spell advancement to 9th level)

Devotion, Greater: You must have a Will save of +7 or better, 10 levels of monk and the Devotion ability to take Greater Devotion.​
The monk continues to progress in being able to cast a handful of spells, as shown on the table below. To cast a spell, the monk must have a Wisdom of 10 + Spell level. The spells are chosen from the Sun, Travel, Law and Protection domains.​

(Paladin spell advancement to 14th level)

Devotion, Supreme: You must have a Will save of +9 or better, 15 levels of Monk and the Greater Devotion ability to take Supreme Devotion.​
The monk continues to progress in being able to cast a handful of spells, as shown on the table below. To cast a spell, the monk must have a Wisdom of 10 + Spell level. The spells are chosen from the Sun, Travel, Law and Protection domains.

(Paladin spell advancement to 20th level)

Diamond Body (Su): You must have the Purity of Body ability to take Diamond Body and have a base Fortitude save of +8.
The monk gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.
Diamond Soul (Su):You must have the Diamond Body ability and a base Fortitude save of +8 to take Diamond Soul.
A monk with this ability gains spell resistance equal to her current monk level + 10. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk’s spell resistance.
Dragon Punch (Su): You must have the Ki Strike, and a BAB of +6 or better to take Dragon Punch.
As an attack action, you make a single unarmed attack at your highest BAB. If you hit, you deal your normal unarmed attack damage plus +1d4 elemental damage (acid, cold, fire or sonic) per 2 monk levels you possess. This ability can be used once per day per 5 levels of monk you possess. You cannot use this ability more than once per round.
Elemental Affinty (Su): You must have a base Fortitude save of +5.
The monk gains energy resistance acid, cold, electricity, fire or sonic 5. The choice of resistance must be decided when this ability is taken and cannot be changed. This ability may be taken multiple times, each for a different resistance type.
Elemental Granduer (Su): You must have the Elemental Affinty ability, the Elemental Temperance ability and a base Fortitude save of +11.
One of the resistance you have with Elemental Temperance is changed to an immunity to that element.
Elemental Temperance (Su): You must have the Elemental Temperance ability and a base Fortitude save of +8.
One of the resistance you have with Elemental Affinity is upgraded to energy resistance 15. You may select this ability multiple times, once for each Elemental Affinity you have.
Empty Body (Su):You must have a Will save of +10 to take Empty Body.
A monk with this ability can assume an ethereal state for 1 round per monk level per day, as though using the spell etherealness. She may go ethereal on a number of different occasions during any single day, as long as the total number of rounds spent in an ethereal state does not exceed her monk level.
Essence of the Wind (Su): You must have a Reflex save of +8 to take Essence of the Wind.
A monk with this ability can blink as per the spell, once per day. The caster level is equal her monk level.
Evasion (Ex): You must have a base Reflex save of +3 to take this ability.
If a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Focus Ki (Su): You must have the Ki strike ability.
By taking a full–round action to focus your “inner breath”, you gain a +2 competence bonus to any one ability score, skill roll, saving throw or to your Base attack bonus. The bonus lasts for one minute. Once you have chosen which attribute will gain the bonus, you cannot change it for the remainder of the enhancement. You may use this ability once per day per 5 levels.
Fast Movement (Ex): You must have at least 3 levels of monk to take this ability. At every level divisable by 3, the fast movement bonus increases by +10 feet. (Thus, you gain +10 at 3rd, +20 ft. at 6th, +30 ft. at 9th, +40 ft. at 12th, +50 ft. at 15th and +60 ft. at 18th)
Flow Like Water (Su): You must have a Reflex save of +5 to take Flow Like Water.
Once per day, for up to 1 round/2 levels, you act as if under a Haste spell. The monk’s caster level is equal to her monk level. This is a haste effect.
Flurry of Blows (Ex):When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy.
When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a –2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Monk. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to –1, and at 9th level it disappears. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.
When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1–1/2 or x 1/2) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.
In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability. Even though the quarterstaff requires two hands to use, a monk may still intersperse unarmed strikes with quarterstaff strikes, assuming that she has enough attacks in her flurry of blows routine to do so.
When a monk reaches 11th level, her flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack she gets from flurry of blows, she gets a second extra attack at her full base attack bonus.

Improved Evasion (Ex): The monk must have the Evasion ability and a Reflex base save of +6. The monks evasion ability improves. She still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex):You must have the Uncanny Dodge ability to take Improved Uncanny Dodge.
With this ability, the monk can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the barbarian by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has monk levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.
Iron Body (Su): You must have a Fortitude save of +10 and the Diamond Body ability to take Iron Body.
Once per day, you can use the wizard spell Iron Body as a supernatural ability. Your caster level is equal to your monk level.
Ki Strike (Adamantine): You must have the Ki Strike (magic), Ki Strike (Lawful) and a base Fortitude save of +10 or better to take this ability.
The monk’s unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness.
Ki Strike (Cold Iron): You must have the Ki strike (magic) ability to take Ki Strike (Cold Iron).
The monk’s unarmed attacks are treated as cold iron weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.
Ki Strike (Energy): You must have the Ki strike (magic) ability and a base Fortitude save of +10 to take this ability.
Half of the monk’s unarmed damage from attacks are treated as a form of energy (acid, cold, fire or sonic). The energy type must be selected when this ability is taken and cannot be changed.
Ki Strike (Good):You must have the Ki strike (magic) ability to take Ki Strike (Lawful).
The monk’s unarmed attacks are also treated as good–aligned weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.
Ki Strike (Evil):You must have the Ki strike (magic) ability to take Ki Strike (Lawful).
The monk’s unarmed attacks are also treated as evil–aligned weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.
Ki Strike (Magic): The monk’s unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. Her unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. You may only have one Ki strike active at a time. At 15th level, you may have up to two Ki strike abilities active at one time.
Ki Strike (Lawful):You must have the Ki strike (magic) ability to take Ki Strike (Lawful).
The monk’s unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.
Ki Strike (Silver): You must have the Ki strike (magic) ability to take Ki Strike (Silver).
The monk’s unarmed attacks are also treated as silver weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.
Martial Secret: You may take a martial artist feat. You may ignore ability score requirements for the feat, but must meet all other requirements.
Natural Avoidance (Ex): You gain a dodge bonus to AC of +1. This increases by +1 every 4 monk levels thereafter.
Purity of Body (Su):You must have a base Fortitude saving throw of +4 to take this ability.
A monk with this ability gains a +8 bonus to saves against all diseases.
Quivering Palm (Su): You must have 15 monk levels to take Quivering Palm.
With this ability, a monk can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if the monk so desires. She can use this quivering palm attack once a day, and she must announce her intent before making her attack roll. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected. Otherwise, if the monk strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter the monk can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of hours equal to her monk level. To make such an attempt, the monk merely wills the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 the monk’s level + the monk’s Wis modifier), it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target is no longer in danger from that particular quivering palm attack, but it may still be affected by another one at a later time.
Rend: You must have a Base Attack Bonus of +6 or more to take this ability.
A monk with this ability who hits with two or more unarmed strikes on a single opponent rends that opponent, dealing additional damage to twice her unarmed damage plus 1 ½ her Strength bonus.
This ability cannot be used in a round in which the monk flurries.
Repel the Earth (Su): You must have the Diamond Soul ability to take this ability.
Once per day, the monk can use overland flight on himself and his gear as a supernatural ability.
Timeless Body (Ex): You must have the Diamond Body ability to take Timeless Body.
With this ability, a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place.
Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.
Likewise, any time the monk would take ability damage or drain, the attacker must make a level check (1d20 + attacker’s level and/or HD vs. a DC of 10 + monk’s level) to affect the monk.
Tongue of the Sun and Moon (Ex): You must have Linguistics as a trained skill and have at least 10 ranks in the skill.
A monk with this ability can speak with any living creature that knows a language.
Slow Fall (Ex): You must be trained in the Acrobatics (Tumble) skill to take this ability and have a base Reflex save of +4 or better.
If the monk is within arm’s reach of a wall can use it to slow her descent.
When first using this ability, she takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is. The monk’s ability to slow her fall (that is, to reduce the effective distance of the fall when next to a wall) improves by 10 feet with every other monk level until at 20th level she can use a nearby wall to slow her descent and fall any distance without harm.
Stability: The monk gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Stamina: You gain +2 hit points each level
Still Mind: The monk gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): You must have a Will save of +3 or better to take Uncanny Dodge.
A monk with this ability retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat–footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a monk already has uncanny dodge from a different class, she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.
Undetectable (Su): You must have the Still Mind ability a base Will save of +10 or better.
The monk acts as if under a constant nondetection spell with a caster level equal to his monk level.
Wallwalking (Su): You must have the Fast Movement ability and Focus Ki ability.
As part of a move action, you can run up a vertical surface. If you do not reach a horizontal surface at the end of your movement, you fall.
Waterwalking (Su): You must have the Fast Movement ability, Focus Ki ability and Wallwalking ability.
As part of a move action, you can walk on the surface of water at up to ½ your normal movement rate. If you end your movement while still on the surface of water, you fall in and cannot use this ability again until you leave the water’s confines.
Walk Unseen (Su): You must have the Diamond Soul ability to take Walk Unseen.
Once per day, the monk can make himself invisible. This otherwise acts like an improved invisibility spell cast at the monk’s level.
Warrior’s Heart (Ex): This ability must be taken at 1st level.
The monk’s base attack bonus advances as a fighter (+1 each level) instead of the normal progression.
Wholeness of Body (Su):You must have the Purity of Body ability to take this ability.
A monk with this ability can heal her own wounds. She can heal 1d4 hit points per monk level to herself each day, and she can spread this healing out among several uses.
Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off–hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.
Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.
A monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on Table: The Monk. The unarmed damage on Table: The Monk is for Medium monks. A Small monk deals less damage than the amount given there with her unarmed attacks, while a Large monk deals more damage; see Table: Small or Large Monk Unarmed Damage.
Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

