• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

flaming sphere and invisibility

Nail

First Post
wilder_jw said:
.... apply common sense.
But, that's the whole problem, you see.

The sphere has a 5 foot diameter. The square you are in is only 5 feet wide. Common sense would tell you.....well, let's just say common sense and the game don't agree here.

In our game we didn't stick closely to the "must move" part of that description.....and thus the spell is quite nasty.

OTOH, foes often take a 5 foot step on their turn, which means the sphere must be move to catch up with them. Same result, I guess.

Bad Paper

First Post
re: staying in the same square

When I adjudicate F.S. I do it this way:
1) No way in Gehenna is the spongy mass actually 5' diameter. Its effective (flaming) volume is 5', but its true diameter is smaller, yet undefined. This way you can occupy the same square without being affected.
2) The reflex save (and its increase for a more talented spellcaster) implies that it's this agitated ball of flame, shaking randomly. So you can't just make your save and stand next to it; it's twitching and threatening you, so you have to keep jumping out of its way...meaning ongoing reflex saves.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Bad Paper said:
When I adjudicate F.S. I do it this way:
1) No way in Gehenna is the spongy mass actually 5' diameter. Its effective (flaming) volume is 5', but its true diameter is smaller, yet undefined. This way you can occupy the same square without being affected.
2) The reflex save (and its increase for a more talented spellcaster) implies that it's this agitated ball of flame, shaking randomly. So you can't just make your save and stand next to it; it's twitching and threatening you, so you have to keep jumping out of its way...meaning ongoing reflex saves.

That's pretty much exactly how we do it, although I don't think it's necessary to say that it's "twitching and threatening." It's a fire, five feet in diameter, and you're standing practically on top of it. Make your Reflex save to avoid taking damage.

It works perfectly well, and we've had zero power problems with the spell.

Jeff

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
We've houseruled it differently: instead of a flaming sphere, it's a gout of flame that bursts forth from the ground, scorching enemies. It doesn't block traffic, and it's not a freakin' sponge. It takes a MEA to get the flames to burst forth.

Huh. I guess we houseruled it into a competely new spell, yeah? That's okay; that's how we play.

Daniel

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hong, have you ever tried to light a sponge on fire? Let me tell you two important truths:
1) They burn real stinky; and
2) Your wife gets mad.

Daniel

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Hong, have you ever tried to light a sponge on fire? Let me tell you two important truths:
1) They burn real stinky; and
2) Your wife gets mad.

Hopefully -- God, please -- we're not talking about Today® sponges?

Jeff

dunbruha

First Post
invisibility and delayed blast fireball

Saeviomagy said:
Here's my take on it:

You remain invisible while directing a flaming sphere.

Why? Because your action does not cause the save. You direct the sphere, the sphere takes the action, the sphere causes the save.

In the same way that a bad guy could be invisible and tell his minions to attack, or a caster could let a summoned monster go off and thwack someone, and both would remain invisible.

In the case of melf's acid arrow - if I cast melf's at someone, and then a quickened invisibility, do I become visible when the target takes damage on the next round?

No

If I summon a monster, then become invisible, then the monster attacks someone - I stay invisible.

If I tell the monster what to do, and it attacks, I stay invisible.

In fact, if I summon the monster while invisible, then it attacks, I stay invisible.

So if I tell the burning sponge what to do, and it attacks, I should also stay invisible.

So what happens when an invisible wizard casts a delayed balst fireball with intent to attack? Does he turn visible when it is cast (no saving throws are made yet), or when the fireball goes off (and does damage)?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
dunbruha said:
So what happens when an invisible wizard casts a delayed balst fireball with intent to attack? Does he turn visible when it is cast (no saving throws are made yet), or when the fireball goes off (and does damage)?

To my mind this is somewhat similar to casting an ongoing offensive spell -- say, blade barrier -- into an area of anti-magic. The fact that there's no immediate effect doesn't negate the intent ... it's an attack, and invisibility ends.

Jeff

Nail

First Post
Does the "intent" arguement break down in the case of "accidentally" attacking someone?

BTW, Jeff, I admit I had to google the sponge joke. Eeew. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads