• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FLGS List for London & England

Huw

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
As a result I've transferred my affections to Playin' Games which has everything open to browse (and seems to have a wider selection too).

Playin' Games is my favourite FLGS as well - except I'm in Southampton now so it's not that local.

Plane Sailing said:
Forbidden Planet only has a very small selection.

Forbidden Planet in Southampton has far more variety. It's practically next to Hidden Fortress (mentioned above; it's better for boardgames). Hidden Fortress also have an upstairs room for running games and tournaments.

Otakar's and Waterstone's bookshops have a reasonable selection.

OakwoodDM

First Post
Mark Hope said:
If you are anywhere near Cambridge, check out Gamers in the nearby town of St. Neots (west of Cambridge along the A428). A great little store with a great little stash of OOP material (some on the shelves, some out back - the owner usually doesn't mind if you have a rummage).

There is a Forbidden Planet in Cambridge itself, but it's hardly worth a visit as its selection is very poor. Unlike the Forbidden Planet up in Newcastle, which has an awesome game section - but that might be a little out of your way...

I'll second Gamers. It's a good place, and the owner's really nice.

Forbidden Planet in Cambridge really isn't all that worth visiting at all for RPG. It really only has the basic stuff. The comics, card games and figurines tend to be fairly well stocked, and they have D&D Minis, and a selection of SJG type games.

Other than that, in Cambridge, there's pretty much nothing. Borders has a basic D&D/White Wolf selection, and Lingards Games has about 5 D&D books.

GoldieDavid

Explorer
That's just great. I lived there for six years and now I'm back in the antipodes you guys tell me that there are other stores than the Ork's Nest? More to the point Cuthulu guy - Do you know any good stores in Auckland?

wmasters

First Post
For london, the Forbidden Planet multistore isn't bad, on Shaftesbury Avenue. I was going to call it new, but I guess it's not any more. I'd second or third Hidden Fortress in Southampton as my preferred FLGS, but possibly I'm somewhat biased in that opinion since I used to work there.

The Games Shop in Aldershot is pretty good, on the main street, that's pretty much where Esdevium (one of the main UK distributors) is based.

There's a little place in Canterbury, which is a nice place but not very big, not sure about stock there. Or White Knight Games in Reading - same situation.

Some of the other big names I can think of - Travelling Man - can't remember where these are, I think it might be Leeds and Sheffield? Also Fanboy3 in Manchester might be worth a look if you're that way.

Sammael

Adventurer
I was in London about two months ago, so I went to both Orcs Nest and Playin' Games (I was in Astor Museum Inn in Montague St., about 1 minute away from Playin' Games).

From what I've seen, Orcs Nest has no OOP books whatsoever. They have a wide selection of current d20 materials, and lots of unpainted miniatures, but that's about it.

Playin' Games does have some OOP products, but not a whole lot. On the other hand, their selection of board games, card games, and so on is a whole lot better, and the overall store feeling is much nicer (for some reason, Orcs Nest didn't even look like a RPG store to me).

Neither store carries D&D miniatures singles, which irked me.

OakwoodDM

First Post
wmasters said:
Some of the other big names I can think of - Travelling Man - can't remember where these are, I think it might be Leeds and Sheffield? Also Fanboy3 in Manchester might be worth a look if you're that way.

There's a Travelling Man in Manchester. It's pretty good, has quite a wide variety of games, and solid stock levels.

cthulhu_duck

First Post
Wow - many many thanks for the answers so far folks - to answer GoldieDavid's question quickly:
GoldieDavid said:
More to the point Cuthulu guy - Do you know any good stores in Auckland?
Heroes for Sale, Karangahape Rd (www.heroes4sale.co.nz), I'd consider a good store for New Zealand - other places that are or have stocked RPG gear in Auckland include Vagabond (Queen St and ...Takapuna (www.vagabond.co.nz)) Historic Games and Urban Warfare (both in Newmarket) and possibly King of Cards (somewhere on Queen St, not sure what it stocks beyond Magic).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Huw said:
Chandler's Ford. I go to Hidden Fortress about once a month.

Well, if you ever find yourself in need of a game, drop me an email. We play every Thursday in Netley.

Remove ads