D&D 5E Flamestrike and Stalker0's little adventure

I'll have the rogue and my familiar check out the area to make sure there are no ambushes.

The Rogue and Raven both roll Perception with disadvantage due to low light (Passive Perception 18 on the Rogue though, so that's his 'floor') because neither of them have Darkvision (which its that dark already would still likely be at disadvantage anyway) and they cant see much on the other side of the river anyway (its like 50' across).

After a quick scout of this side of the bank, and a fly over they report nothing, but the Rogue lets you know it looks like something (or somethings?) BIG have damaged the bridge; he did notice claw marks on the edge.

Otherwise the area looks all clear.

Assuming the coast is clear, my Wizard will use misty step to cross the 30' hole on the bridge. We will have the team throw me some ropes and I will tie them off and give them a quicky bridge to cross.

You misty step over to the other side, and call the Fighter over to toss you a rope, which he does.

The wizard will smirk as he works, noting "Sorry Mac (the fighter), I still have the long jump record".

As you turn to the Fighter, you see a look of horror cross his face, as a blood curdling cacophony of bellowing and roaring comes up from behind you. Turning around, you see two Cave Trolls (Stealth +4, Advantage from hiding in Rocky terrain, total result = 19!) have emerged from hiding spots in the rocks on the other side of the bridge; they're 20' away from you, and charging at you at a great rate of knots!

Roll initiative. You're surprised on round 1 (as is everyone else, barring the Scout Rogue, who has the Alert feat).

You're alone on the Trolls side of the bridge, but you have tied the rope up.

(I know you might think Im making this one up, but this is legit the encounter! @tetrasodium can verify!)

The Fighter is on 9. The Cleric on 13. The Bard is on 6 (he's a strength bard). They all have pretty naughty word Dexes to be honest (the Bard is the highest with +2 to max out his half plate, and the Cleric and Fighter both are rocking 8's/ -1s because Heavy armor).

Like you, those three are also surprised (as is your Familiar).

Stalker0

Legend
(I know you might think Im making this one up, but this is legit the encounter! @tetrasodium can verify!)
Everything seems up and up so far. I mean an ambush in such a spot is practically an expectation:) But I roleplay the character, and is no one could spot an ambush, then they move forward. Sometimes that turns into a messy business ;)

I got a little luck, initiative 17+1= 18!

assuming they hit attack me, I will use shield on surprise round
If your familiar is around it also needs initiative.

Ill roll out the first and second rounds here.

Rogue goes first; He yells out a warning, takes the Aim action, and fires at one of the Trolls - highest roll is 18 so he hits easily. 26 points of damage. The troll cant use its Rock hide reaction as the Rogue is packing a magical +1 bow.

Next its you, and most other PCs; you're all no longer surprised and can take reactions (lucky for you!).

Next its the Trolls; They lumber up to you on the bridge, and attack; rolls are 8, 6, 4, 14, 20 (ouch!) and 13.

Your AC is 14, and I presume you shield on the first attack that hits, giving you an effective AC of 19 vs their +8 to hit. The first Troll misses with all three attacks (two of them deflected by shield); but the second one (obviously enraged by the arrow in its rubbery hide) hits three times; with a critical hit on the claw. Total damage is 7d8+15!

Total damage is... 49 points. With a Con of 16 - if my calculations are correct you should have (51 HP) so you're up on 2 HP. Lucky boy!

The wounded troll then pulls the arrow from its hide; it's rubbery flesh sealing over.

Next goes the Bard; he's also no longer surprised and can take reactions.

Round 2:

A light rain starts to fall over the battlefield, as the roaring waters below you hem you in, with two enraged Trolls advancing pushing you dangerously closer to the raging waters below!

On the Rogues turn he again Aims, and fires, and again hits (the same Troll). 22 more damage.

Its you next mate. What do you want to do?

Stalker0

Legend
Also the trolls need to go!

I will cast misty step again to cross the bridge, and then move action back another 30 to get to as much safety as I can. I then snap my fingers and attempt to banish one of the Trolls. DC is 15 charisma.

Also the trolls need to go!

I will cast misty step again to cross the bridge, and then move action back another 30 to get to as much safety as I can. I then snap my fingers and attempt to banish one of the Trolls. DC is 15 charisma.

You cant cast a bonus action spell and a normal action spell in the same turn, unless it's a cantrip.

You misty step back across the bridge, move 30' back and...?

Remove ads