[/sblock]

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Sorry it took so long, that's a lot of text! Here are my thoughts reading through so far:
[sblock]Bonus feats: I assume the 6th level ones are available at 5? If using for PF, I’d just use their bonus feat progression, they gave more bonus feats to a lot of classes.

Insightful Defense: No +1 per X monk levels? Worse than original, and monk AC is terrible. Can the monk use a shield with this? “Unarmored” is vague.

Weapon Skill: Just give monks full BAB. I fought it for a long time, but Ive come to realize it’s necessary.

Monk Talents
Abundant Step: I like PF’s ability to use it more than once/day, once/day is too limiting. PF also made it a move action.
Charm Touch/Strike(?): Not bad, I’d just make it another use of Stunning Fist and otherwise no limits to how many can be charmed or times/day.
Cobra Fang: See above.
Damage Reduction: Just so I’m clear, it’s 1 +1/5 levels, yes? So DR 5 at level 20?
Defensive Stance: I don’t like these sorts of abilities, seldom seems practical in the game. At least include as part of this later level benefits of “can take 5 ft steps” and “not winded when it’s over” if you don’t want to include them right away.
Devotion: Three mid/high level class features for full Paladin casting from a very limited list seems too expensive to me.
Diamond Body: You can make this available sooner, Druids get poison immunity at 8, and monk’s the class that needs help.
Diamond Soul: Fine.
Dragon Punch: Really weak, I’d never take this.
Elemental Affinity: See Dragon Punch.
Elemental Immunity: Not bad, but too costly, IMO.
Elemental Temperance: Too costly, IMO. You know, all three of these would probably be fine if you could choose each morning which energy type to apply it to instead of being stuck forever.
Empty Body: Fine.
Essence of the Wind: I’d rather just use a magic item when needed, but this is alright I guess.
Evasion: Wait, now you’re saying base save. Are all of these requirements base saves or not? I assumed so, until you started differentiating.
Focus Ki: I’m confused, does it benefit all rolls with a chosen skill or save, or just one roll? Can the increased BAB give you another attack?
Fast Movement: Wait…you can’t get both this and Evasion at 3rd level even though original monk has them by then. So…your variant is weaker than normal monk?!
Flow Like Water: Does this require an action to activate? If not, it’s alright, if you do, it sucks.
Flurry of Blows: …Your al la carte system does mean your monks end up with less class features, doesn’t it?[/sblock]

I kinda stopped there. I just don't understand why you need to take things away from the monk. If it was really necessary for awesome, I suppose, but it looks like those are mostly one/day or one/day/5 monk levels low level spell effects... It look like you broke things up too much and didn't give the monk enough talents to make up for it. It's nice to have more options on what do do with your monk, but you also have to fix its core problems first. Thanks for your input, but I don't agree with your houserules.

Remove ads