Flaming Sphere questions

Gez

First Post
It's house rule, but myself I manage this spell as such:
  • Everyone in the same square as the sphere takes damage
  • When the sphere move in a square you are in, you get a Reflex save to jump out of the square, effectively making you move 5 feet.
  • If you purposefully enter in a square occupied by the sphere, you don't get the saving throw.

It's not the exact wording of the spell, but it's that. The square to which you move in is always a free square, usually one out of the way of the sphere (your instinctive movement makes you jump perpendicularly to the sphere's movement, contrarily to these cartoons were people try to not been squished by a train by running on the railroad faster than the train). This square is chosen by the DM if needs be. If no square is free (each square around you is occupied by something), you enter on the square of someone (which may provoke AoO). If no way out are possible (you are in the bottom of a 5 ft. × 5 ft. pit and a wizard made the sphere fall on you, for example) you don't get a save.

Pielorinho said:
First, IMC I describe it differently: for my game, it's a gout of fire from the ground that the caster can direct.

Heh, do some call him 'Tim?' :p

I think I may make the spell act this way in my campain too. My (Dwarven) Wizard player seems to be overly fond of it, and of course is as big a Monte Python fan as I am...

Yes our games are over-flowing with MP references.

Hatchling Dragon

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hatchling Dragon said:
Heh, do some call him 'Tim?' :p

Mercifully, none call him 'Tim.' If they did, we'd have words.

(So far, actually, the spell's only come up once in my game: an evil sorcerer used it on the party as part of an ambush. I wanted the ambush to seem particularly hellish, so I modified spell descriptions on the fly to seem extra-scary; flaming sphere ended up as a gout of flame.)

Daniel

Remove ads