Flaming Burst

Baumi

Adventurer
Just a short question:

What will the Damage of a Longsword with Flaming Burst on a Criticial look like?

a) 2d8 + 2d6 + 1d10

or

b) 2d8 + 1d6 +1d10

THX and HAVE FUN!
Baumi

Last edited:

Grog

First Post
Burst enchantments really aren't a very good deal, IMO. For the same price, you can put another elemental damage enchantment on the weapon that will do damage on every hit, instead of only on a crit. In my view that's a better deal.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Actually, last ruling I saw by the sage said otherwise.

It would be 2d8 + 1d10.

He has stated several times that the 1d10 replaces the 1d6.

Not worth +2, so IMC its in addition to.

--Old Timer Spikey

Crothian

First Post
SpikeyFreak said:
Actually, last ruling I saw by the sage said otherwise.

It would be 2d8 + 1d10.

He has stated several times that the 1d10 replaces the 1d6.

Not worth +2, so IMC its in addition to.

--Old Timer Spikey

Well, with this many people listen to Monte since he wrote this section of the book. He said that on a crit both the d6 and d10 happen.

However, you are right that the sage says the d10 replaces the d6. And since when have you been an old timer, Spikey, your as young as the rest of us :D

hammymchamham

First Post
yes, but worth it on something with a x4 crit. An extra 3d10 would be nice (and why I will be adding it to my charecters weapon as soon as he can find some gold :))

Grog

First Post
Crothian said:
except when you run into creatures with resistances, then that extra 1d6 is worthless.

And the d10 isn't worth much more in that case, unless you're talking about a very low resistance. On average, a d6 + a d10 won't beat a resistance of 10.

And when you run into creatures that are immune to critical hits, the burst enchantment is worthless.

Crothian

First Post
Grog said:

And the d10 isn't worth much more in that case, unless you're talking about a very low resistance. On average, a d6 + a d10 won't beat a resistance of 10.

And when you run into creatures that are immune to critical hits, the burst enchantment is worthless.

Well, if your weapon is a x3 or x4 that extra damage become much, much higher. And 1d6+1d10 at least has a chance to defeat restiance 10, where the d6 does not. Against creatures immune to crits, well, use a different weapon :D

hammymchamham

First Post
which is why I am going to get a burst enhancement on my gnomish BP. 4d6+3d10 (elemental) isn't too bad. Oh, and add some sneak attack dice to that too

Remove ads