D&D 5E Flamestrike and Stalker0's little adventure

Stalker0

Legend
This thread is to document a particularly little adventure example between Flamestrike and Stalker0.

The last bit:
There appear to be nine of them, including the boss.

You could catch probably half a dozen in a fireball, or 4 plus the boss (he's standing forward of the rest). Fewer with a spell with a different radius.

They do have cover (aside from the boss).
My wizard says "yes one on one". The one being....FIIIIIIREBALLL!!!!

I will hit the hobgoblin and the boss. DC 15 (and fireball ignores cover as it moves around obstacles), damage from my little roller is.....well damn, perfectly average 28.

This thread is to document a particularly little adventure example between Flamestrike and Stalker0.

The last bit:

My wizard says "yes one on one". The one being....FIIIIIIREBALLL!!!!

I will hit the hobgoblin and the boss. DC 15 (and fireball ignores cover as it moves around obstacles), damage from my little roller is.....well damn, perfectly average 28.
Not so fast; as soon as you start casting the Hobgoblin boss screams for his minions to attack and everyone rolls initiative.

You can cast your spell when your turn comes up.

Stalker0

Legend
Just putting down my wizard for my personal ease:

Str: 8
Dex: 12
Con: 16 (15 base, +1 race)
Int: 18 (15 base, +1 race, +2 4th level)
Wis: 11
Cha: 10

Background: Noble

Skills:
Arcana +7
History (from BG) + 7
Investigation +7
Persuasion (from BG) +3
Perception (from race) +3

Feat: War Caster

Known Spells
1st level (11 spells known) - Charm Person, Comprehend Languages (R), Detect Magic (R), False Life, Find Familiar (R), Fog Cloud, Grease, Mage Armor, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant (R)
2nd level (7 spells known) - Augury (R), Enhance Ability, Mirror Image, Misty Step, Scorching Ray, Suggestion, Web
3rd level (7 spells known) - Dispel Magic, Fireball, Fly, Hypnotic Pattern, Leomund's Tiny Hut (R), Speak with Dead, Water Breathing (R)
4th level (5 spells known) - Arcane Eye, Banishment, Evard's Black Tentacles, Fabricate, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

Prepared Spells (Adventuring Day)
*Remember that Wizard's have automatic access to ritual spells. We will assume 11 spells prepared (aka 18 int)

1st level - Mage Armor, Grease, Shield... Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Unseen Servant
2nd level - Scorching Ray, Mirror Image, Misty Step, Web...Augury
3rd level - Dispel Magic, Fireball... Leomund's Tiny Hut, Water Breathing
4th level - Banishment, Evard's Black Tentacles

Prepared Spells (Regular Day)
1st level - Charm Person, Mage Armor, Grease... Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Unseen Servant
2nd level - Enhance Ability, Misty Step, Suggestion...Augury
3rd level - Dispel Magic, Hypnotic Patter, Speak with Dead... Leomund's Tiny Hut, Water Breathing
4th level - Arcane Eye, Fabricate

Initiative is....5+1 = 6

The Hobgoblin mooks got 13 (12+1) and the Boss got 12 (10, +2).

The Fighter charges out to take on the Boss, and the Rogue uses the Aim action to nail him as well.

The Boss hammers the Fighter a few times, hitting once, and then the Archers fire; 4 of them on the Fighter and 4 on you. The Fighter gets nailed with Martial advantage kicking in (he's within 5' of the Boss) and you do as well (but I presume you shield, so both attacks that hit miss)

Rather than hash out the entire combat (1 Hobgoblin Warlord, and 8 Hobgoblins vs your party of 5 PCs) we can assume (as a 'Medium' encounter) that your party are victorious after 3 rounds, with you using a 1st level spell (on Shield, and a 3rd level spell on Fireball) wiping out most of the mooks when you do so, and then falling back on Firebolts to pick off stragglers.

The Cleric is forced to use a 2nd (on Spiritual weapon), and another 2nd on an upcast Cure wounds for the Fighter. The Bard decides to save his spells, but tosses out a Bardic Inspiration for the Fighter, who uses 2 Superiority dice in the fight.

The Fighter and Cleric still have some minimal damage (20 points each) and the Bard gets hit for 10 points, which the (Life) Cleric mostly sorts out with his Channel Divinity (healing 35) after the battle.

If you're curious, this is from the adventure write up:

The Warlord demands single combat with a martial PC. An Intimidate check (DC 15) convinces him it’s a bad idea. On a failure (or refusal), or if anyone casts a spell or takes any hostile action, they attack.

A successful Charisma check vs the Warlord could have saved everyone some valuable resources there ;)

Ok, I presume you push on towards the bridge?

As you get closer (within 30 minutes of the bridge), you can stop for 10 minutes to ritual cast Augury if you want to?

You'll have to stop to do it, as you're on a galloping horse, making for the Temple. Alternatively you can try, but it'll be a DC 10 Concentration check (Con save).

Stalker0

Legend
Rather than hash out the entire combat (1 Hobgoblin Warlord, and 8 Hobgoblins vs your party of 5 PCs) we can assume (as a 'Medium' encounter) that your party are victorious after 3 rounds, with you using a 1st level spell (on Shield, and a 3rd level spell on Fireball) wiping out most of the mooks when you do so, and then falling back on Firebolts to pick off stragglers.

The Cleric is forced to use a 2nd (on Spiritual weapon), and another 2nd on an upcast Cure wounds for the Fighter. The Bard decides to save his spells, but tosses out a Bardic Inspiration for the Fighter, who uses 2 Superiority dice in the fight.

The Fighter and Cleric still have some minimal damage (20 points each) and the Bard gets hit for 10 points, which the (Life) Cleric mostly sorts out with his Channel Divinity (healing 35) after the battle.
Seems reasonable enough. I will go for the concentration check (technically by RAW there is nothing in concentration that should force a check from casting on horseback...but frankly as a DM I would call for the same thing). I have warcaster so I have advantage.

I get a 9+3 = 12, so I will succeed. What does augury say? I would also use investigation (7+7 = 14) to see if there is anything in the hobgoblin camp is importance. I will also send my Raven familiar up 100 feet to take a look around the area, and I will see through its eyes (Perception 2+3 = 5)

Last edited:

Seems reasonable enough. I will go for the concentration check (technically by RAW there is nothing in concentration that should force a check from casting on horseback...but frankly as a DM I would call for the same thing). I have warcaster so I have advantage.

I get a 9+3 = 12, so I will succeed. What does augury say? I would also use investigation (7+7 = 14) to see if there is anything in the hobgoblin camp is importance. I will also send my Raven familiar up 100 feet to take a look around the area, and I will see through its eyes (Perception 2+3 = 5)

Augury result: Weal and Woe.
Investigation: Nothing of note; you deduce from the level of ash and embers in the fire and the lack of a dug latrine, that they havent been here for longer than a night. It was likely a chance encounter.

Re Familiar, you get your Augury result around 15 minutes ride from the Bridge. Do you want to stop there, or continue to 100' from the Bridge and scout the area from there?

Remove ads