Flaming Burst

Baumi

Explorer
Just a short question:

What will the Damage of a Longsword with Flaming Burst on a Criticial look like?

a) 2d8 + 2d6 + 1d10

or

b) 2d8 + 1d6 +1d10

THX and HAVE FUN!
Baumi

Last edited:

Grog

Visitor
Burst enchantments really aren't a very good deal, IMO. For the same price, you can put another elemental damage enchantment on the weapon that will do damage on every hit, instead of only on a crit. In my view that's a better deal.

SpikeyFreak

Visitor
Actually, last ruling I saw by the sage said otherwise.

It would be 2d8 + 1d10.

He has stated several times that the 1d10 replaces the 1d6.

Not worth +2, so IMC its in addition to.

--Old Timer Spikey

Crothian

Visitor
SpikeyFreak said:
Actually, last ruling I saw by the sage said otherwise.

It would be 2d8 + 1d10.

He has stated several times that the 1d10 replaces the 1d6.

Not worth +2, so IMC its in addition to.

--Old Timer Spikey
Well, with this many people listen to Monte since he wrote this section of the book. He said that on a crit both the d6 and d10 happen.

However, you are right that the sage says the d10 replaces the d6. And since when have you been an old timer, Spikey, your as young as the rest of us :D

yes, but worth it on something with a x4 crit. An extra 3d10 would be nice (and why I will be adding it to my charecters weapon as soon as he can find some gold :))

Grog

Visitor
Crothian said:
except when you run into creatures with resistances, then that extra 1d6 is worthless.
And the d10 isn't worth much more in that case, unless you're talking about a very low resistance. On average, a d6 + a d10 won't beat a resistance of 10.

And when you run into creatures that are immune to critical hits, the burst enchantment is worthless.

Crothian

Visitor
Grog said:

And the d10 isn't worth much more in that case, unless you're talking about a very low resistance. On average, a d6 + a d10 won't beat a resistance of 10.

And when you run into creatures that are immune to critical hits, the burst enchantment is worthless.
Well, if your weapon is a x3 or x4 that extra damage become much, much higher. And 1d6+1d10 at least has a chance to defeat restiance 10, where the d6 does not. Against creatures immune to crits, well, use a different weapon :D

which is why I am going to get a burst enhancement on my gnomish BP. 4d6+3d10 (elemental) isn't too bad. Oh, and add some sneak attack dice to that too

Baumi

Explorer
I'm not planning in creating a flaming burst weapon, but there is a spell in Defenders of the Faith called "Flame of Faith" wich create temporarily a flaming burst enchantement on a normal Weapon.

It seems that this is really a bit weak enchantement, but as a spell it's ok. How we will use the flaming burst will depend on the GM after seeing that it is not clear by the books ... but thanks for your answers! :cool:

Have FUN!
Baumi

Hawkeye

Community Supporter
I can understand the logic of having a creature that is immune to critical hits, however, does this make them immune to a burst ability? I thought they just used the critical hit as the mechanic for when the burst goes off. You don't get the extra weapon damage since the creature in question is immune to critical hits, but the burst still goes off since the mechanics indicate that it did.

Hawkeye

hong

WotC's bitch
hammymchamham said:
which is why I am going to get a burst enhancement on my gnomish BP. 4d6+3d10 (elemental) isn't too bad. Oh, and add some sneak attack dice to that too
Don't forget to make it keen, and get Improved Crit as well. x4 crits on an 18-20 is ouchy!

hong: right now he's lvl 10, I plan to get improved crit at 12th. he just got Keen put on his trusty weapon. in our campaign its pretty much 'if its in the DMG you can buy it in this one city, but else where its a problem.' so the problem is getting to that one city...alive

hammymchamham said:
hong: right now he's lvl 10, I plan to get improved crit at 12th. he just got Keen put on his trusty weapon. in our campaign its pretty much 'if its in the DMG you can buy it in this one city, but else where its a problem.' so the problem is getting to that one city...alive
Also, if you've got the funding, and a flexible enough DM, ask if you can get a Screaming Burst on your Crit Pick o'Doom.

Screaming Burst: +2 enhancement bonus

As Screaming, but adds d10 Sonic damage on critical hits. If crit multiplier is x3, +2d10, and x4, +3d10. (CL: 12+, preq. Craft Magic Arms & Armor, shout or sound burst)

We use that as a replacement for Thundering, since, well, Thundering ain't that useful. And very few creatures have sonic resistance or immunity.

For a while, my character had a crit-pick of doom, +1 screaming burst shocking burst. I didn't actually use it, as I critted once/blue moon, and so it got sold for capital to buy a Skin of the Hero.

Brad

going for acidic burst. someone already has screaming burst, one has flamming burst, and another shocking. And since I'm playing an underdark race, acid seems to be more in line with the whole Earth subtype

Advertisement