FLGS Research

Nellisir

Hero
Probably one of the most significant findings was that stores fit into 7 categories: Comic Focussed, Gaming Store, Gift and Games, Miniature Wargames Store, The Card Gaming Shop, The Diverse Store, and The Comic Store.

I've wondered about a "print media" focused store: newsstand, popular books, comic books, games (rpg & board). Obviously there are problems with this in with the rise of the ipad, but did you run across anything in that vein?

I worked in a bookstore for a number of years that was run as a sideline by a company that primarily dealt with newstands & magazines. Awesome magazine selection, great books, but I always thought their downtown location could of had half the floor space & made 90% of the same sales. They folded the whole chain in the late '90s. I still think there's a newstand-sized hole in downtown, near the State House....

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I've wondered about a "print media" focused store: newsstand, popular books, comic books, games (rpg & board). Obviously there are problems with this in with the rise of the ipad, but did you run across anything in that vein?

There are a few stores that came close, but nothing matches exaclty what you seem to be suggesting.

Their was a store called Dragon Lady Comics that carried vintage magazines as well as comics and a few classic pulp books (the second oldest store in Toronto at the time of my research). It has since closed, a new store, The Comic Lounge and Gallery has opened nearby.

BMV books (several locations) has a good number of comic back-issues and graphic novels, but it is chiefly a used bookstore. I ended up excluding it from my research for this reason. I don't remember it having any magazines.

The Paperback Exchange/The Comic Room in Scarborough -- as the name suggests this store blends a used bookstore with a full fledge comic-focussed store.

Sci-Fi world - a diverse store (games+comics) up at Steeles+Dufferin (Toronto), carries a good selection of sci-fi and fantasy novels. I don't believe that they carry general magazines.

Lots of comic or diverse stores carry things like "Archie's" or Manga, but this doesn't really match the criteria of having "newstand" magazines.

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
BMV books (several locations) has a good number of comic back-issues and graphic novels, but it is chiefly a used bookstore. I ended up excluding it from my research for this reason. I don't remember it having any magazines.

Sci-Fi world - a diverse store (games+comics) up at Steeles+Dufferin (Toronto), carries a good selection of sci-fi and fantasy novels. I don't believe that they carry general magazines.

BMV does carry a limited selection of magazines. However, they are primarily focused on used books and anything else is ancillary for them now.

Sci-Fi World closed down a few years ago and became Legends Warehouse in Vaughan at 400 & Langstaff. They have a large back area for gaming and carry a number of gaming items, collectibles, toys, clothing and similar items. They have a smallish comic back stock and some industry specific magazines.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
BMV does carry a limited selection of magazines. However, they are primarily focused on used books and anything else is ancillary for them now.

Sci-Fi World closed down a few years ago and became Legends Warehouse in Vaughan at 400 & Langstaff. They have a large back area for gaming and carry a number of gaming items, collectibles, toys, clothing and similar items. They have a smallish comic back stock and some industry specific magazines.

BMV - It depends on their location. It has been a little while since I made it to their Bloor location (471 Bloor St W west), but the whole top floor is dedicated to comic books. The reason it was excluded from the analysis is partially because the rest of the stores only have a few comics.

Sci-Fi world - interesting it was still operating Sept 2010. It was actually one of only 3 stores that declined to be a part of my Study. I had heard of Legends Warehouse but didn't realize there was a connection. One of these days I will have to make it up there.

Does anyone know what happened to the Store Locator that EnWorld had?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads