• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

flaming sphere and invisibility

Liquidsabre

Explorer
wilder_jw said:
And there you have it folks.

Wow.

Down boy. Note, that your obvious lack of civility can be awfully debilitating to your arguments.

Is it so hard to understand that the same spell is defined as an attack or not depending upon it's effect??

"All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, OR that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks. Spells that summon monsters or other allies are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone."

So a spell must have one or more of these effects to be considered an attack: must be resisted by a saving throw, deal damage, OR harm/hamper subjects.

So a spell that is not resisted by a saving throw (mass cure light wounds for example on allies who are healed by it and don't make saving throws to resist) is not considered an attack.

A spell that does not deal damage is not considered an attack.

A spell that does not otherwise harm or hamper an opponent is not considered an attack.

If any one of these conditions are met then the spell is considered an attack and the caster becomes visible.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Liquidsabre said:
Down boy. Note, that your obvious lack of civility can be awfully debilitating to your arguments.

Only in the case of a reader who doesn't rely on logic.

Is it so hard to understand that the same spell is defined as an attack or not depending upon it's effect??

It's very hard to understand when it results in absurdity.

"All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, OR that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks. Spells that summon monsters or other allies are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone."

That's not the entire rule.

"Attacks: Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents are considered attacks. Attempts to turn or rebuke undead count as attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks. Spells that summon monsters or other allies are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone."

The Hypersmurf Interpretation -- which is demonstrably absurd, but with which you seem to agree -- relies upon reading the passages beginning with 'Attempts to turn ... ' as further definition of "attacking." If, instead, they are simply read as (not exhaustive) examples of attacking, it is possible, as I showed, to read and interpret the rule in a consistent way that doesn't lead to absurdities. That is, an attack is an "offensive combat action" -- it depends upon "intent."

Note that this dovetails with actual physical attacks, in which one does not have to harm or hamper an opponent in order for it to be considered an attack ... one only has to intend to do so.) In other words, if you're invisible and you swing (intent to injure) and miss (no effect of injury or hampering), you still have attacked, and you are no longer invisible. Note that this is an "offensive combat action."

Also note that the last sentence of the rule is clearly an example, not "further definition." I contend that the sentences beyond the definition of "attacking" are also examples of what might constitute an attack or not, and not definitions.

I just thought of an even greater absurdity under the Hypersmurf Interpretation:

Under that reading of a the rule, if a wizard casts a spell upon a creature with Spell Resistance, and doesn't pass the SR, that creature does not resist with a saving throw ... and the wizard has not "attacked"!

For that matter, a wizard can cast any spell at all -- except an [electricity] spell or rusting grasp -- against an iron golem, and, because the golem is immune to magic, and doesn't "resist with a saving throw," the wizard has not "attacked" the golem!

Clearly, "all spells that an opponent resists with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hinder" has a different meaning than you and Hypersmurf seem to believe. It is clearly based upon intent, rather than on effect. (Note that this matches what the Sage has said regarding casting fireball. It also matches the text of the invisibility spell, which specifically says that an attack is dependent upon the invisible character's perceptions ... i.e., upon his intent.)

The rule is worded ambiguously. That is why you have to consider each possible interpretation in light of the results arising from that interpretation. If the results of one interpretation are absurd -- as they are from Hypersmurf's -- you move to the next.

Last edited:

I'm with Wilder. You can't expect a rule to cover every conceivable situation, and that's when DM common sense kicks in.

It's obvious that there's more than one interpretation of the rule so no matter what you believe as a DM, your players are going to have a valid argument to counter your decision. That's when the DM's decision as final arbiter comes in handy.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
wilder_jw said:
The Hypersmurf Interpretation -- which is demonstrably absurd, but with which you seem to agree -- relies upon reading the passages beginning with 'Attempts to turn ... ' as further definition of "attacking."

Certainly. Or, alternatively, as further examples of 'attacking', as 'all offensive combat actions' is an example of 'attacking'.

Under that reading of a the rule, if a wizard casts a spell upon a creature with Spell Resistance, and doesn't pass the SR, that creature does not resist with a saving throw ... and the wizard has not "attacked"!

What makes you think SR is checked before the save is rolled?

The Saving Throw appears before SR in the spell's stat block, after all.

It also matches the text of the invisibility spell, which specifically says that an attack is dependent upon the invisible character's perceptions ... i.e., upon his intent.)

It says that the definition of 'foe' is dependent upon the invisible character's perceptions, where for the purposes of invisibility, any spell that targets a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe is considered an attack.

If I stick my sword in someone I do not perceive to be a foe, that's still an attack.

If I cast Detect Magic so that its area includes someone I do not perceive to be a foe, that's not an attack, since it doesn't fit the Magic Overview definition of 'attack', nor the special additional rules for what invisibility considers an 'attack'.

If someone I do perceive to be a foe is in that area, though, the invisibility description defines that as an 'attack'.

The caster's perception of foes doesn't apply to the Magic Overview definition of 'attack', only to the additional rules within the invisibility spell.

-Hyp.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
What makes you think SR is checked before the save is rolled?

Well, if nothing else it's the simplest approach. If the wizard doesn't bypass SR, there's no need to worry about whether there's a partial save, or a strange save-effect, or whatever. Whether it's codified or not -- and I'm quite willing to take your word that it's not -- I bet at least 90 percent of DMs, when they remember SR, check it first.

The Saving Throw appears before SR in the spell's stat block, after all.

Buh? So what? It appears in the opposite order in the monster's stat-block.

If I stick my sword in someone I do not perceive to be a foe, that's still an attack.

That is an assertion that follows from your argument. It is not actually an argument. (But it is a fairly good example of another absurdity of your interpretation.)

If I cast Detect Magic so that its area includes someone I do not perceive to be a foe, that's not an attack, since it doesn't fit the Magic Overview definition of 'attack', nor the special additional rules for what invisibility considers an 'attack'.

It's not an attack because it isn't an "offensive combat action," either.

The difference between the Hypersmurf Interpretation and the Wilder Interpretation is that the HI requires a DM to check the rules to determine that detect magic doesn't qualify as an attack. Meanwhile, all one has to know under the WI is that detect magic isn't intended to harm, hamper, or cause damage.

The caster's perception of foes doesn't apply to the Magic Overview definition of 'attack', only to the additional rules within the invisibility spell.

That is an assertion that follows from your argument. It is not actually an argument. I have demonstrated repeatedly how one can logically interpret the rule in such a way that this assertion is false.

Instead of recognizing that there are certain absurditues the result from your interpretation, and considering the possibility that your interpretation just might be incorrect, you have chosen to embrace the absurdities, like so:

Hypersmurf said:
Casting fireball on an area that includes a goblin? That's an attack. Casting fireball on an area that only includes your healed-by-fire creature? Not an attack.

To which I have to repeat: "Wow."

Jeff

Majere

First Post
Gah
Too many rules lawyers, not enough gamers.

Attack = Im trying to hurt you, its all intent.

Invisibility has always been about intent. If you try to DIRECTLY injure someone, you become visible.
If you do it indirectly you get away with it (GF summon monster).
If you do it unknowingly, there was no INTENT.

Majere

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads