• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

flaming sphere and invisibility

Nail

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I'd either make that an automatic fail or have a hefty penalty on the save (maybe -4).
That's not only harsh, but wrong by RAW.

This is a 2nd level spell we're talking about, after all. One that can do damage round after round. Making the save an auto-fail if you stay in the same square is...well, harsh.

Moreover, the text of the spell does not even remotely support your stance.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I agree with this, but what about when the character wants to remain in the same space as a flaming sphere? I'd either make that an automatic fail or have a hefty penalty on the save (maybe -4). I'd probably make it an automatic fail unless the character was tiny since the sphere has a 5-foot radius.

But when the caster moves it into your space, you don't have the option of not-remaining in the space... it isn't your turn!

So if you make your Reflex save, you are remaining in the same space as the sphere without taking any damage.

-Hyp.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
So if you make your Reflex save, you are remaining in the same space as the sphere without taking any damage.

Which leads to the method every DM I've ever seen uses: if, on the caster's turn, the flaming sphere is moved to or stays in the same square as a creature, the creature makes its Reflex save or takes damage.

Jeff

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
wilder_jw said:
Which leads to the method every DM I've ever seen uses: if, on the caster's turn, the flaming sphere is moved to or stays in the same square as a creature, the creature makes its Reflex save or takes damage.

But if the sphere moved into my square last round, and I made my Reflex save, then wherever I am in the square is somewhere the sphere isn't burning me, right?

So if the sphere doesn't move, and I don't move, why should I have to make a new save?

If the sphere, on the caster's turn, is already in a creature's square, does it deal damage and stop moving for the round? Or does it deal damage, and then allow the caster to move it as normal?

All of these questions go away if you play it as written :)

-Hyp.

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
Because when the sphere "isn't moving", it's just like a character that "isn't moving" -- it's somewhere in the same 5 ft. square, but not necessarily in the exact same place it was six seconds ago?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
coyote6 said:
Because when the sphere "isn't moving", it's just like a character that "isn't moving" -- it's somewhere in the same 5 ft. square, but not necessarily in the exact same place it was six seconds ago?

It's even more likely, as you implied, the character isn't exactly in the same place in the square he was six seconds ago.

Is anyone else picturing Hypersmurf's fighter, carefully arched over a five-foot diameter burning sphere, arm outstretched and baaaaarely moving as he tries in vain to attack and parry? "It's -- ah, careful, hot -- all in the -- sss, ah ah ah -- wrist!" Heh.

Out of curiosity, Hypersmurf, in your campaign, are characters (or would characters be) allowed to stand in the same square as a five-foot diameter bonfire, without worrying about taking damage?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
wilder_jw said:
Out of curiosity, Hypersmurf, in your campaign, are characters (or would characters be) allowed to stand in the same square as a five-foot diameter bonfire, without worrying about taking damage?

We house-ruled Flaming Sphere :)

It deals its damage from an adjacent square - the last five feet of movement that would move it into a creature's square don't actually move the sphere, but rather cause it to 'flare' in that direction, dealing damage and ending the sphere's movement for the round.

Creatures can move through a square containing a Flaming Sphere, but they can't end their turn in that square... much like moving through a square occupied by a creature who doesn't hinder you.

-Hyp.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
We house-ruled Flaming Sphere

Huh. That seems pretty extreme, for a spell that I really don't think causes many problems in play. It certainly seems easier and more consistent to just read the spell description less strictly and apply common sense.

But hey ... whatever works for you.

Jeff

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads