Flaws

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I've allowed them, but I'd be wary of allowing any from Dragon magazine. The Unearthed Arcana ones are harsh enough that it shouldn't matter when you show them to a minmaxer, and will actually come up in play, addin to the fun of the session IMO (ah, my friend's Feeble wizard and his bad, bad, climb check modifier).

Realistically though, an extra feat or two at first level doens't seriously hurt game balance. I am not going to allow them in the future, I will just up the frequency of feats instead.

Rav

Seeten

First Post
These are lame, and I wouldnt allow them. My grappler has murky vision and cant fire a bow, so I get more grappling feats! Yay.

Ugh.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'd be willing to allow them in exchange for some of the more flavorful, generally weaker feats, and only if there is an RP justification.

For example, if your character has keen eyes but bad hearing, I'd let you take a feat that gives a +2 bonus to search and spot checks, while taking a flaw that grants -4 to listen checks and sense motive checks.

I would not, however, let you take a melee-oriented flaw (like non-combatant, which gives a negative to your melee attacks) in exchange for a metamagic feat for example.

Last edited:

Laurel

First Post
We are allowed to take them- only 2 taken max from UA and the bonus feat gets approval by DM/group. We also have a rule that you can't take a flaw and a feat of the same type. For instance we can't take the flaw for negative hp and then take the hardness feat or a Con bonus feat. It hasn't drastically changed the game.

Laman Stahros

First Post
I allow them in my game and I haven't seen any problems with them. The GM must remember to bring them up in game every so often. If the GM doesn't, then the player has gained a freebie and it is the GM's fault.

jcfiala

Explorer
I allowed them in one game, and most of the players took them - but generally they tended to pop up and restrict play in one way or another. It seems like a fairly safe option, as long as you restrict it to one flaw.

Cephid

First Post
All this sounds interesting. More developed and focused characters.
Where can I find a list of all these flaws on line?

Magesmiley

Explorer
I do allow flaws in my game. I use them pretty much as presented in UA. It can make for more powerful characters - a starting character can begin further up a feat chain if they wish. However, since I run a fairly high-powered campaign it is not as noticable.

Remove ads