D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury of Dragons Previews

Weiley31

Legend
I'm not sure I quite see the appeal of the Echo of Dragonsight. So, you already know a very powerful dragon, since they've given you this gift, and now you can use a spell which may break your mind, and if it doesn't, it lets you speak to a dragon on a different planet, who most likely doesn't know an awful lot that's (a) relevant to your particular planet and (b) not also known by the dragon you're already pals with.
The thing is, the "Dragon" your speaking to is one of your Dragon's Echoes, meaning that the other Dragon will potentially understand what you are and thereby giving you somewhat of an advantage in whatever it is your trying to learn from the Echo or ask of it.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The reason it became a distasteful meme thing to say is that in some fields, like journalism say, exposure pays long term dividends. I don't know if WotC pays social media influencers who share their stuff, but it ends up benefitting the social media types with the currency of social media: attention.

In this case, where it's literally "Here's an image, all you need to do is tweet it," I'll accept that. Its very minimal work, for minimal exposure. No real foul play there.

But I completely contest that folks like influencers can be paid for real work through exposure. If instead someone like Ginny D was asked, "Hey, make a well-edited video talking about our upcoming book, its gotta be really funny like your normal vids. We'll retweet it as your payment, think of the exposure!" That's real time and effort they put into stuff like that. If you want someone to shill for it, you should pay for it like any advertiser would.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In this case, where it's literally "Here's an image, all you need to do is tweet it," I'll accept that. Its very minimal work, for minimal exposure. No real foul play there.

But I completely contest that folks like influencers can be paid for real work through exposure. If instead someone like Ginny D was asked, "Hey, make a well-edited video talking about our upcoming book, its gotta be really funny like your normal vids. We'll retweet it as your payment, think of the exposure!" That's real time and effort they put into stuff like that. If you want someone to shill for it, you should pay for it like any advertiser would.
Oh, for sure. For actual work, they ought to pay, and I'm sure they do. But "here's a free image people will want to see, feel free to put it in your social media feed that you monetize" is the rare but legitimate "work for exposure" use case. Magic influencers benefit greatly from getting preview cards they can show off early, for example.

darjr

I crit!
Did these make it yet. If not my apologies for the nightmares.

elder brain dragon.jpeg

beholder dragon.png

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Oh wow, it really is an elder brain just parasitised onto the back of a dragon. That is deeply disturbing. And spewing tadpoles as a breath weapon, then insta-mutating the victims? This thing could convert a town into a Mind Flayer nest wholesale.
Hmmm. Now I'm wondering about other monsters that an Elder Brain could "hijack" like that that, too. Maybe a Tarrasque? Kraken? Or a giant?

Bolares

Hero
I'm not sure I quite see the appeal of the Echo of Dragonsight. So, you already know a very powerful dragon, since they've given you this gift, and now you can use a spell which may break your mind, and if it doesn't, it lets you speak to a dragon on a different planet, who most likely doesn't know an awful lot that's (a) relevant to your particular planet and (b) not also known by the dragon you're already pals with.
Well, I believe that a DM that gives this to a player might have plans for using the gift effectively

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases