D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury: The Dragon Book Now Has A Description... And A Feat

Courtesy of Amazon, we now have a description for Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, the October D&D hardcover. The book introduces gem dragons, dragon-themed player options, and plenty of draconic lore! This joins September's The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, and November's Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos. At D&D Live this weekend, WotC will be revealing a lot more about all three books. It will...

Courtesy of Amazon, we now have a description for Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, the October D&D hardcover. The book introduces gem dragons, dragon-themed player options, and plenty of draconic lore! This joins September's The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, and November's Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos.

At D&D Live this weekend, WotC will be revealing a lot more about all three books. It will be interesting to see if the Dragonlance-themed title means the book has Dragonlance content (I'm hoping for dragonlances and draconians, at least), and whether it settles that old argument of whether Paladine and Takhisis are actually Bahamut and Tiamat, or merely inspired by them.

(Warning: Dragonlance Chronicles spoilers in the cover text, if you haven't read those novels yet!)

fizzy.jpeg

Discover everything there is to know about dragons—the most iconic of D&D monsters—in this quintessential reference guide.

Meet Fizban the Fabulous: doddering archmage, unlikely war hero, divine avatar of a dragon-god—and your guide to the mysteries of dragonkind.

What is the difference between a red dragon and a gold dragon? What is dragonsight? How does a dragon’s magic impact the world around them? This comprehensive guide provides Dungeon Masters with a rich hoard of tools and information for designing dragon-themed encounters, adventures, and campaigns. Dragonslayers and dragon scholars alike will also appreciate its insight into harnessing the power of dragon magic and options for players to create unique, memorable draconic characters.

• Introduces gem dragons to fifth edition!
• Provides Dungeon Masters with tools to craft adventures inspired by dragons, including dragon lair maps and detailed information about 20 different types of dragons
• Adds player character options, including dragon-themed subclasses for monks and rangers, unique draconic ancestries for dragonborn, additional spell options, and a feat
• Presents a complete dragon bestiary and introduces a variety of dragons and dragon-related creatures—including aspects of the dragon gods, dragon minions, and more
• Reveals the story of the First World and the role the dragon gods Bahamut and Tiamat played in its creation and destruction

This is really interesting. I wonder what (if any) connection there is between the Echo Knight, the "Great Wyrm Echoes/Avatars", and the calamity that decimated the First World (which I also presume is going to be the Dawn Wars).
The Echo Knight is from Matt Mercer and is focused on using dunamis, which is associated with time and gravity, to draw on "fading shades of unrealized timelines". The concept from Fizban's as described so far sounds more like a dragon being linked to existing dragons in other worlds rather than alternate timelines, so I'm inclined to believe WotC's designers just used similar terminology for something that isn't quite the same.

I'm more interested in the "why" of this new aspect of dragons. Does WotC want to encourage campaigns that span more than one setting?

Weiley31

Legend
While the whole "Echoes" idea is interesting, I feel like that only "certain" Dragons should be capable of such a thing: the big players like Bahamut, Tiamat , and which ever other ones I can't think of right now.

Cryovane from Dragon of Icespire Peak? Nah that lizard is small fry. That or it severely lacks the training/capacity to do so.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
While the whole "Echoes" idea is interesting, I feel like that only "certain" Dragons should be capable of such a thing: the big players like Bahamut, Tiamat , and which ever other ones I can't think of right now.

Cryovane from Dragon of Icespire Peak? Nah that lizard is small fry. That or it severely lacks the training/capacity to do so.
I like the idea that Cyrovane could get there someday.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm more interested in the "why" of this new aspect of dragons. Does WotC want to encourage campaigns that span more than one setting?
More like they want to encourage people to buy products withDragon opponents, like the Starter Set or Essentials Kit, and feel fee to use them as they see fit. This is their world's echo if Cyrovane.

Undrave

Legend
"Additional spell optionS and A Feat"

Again, when it comes to new spells, D&D makes it rain, but when it comes to feats "Oh we don't want too much bloat" and other excuses...augh.

I wonder if the Draconic Monk will be a replacement for the Four Elements Monk?? and I'm guessing the Ranger will be another Beastmaster variant, but with a drake.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Additional spell optionS and A Feat"

Again, when it comes to new spells, D&D makes it rain, but when it comes to feats "Oh we don't want too much bloat" and other excuses...augh.

I wonder if the Draconic Monk will be a replacement for the Four Elements Monk?? and I'm guessing the Ranger will be another Beastmaster variant, but with a drake.
I mean, you can read the UA that describes both (Subclasses 5 for 2020, IIRC), I doubt they will change fundamentally from that document. The Ranger basically is a full-on Dragon Pokémon Master, who levels up to a Drsgon Rider by the end.

Feats are complicated, since most 0eople don't use that variant rule, per WotC. Making rules that most people don6use is obviously someththst WotC does, but only carefully.

Remove ads

Remove ads